aberdeen-music

Cheap Food

MrMotivator

Does anyone know of any good shops that sell cheap food in Aberdeen?

The only one I can think of is Stillies, which is near Mount Street, which is notorious for selling stuff past its sell by date.

I also know about cheap supermarkets such as Lidls and Aldi, but does anyone know of any other shops in Aberdeen that sells cheap food?

Farmfoods, Iceland?

When I was signing on I used to feed myself for a week for about a fiver in farmfoods. Bag of oven chips, couple of packs of birds eye frozen chicken breasts and crispy pancakes and that was me sorted.

Left plenty of cash for cheap wine and cigarettes.

Asda's got a lot of good offers on frozen food, well the Huntly one does at least not sure about the one's in town.

Yeah, every once in a while I take a look round Aldi or Lidl or some of these places, but I honestly don't think they're any cheaper than Asda, just tinkier.

If you have a freezer you can usually fill it up with good "Whoops!" deals out of Asda.

yea good old Frunkie Still's, used to go there every day before school for my playpiece. you'd get a so much stuff for cheap, could get at least a bottle of juice, 2 sweets and a packet o crisps for 50p. I also got a crate of 24 stubbys of continental beer for a 1. Which was not a play piece i may add, this was some time after i left school :p

i hope it never closes :)

Cheers for the heads up on the gooseberries ;)

If you had a car it would be easier to buy in bulk, like porridge

theres a place in Mastrick started up by the guy who opened stillies beside nisa

My usual trick is to take advantage of the big supermarket offers on tinned food. Morrisons periodically drop the price of brand name baked beans in 4 packs to around 1 or tuna to half its usual price. I like to keep a good cache of nearly indestructible food in these uncertain times anyway. So, I just store the new and eat the old.

My usual trick is to take advantage of the big supermarket offers on tinned food. Morrisons periodically drop the price of brand name baked beans in 4 packs to around 1 or tuna to half its usual price. I like to keep a good cache of nearly indestructible food in these uncertain times anyway. So, I just store the new and eat the old.

That's what i do. Beans, soup and tuna and other tinned fish are always things i have in supply just in case.

That's what i do. Beans, soup and tuna and other tinned fish are always things i have in supply just in case.

Good to see someone else thinking like our grandparent's generation :up: A lot of my friends poke fun at me... but tinned food is amazing. Some of the use-by-dates on the meats I have are out in 2011, 2013. Probably it's still edible after that as well.

Dried pasta is a good tip as well, if you see an offer. It's good for ages.

Yeah, every once in a while I take a look round Aldi or Lidl or some of these places, but I honestly don't think they're any cheaper than Asda, just tinkier.

If you have a freezer you can usually fill it up with good "Whoops!" deals out of Asda.

Lidls is by far better than Asda, fruit & veg are ten times fresher and cheaper, their other brands e.g. ham, chorizo etc are tastier too...it's just forgein brands

I defo wouldn't say tinkier...unless you mean by that 'cheaper'

Lidls is by far better than Asda, fruit & veg are ten times fresher and cheaper, their other brands e.g. ham, chorizo etc are tastier too...it's just forgein brands

Dunno about Lidl, but Aldi is a total hole. I'd say it ranks alongside Iceland in the quality stakes.

I believe Lidl is slightly better though but I've never been in it.

No, I mean tinkier, just really scabby and crap looking. I think I've only ever been in two branches, Torry and Granton in Edinburgh so maybe these were not represenative.

The two Aldis I've been in (the beach and Westhill) have been nice and clean looking by comparsion, but again, I haven't really noticed the prices being better than Asda. I haven't done any scientific study though, just the impression I got from browsing around.

Dunno about Lidl, but Aldi is a total hole. I'd say it ranks alongside Iceland in the quality stakes.

I believe Lidl is slightly better though but I've never been in it.

It's mainly german I believe, but I've tried popular UK brands from there and the other foreign brands and I would say the later are by far tastier (never tried Aldi's...remind me of Spar). The veg is normally stocked on a thursday and is always good quality, they have an organic selection too.

Most Lidl stuff is dog. Just really bad quality and awful. There's alot of good in there for the price, but it really is mostly shite. There's alot of things I've had from there that have either been too disgusting to finish (and I really will eat most things) or have made me feel a little ill.

They have some decent 'farmhouse' bread for about 50p, which is dead good, and jars of MASSIVE hot dogs, which I've just not seen in any other supermarket before. Wouldn't really touch too much else myself. I certainly don't agree their veg is fresher. I've bought tomatos from there a few times and they've always been going a little soft and taste horrible.

A pure nasty place.

I've started going to Asda instead of Morrisons even though it's a hike for me as they are a wee bit cheaper. Also, Morrisons' frozen section pisses me off as it's more like their refrozen section by the time us punters get to it, ie. the raspberries are covered in ice crystals and the peas are a solid block.