aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

I already made mine, and it was for the Stones, or...Funkadelic; pseudo-alien stoners play psyche-rock-funk and make wearing a nappy a statement whilst promoting Afro-Space Futuristic nonsense. Sold enough, huge influence, had CHARACTER.

'Some Girls' in mostly great, Faraway Eyes is the greatest bit of faux Country I done ever heard, Cletus.

OK, so you could argue that Fugazi have had a big cultural influence or that Queen had more polished arrangements, but is anyone going to seriously try and argue that they are The Best Band Ever ahead of The Beatles? That's kind of what I was saying in my first post, that there were a number of reasons why I think The Beatles could reasonably lay claim to that title.

I think McCartney is ace. Why the hate? I like his solo work a fair bit too. Live footage seems to show he's still got quite a rugged voice on him despite him being old enough to be queing up in the Post Office to collect his state pennies. A thoroughly good egg.

He makes me cringe. That song with the mandolin - walking down the street in a suit and a pair of Converse pulling cheesies, something about dancing around or something? GADS

He makes me cringe. That song with the mandolin - walking down the street in a suit and a pair of Converse pulling cheesies, something about dancing around or something? GADS

I think he's got a few decent solo tunes, but some real stinkers as well. That one being a case in point.

OK, so you could argue that Fugazi have had a big cultural influence or that Queen had more polished arrangements, but is anyone going to seriously try and argue that they are The Best Band Ever ahead of The Beatles? That's kind of what I was saying in my first post, that there were a number of reasons why I think The Beatles could reasonably lay claim to that title.

You could feasibly argue that, due to them paving the way for rock and roll in general, Ike Turner's Kings Of Rhythm were the most influential band and possibly the best band. Their particular song "Rocket 88" (incidentaly a cracking song) is widely regarded as the first rock and roll song. You wouldn't have artists like the Beatles without rock and roll.

What's the criteria? It's such a broad and subjective topic.

Solo careers are always laced with stinkers. They;ve got no one to construct with. No one to tear apart the songs and criticise them. They just write the whole thing and say "Yeah, this is fucking ace", and inevitably lose the plot and release records of absolute nonsense. I can't think of many solo artists who have been going for quite some time who haven't really gone flying off the rails. Perhaps Bruce Springsteen?

Solo careers are always laced with stinkers. They;ve got no one to construct with. No one to tear apart the songs and criticise them. They just write the whole thing and say "Yeah, this is fucking ace", and inevitably lose the plot and release records of absolute nonsense. I can't think of many solo artists who have been going for quite some time who haven't really gone flying off the rails. Perhaps Bruce Springsteen?

Human Touch, Lucky Town, Santa Claus is Coming to Town....

Human Touch, Lucky Town, Santa Claus is Coming to Town....

They are all good! (I'm being serious, and I'm only a casual Springsteen fan).

To answer the question though, Paul Simon has been fairly consistent. He had a period in the late 70s/early 80s where he wasn't commercially succesful, but the two albums he made then (One Trick Pony and Hearts and Bones) are actually pretty good, I guess they just weren't hits because they didn't have any hit singles on them.

His "noughties" output is a bit circumspect but still decent enough.

Some points;

McCartney's solo/Wings output was better than Lennon's. Ram, Band On The Run and McCartney are stronger albums than anything Lennon ever managed. Plastic Ono Band is good, but it's half-finished and sounds half-arsed in places. Imagine sounds awful, the production ruins it.

There is barely a pop musician from the 60s or 70s that doesn't cite the Beatles as one of their biggest influences. Dylan, Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Bowie and yes, the Stones have all acknowledged their massive contribution and would all agree that pop music as we know it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for them.

If trying to emulate The Beatles drove someone as talented as Brian Wilson to permanent mental instability, what does that say about their own talent?

If The Beatles were in the "right place at the right time", why aren't we having this conversation about Gerry and the Pacemakers?

