aberdeen-music

portable recorders

fatboy

I just take a laptop to practice and setup a couple of mics going into the USB interface I use for home recording, but you could also use the PA mixer at most practice rooms and take a line out to the computer. Use Audacity to record the tracks.

Better than buying seperate gear to do it.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/musicians-corner/55905-recording-devices-practice.html

I asked this question not long ago and came to the conclusion that the H2 would be perfect. It's less expensive than H4 and H4n (which does look cracking) and the quality of the sound you can get is very reasonable. It's not like you're using it for anything other than seeing where you can get better or making sure you pick up ideas in a jam. I've not bought mine yet due to not having the cash but I will as soon as I can afford it.

I miss the days of using a tape recorder with a built in microphone.

i've still got one!!!!

i used a zoom to do a radio interview last year not sure which model mind and it was a wicked peice of kit, really easy to use and the sound quality was great.

I miss the days of using a tape recorder with a built in microphone.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

sorry whats that you said, I can't make out anything

Nah, I know what you mean, I used to record 2 tracks onto an old amstrad thing that had stereo mic inputs that were two mono inputs, not one stereo, and a similar mic. It sounded shit, but it was ace fun, and my first experience of tracking.

I've got an H4 too, works really well for doing instrumental stuff, takes a little mixing to bring out any vocals though.

Apparently there is a slight hum added to recordings when using it on battery power, never needed to do so myself so don't know if it's true, I've just read it in online reviews. Smart wee thing though, comes with Cubase LE too.

One of my bandmates managed to pick one up at Thainstone mart for 5, the scamming bastard! Some housewifey was selling a bunch of her son's crap and she didn't know what it was, lol.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That pretty much summed up our recordings, along with playing drums and guitar in a small room with stone walls, or in a bedroom with 2 acoustics and a collection of fucked up lyrics, accompanied with a bottle of Omega.

It had a nice appeal to it, in a shit kind of way.