aberdeen-music

expensive vs cheap

fatboy

Surely you would notice the mistakes whilst playing just by looking at your fingerwork/strumming and wouldn't need an amp to tell you you're playing wrong?

And if you dismissing mistakes which you hear through your amp, then surely it can just as easily be correct by sharpening up and not being so lazy?

I bet alot of people rely on this to make them sound good, I for one as an example many years ago, it had to be 11 gain scooped mid before i thought could have fun playing, now i look back and thing wtf was i doing

I'd still maintain that after 500 what your getting in return for every quid you spend decreases.

When you start paying big bucks, you end up paying the costs of excellent wood quality which in turn gives you better resonance and a much finer feel to the guitar, and top grade hardware such as EMG pick-ups, better built-in EQ and whatnot.

So, you are paying for best of the best, unfortunatly, only a small fraction of people who are lucky enough to own a range of fine guitars know exactly what the fine difference in quality is.

I play musicman basses, and despite paying a lot for my stingray, I'm confident no cheap copy can ever match it's trademark sound that I bought it for.

I bet alot of people rely on this to make them sound good, I for one as an example many years ago, it had to be 11 gain scooped mid before i thought could have fun playing, now i look back and thing wtf was i doing

That never came about from playing acoustic though, more just your ear and musical knowledge maturing?

There are a lot of people who play with that exact scooped sound. And it's down to not practising enough in general, and presuming they sound good and not asking for feedback or any insight onto how to improve overall. In my opinion.

That never came about from playing acoustic though, more just your ear and musical knowledge maturing?

There are a lot of people who play with that exact scooped sound. And it's down to not practising enough in general, and presuming they sound good and not asking for feedback or any insight onto how to improve overall. In my opinion.

yup you learn through trial and error but no-one can have the perfect tone, except james, he'll argue that he has the best tone out of all of us. :)

I forked out (no actually, went halfs with Mummy and Daddy) over a Fender Jazzmaster, which cost me about 599, and it didn't work right for ages. Then I got a 40 bridge off a Mustang, and now it plays like a dream.

So, small inexpensive bits make the guitars.

I agree that practising clean (it's possible to use the clean channel rather than unplugging the amp...) will help your technique and would have thought this was a well accepted approach. Guitarists are infamous for using loads of gain (with delay. chorus etc on top) to cover sloppy technique: it muddies the sound so fluffs aren't heard so well, "blurs" the notes so it sounds like one is playing faster, gives more volume and loads of compression so legato is so much easier.

My first guitar was an Encore Acoustic from Argos for 59. The strings were almost an inch away from the fretboard and I just couldnt understand how the fuck anyone could ever play an F!

After about 5 months of playing that thing I went round to my mates who had a 500 yamaha, I could instantly play an F! Wow amazing!!!

It certainly made it easier on a nice guitar and it sounded a hell of a lot better too! But the finger strength id acquired from sticking at it with the Encore wont be missed!

I'd agree with this up to a certain point. Maybe 500 or even 1000, but I think the difference between a 4000 and 2000 guitar will probably only feel different to people who have more money than sense.

I'd still maintain that after 500 what your getting in return for every quid you spend decreases.

Agreed. I don't think it would be wise for anyone to spend over 500-750 on a bass/guitar unless they were making a career out of performing (even then it's not necessary), or actually wanted to splash out.

Also playing a good instrument won't automatically make you better, but playing a very cheap one with a bad setup will only cause problems for you and slow your progress ;)

Having said that, I bought a cheap Yamaha bass to use as a backup a few months ago, tweaked the setup, and it actually sounds good and plays very well.

A good guitar is a good guitar, but preference is pretty important too.

After years of buying and selling various different guitars, I now have a Gibson LP Studio, a Gibson SG Special and a Mexican 72 reissue deluxe telecaster. The tele was by far the cheapest of the three and yet it is my main gigging guitar. It may not have quite the balls of the other two, but it is light, playable and reliable and so it is my (current) favourite.

Oops, I've also got an Epi LP Custom which, to be fair, is pretty ace too. Cost me 200 ish off eBay. So yeah, reasonably cheap stuff is cool. However, if my real LP ever dies, I'll cry like a baby.

The amount of >1K guitars owned by people who don't really play guitar and sit around gathering dust would make you weep.

I've a relative beginner and I rock with a strat style electric made by Wesley (It's even got a whammy bar!) and my girlfriend's nylon string acoustic that her ma bought fae Lidl of all places. I love them both.

but could you make a 50 guitar sound as good as a 500 guitar?

I don't think that is completely relevant to the initial question in the thread. I know where you're going with it though but it's a big tangent :)

Obviously a better instrument will enhance your sound but, as said before, it's the player that determines that. Input will determine output. Adding better tools inbetween will yield better results ofcourse though :)

It's not the quality of guitar that will have the impact on my playing on it - it is the setup.

A 200 guitar well setup I will play better on than a dog of a 2000 guitar.

Granted, the 2000 guitar will have a better sound (or should at least ;)) but if I don't feel as comfortable using it, it's rather wasted.

Combining both the quality of the instrument and the setup is going to give best results though. That's why it's important to concentrate on both equally :)

Being a auld basta, I can remember when cheap guitars were almost usless. They were ok for batting a pair of rolled up socks around your bedroom, but that's about it. Cheap guitars nowadays can be pretty damn good - especially if you get them 2nd hand - very playable. I've played/owned guitars from both ends of the scale and have to say nothing beats opening the case of a nice Les Paul, or PRS etc. Saying that my fav guitar at the moment is a 250 quid one, still not mega cheap I know, but not too dear either.

Cheers

BK

A good guitar is a good guitar, but preference is pretty important too.

After years of buying and selling various different guitars, I now have a Gibson LP Studio, a Gibson SG Special and a Mexican 72 reissue deluxe telecaster. The tele was by far the cheapest of the three and yet it is my main gigging guitar. It may not have quite the balls of the other two, but it is light, playable and reliable and so it is my (current) favourite.

Oops, I've also got an Epi LP Custom which, to be fair, is pretty ace too. Cost me 200 ish off eBay. So yeah, reasonably cheap stuff is cool. However, if my real LP ever dies, I'll cry like a baby.

I reckon it's probably a perfect guitar in terms of cost vs. benefits. They sound amazing, are ridiculously versatile and play like a total dream but they cost 500 quid (2 squiers that last you 3 years each) Definitely the best mexican Fender have out.