The Rolling Stones made some appalling albums in the mid to late 60s (Their Satanic Majesties Request, anybody?), and only rediscovered their fire once they'd stopped trying to compete with The Beatles on their own terms and got back to basics.

apart from the bit about wings, all good points. where's the fun in backing up the beatles though? be as well just close the thread if you're gonna do that :)

I think McCartney is ace. Why the hate? I like his solo work a fair bit too. Live footage seems to show he's still got quite a rugged voice on him despite him being old enough to be queing up in the Post Office to collect his state pennies. A thoroughly good egg.

My hate for Paul is based mostly on Wonderful Christmas Time, formed during a brief stint at Clydesdale Electric as 16 year old where it was endlessly looped.

Also, chucks and a suit = cunt. Still, I enjoy most of his music very much.

They are all good! (I'm being serious, and I'm only a casual Springsteen fan).

I'm obsessive but can't argue that they are a bit shit. The songwriting is decent enough (I love the song Lucky Town) but the production and the "session musician" sound.....oh wait, wrong thread!

Beatles were nae bad. Springsteen encored with Twist and Shout at Hampden recently.

My dislike of John Lennon, on the other hand, is for his contribution to our society in influencing a generation of young men to buy a guitar and become womanising drunks.

Ha. I've read Cynthia Lennon's book, and it's fairly clear to me that a cunt. A talented one mind, but a cunt never the less.

I'm obsessive but can't argue that they are a bit shit. The songwriting is decent enough (I love the song Lucky Town) but the production and the "session musician" sound.....oh wait, wrong thread!

Beatles were nae bad. Springsteen encored with Twist and Shout at Hampden recently.

Aye, maybe the sound was a bit crap, but a few good songs. Probably should have made one good album instead of two not-so-great ones (White Album syndrome). Pony Boy and If I Should Fall Behind are two good little tracks.

Aye, maybe the sound was a bit crap, but a few good songs. Probably should have made one good album instead of two not-so-great ones (White Album syndrome). Pony Boy and If I Should Fall Behind are two good little tracks.

giddy up giddy up giddy up wooooaaaaaaah, my Pony boy. That's that in my head for the rest of the afternoon! Definitely one album would have sufficed. I think that about The River also.

My dislike of John Lennon, on the other hand, is for his contribution to our society in influencing a generation of young men to buy a guitar and become womanising drunks.

......and buy tinted spectacles. Gads.

I can't think of many solo artists who have been going for quite some time who haven't really gone flying off the rails. Perhaps Bruce Springsteen?

Every artist from the 60s and 70s went fucking bananas in the 80s. I'm glad Lennon and Elvis died before they had the chance to release their "Frog Chorus".

Case in point:

jj6gx5f2.jpg

Every artist from the 60s and 70s went fucking bananas in the 80s. I'm glad Lennon and Elvis died before they had the chance to release their "Frog Chorus".

Case in point:

jj6gx5f2.jpg

Oooo I'm afraid Elvis had his own share of horrors in the 60's for his film soundtracks.....

Bob Dylan, renowned and much admired for his complex lyrics. 'Wiggle Wiggle' however was not quite in this category -

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a gypsy queen

Wiggle wiggle wiggle all dressed in green

Wiggle wiggle wiggle till the moon is blue

Wiggle till the moon sees you.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle in your boots and shoes

Wiggle wiggle wiggle you got nothing to loose

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a swarm of bees

Wiggle on your hands and knees.

Wiggle to the front wiggle to the rear

Wiggle till you wiggle right out of here

Wiggle till it opens wiggle till it shuts

Wiggle till it bites wiggle till it cuts.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soap

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a rolling hoop

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a ton of lead

Wiggle you can raise the dead.

Wiggle till you're high wiggle till you're higher

Wiggle till you vomit fire

Wiggle till it whispers wiggle till it hums

Wiggle till it answers wiggle till it comes.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like satin and silk

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a pail of milk

Wiggle wiggle wiggle all rattle and shake

Wiggle like a big fat snake !