aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

fugazi's influence is certainly not negligible and they have sold millions of records.

Where are you getting your sales figures? Perhaps their complete back catalogue has sold into the low millions in combination but I very much doubt that any of their individual records has done within pissing distance of that, unlike many of the bands mentioned on this thread who have single albums selling millions of copies. But of course there are numerous horrific artists who sell millions so that's not a very good point of reference....

This argument is a waste of time, as stated earlier you have to have some consistent basis for the claim or it's down to personal taste.

I like Fugazi by the way. But influence isn't the only marker here, there are countless bands I like that could have some sort of influence factor cited.

Guest Gladstone
Bigsby still has the mental scars from that last Underkills gig.

His therapist has suggsted knitting as a way forward.

I don't believe this for a second.

It's a well known fact, that nobody every attends Underkills gigs.

I'm failing to accept popularity as the downfall of Fugazi's criteria. I think considering how they popularized themselves within the DIY circles purely via word of mouth, their popularity is on a much smaller scale than The Beatles, but it is still quite incredible the amount of people they reached by their meagre means of networking.

Fine, fail to accept it then, as we've already established, there's no right or wrong here, so lets just say in your cooler-than-thou, indie-hipster world, Fugazi are the best band ever.

The rest of us can have a sensible discussion about bands that people have actually heard of.

Fine, fail to accept it then, as we've already established, there's no right or wrong here, so lets just say in your cooler-than-thou, indie-hipster world, Fugazi are the best band ever..

Trouble is in that world there's probably quite valid arguments for several bands; Sonic Youth, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Butthole Surfers, etc.... A lot of the claims made for Fugazi are probably in fairness attributable more to Ian MacKaye whose principles have carried forward as co-owner of Discord records and member of various bands, Fugazi are just the longest lasting, highest profile and most prolific band that he has been involved in....

Fine, fail to accept it then, as we've already established, there's no right or wrong here, so lets just say in your cooler-than-thou, indie-hipster world, Fugazi are the best band ever.

The rest of us can have a sensible discussion about bands that people have actually heard of.

see, how can you have a go at the early posters in this thread when you spoil it with crap like that?

fugazi were being sensibly discussed. just because you don't know much about them doesn't mean they're not acceptable, they're certainly not just an indie-hipster band.

i can see the masses won't agree though, so perhaps we should move on to other bands. surely sonic youth are worth discussing.

Trouble is in that world there's probably quite valid arguments for several bands; Sonic Youth, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Butthole Surfers, etc.... A lot of the claims made for Fugazi are probably in fairness attributable more to Ian MacKaye whose principles have carried forward as co-owner of Discord records and member of various bands, Fugazi are just the longest lasting, highest profile and most prolific band that he has been involved in....

a good point but i think fugazi stand up on their own and on the merits of all four members not just ian mackaye. one of the best rhythm sections in punk for one thing. you are right though that dischord and that whole scene are all tied up in the wonderous entity that is fugazi, thus they win.

Hm. I was abiding to the 'sensible discussion' by stating that I don't think Fugazi can be completely dismissed because of sales because they dominate in other departments over a hell of alot of bands. Would it be sensible discussion if I just agreed that The Beatles are the best? I thought that isn't what you wanted, and where is the discussion in that? I have no idea where the "cooler than thou" "hipster" stuff has come from, mind. Dave suggested Fugazi. I agreed with him and stated why. No one has argued any of the points I made about why I think they should be considered, but just bleated that they haven't sold enough.

Seriously. If the record buying public are going to be the factor that decides the best band on earth, considering they are responsible for Celine Dion having more number ones than I've had wanks, then it's not going to depict the best band ever. It's going to depict the most popular band ever, and they are very different things. I think that is a sensible viewpoint to bring to the discussion, but I suppose because it isn't in favour of the Beatles, then I am being a smarmy "hipster". Whatever that even means...

As you say, there is no right or wrong, which is contradicted by the whole "no one has heard of them" guff, which is a bit of an extremity. In fact, the amount of sales they have made on a purely DIY basis is actually quite remarkable.

Obviously very few agree, but as you said about no one having a reasonable argument about why the Beatles aren't the best band, I can, and will, suggest the same for Fugazi.

see, how can you have a go at the early posters in this thread when you spoil it with crap like that?

fugazi were being sensibly discussed. just because you don't know much about them doesn't mean they're not acceptable, they're certainly not just an indie-hipster band.

i can see the masses won't agree though, so perhaps we should move on to other bands. surely sonic youth are worth discussing.

They weren't really being sensibly discussed any longer though, Original Spies was just coming in with posts like "It's still Fugazi" every so often, it was just getting fucking boring TBH.

Every so often? Once. That happened once.

The rest of the time, everything I said was within the context of the thread, and was sensibly discussed when points were brought up about what I had said, or sales diminishing Fugazi from being included in this discussion.

I think you're getting a little het up over absolutely nothing.

They weren't really being sensibly discussed any longer though, Original Spies was just coming in with posts like "It's still Fugazi" every so often, it was just getting fucking boring TBH.

ooh, i tried to give you negative rep for this but even as i was clicking it i started feeling guilty thinking "i can't be giving bigsby negative rep, the worlds gone upside down" but i must spread some reputation around apparently before dishing it out, negative or otherwise, to you again.

for shame. it's not boring, you're only saying that cause you can't be arsed coming up with an argument other than no one's heard of them. which is genuinely boring(and obviously not true). you wanted some debate and we're trying to generate it.

if the basis of best band is decided mainly on record sales then there's very little point in having a discussion. you'd be as well just post up a chart and close the thread.

OK, allow me to clarify. When I started this thread, I genuinely hoped that people would disagree with me about The Beatles, and that people would put forward their own arguments as to why other bands deserve that title. And that argument was put forward forcefully, and effectively for Fugazi. I didnt agree, but thats by the by.

But posts like

It's still Fugazi.

and

I'm still agreeing with daveofficer on Fugazi. No one seems to have picked apart what I said on that one yet.

were as pointless as

They're not, because they were shit.

hence my post above.