aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

I admire, respect and enjoy the Beatles body of work. They have influenced my own songwriting. They are by no stretch of the imagination my favourite band but I honestly can't think of any arguement strong enough to convince me that they weren't the best band to ever grace this planet.

You are such a tool i can't spell to save my life but please... poor effort.

As for your opinion, well genres can be quite subjective, but Pearl Jam weren't grunge they just looked grunge. Pearl Jam don't really belong to any sub genre of rock in my opinion they're just a bluesy, sometimes funky rock band.

the only thing similar about any of the 'grunge' bands was how they looked, and they played rock music. pearl jam were a grunge band. this is not open to discussion. some of them were in green river with half of mudhoney and played with future members of soundgarden too.

not the best band in the world but definitely a grunge band.

The Beatles are by no means my favourite band, but I have perhaps the most convincing argument as to why they were the most influential.

The Beatles changed the face of recording by using the studio itself as an instument. Instead of trying to faithfully reproduce their live sound, they more than any other band managed to use the studio to create new soundscapes. They were the pioneers that laid the path all the way to Aphex Twin.

A few small notes aswell; The Beatles were the first band to include a lyric sleeve booklet in their albums, the first band to create music videos and the first band to use reverse guitar.

The Beatles changed the face of recording by using the studio itself as an instument. Instead of trying to faithfully reproduce their live sound, they more than any other band managed to use the studio to create new soundscapes. They were the pioneers that laid the path all the way to Aphex Twin.

George Martin. Not the Beatles.

Both actually. It's well documented that McCartney especially was responsible for sonic experiments such as Tomorrow Never Knows.

Not that many though, their studio trickery was mostly due to Martin. I'm not saying that there was no involvement from McCartney, Lennon et al. but they weren't largely responsible so to attribute advances in recording techniques to them is a little untrue. I would say on the whole that George Martin and Geoff Emerick were, for the most part, responsible for the studio trickery and recording techniques.

Not that many though, their studio trickery was mostly due to Martin. I'm not saying that there was no involvement from McCartney, Lennon et al. but they weren't largely responsible so to attribute advances in recording techniques to them is a little untrue. I would say on the whole that George Martin and Geoff Emerick were, for the most part, responsible for the studio trickery and recording techniques.

You miss my point though: The Beatles pioneered the conversion of the studio into an instrument. When Lennon decided to create (from the outset) a psychedelic song such as Tomorrow Never Knows, there was no precedent to the sound he wanted. George Martin was simply trying to do Lennons idea some sort of justice.

George Martin was good at recreating a live sound, but not until The Beatles asked him to had he ever thought of fucking around with the studio to make new sounds, namely because it was The Beatles that instigated it.

Read any account of The Beatles in the studio around '66 & '67 for a better insight into this.

The Prosecution calls their first witnesses; The Stooges

YouTube - Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Live in Cincinnati, 1970

We also note that, had the band been playing in a school gym, Mr. Pop would not only have climbed on the basketball hoop, but may also have attempted sexual congress with it.

The point is, there's a direct line that can be drawn through generations of hard rock/punk acts to the genesis of Fugazi, and their innovations, popular appeal and influence on subsequent generations is negligible compared to their forebears. Therefore, while there is no case to answer as to their being the favourite band of the defence and many others, a claim on their part to be the best band ever is unjustifiable given the weight of evidence and circumstance.

while that is a good point, you can't seriously proclaim the beatles as the greatest band ever and then say another band isn't because they were directly influenced by a previous band. the beatles started out doing covers of rock n roll songs and were directly influenced by earlier and contemporary bands. granted they became more popular and definitely innovated in the studio.

fugazi's influence is certainly not negligible and they have sold millions of records. they're influenced not just by their punk rock peers but by other bands and styles, reggae/dub in particular. fugazi are one of the most innovative bands to have ever emerged from the hardcore punk scene and are easily one of the most influential.

based on the criteria laid out earlier in this thread they have a very legitimate claim to the best band crown. the only thing the beatles have them beat on is record sales but fugazi are no slouchs with that either.