aberdeen-music

iPhone Advice

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Right, it's time to seriously consider getting one of these bad boys but I want to find a good deal. I've done my own shopping around but I'm a bit of a novice. Do you have any advice and tips about the actual phone itself and where you bought yours and how much it was?

I'm looking for a pay-as-you-go deal but I think it's only sensible to consider contracts too. I know I could easily just go to the high street mobile phone vendors, but they'll just try to push a sale on me rather than provide genuine and sincere advice.

I've heard of people experiencing problems with them - is this common or has it been weeded out?

Let's have your impartial opinions and advice, please.

Guest idol_wild
A strange air of superiority and the ability to bore the fuck out of everyone as you waffle on about your favourite apps.

Sounds like just the ticket for me, then.

A strange air of superiority and the ability to bore the fuck out of everyone as you waffle on about your favourite apps.

Haha!

Sounds like just the ticket for me, then.

I dont think much is included in it. Unlimited data, pretty low amount of texts, fairly average mins.

I want an iphone but the contracts were terrible (may still be?) when i renewed my contract.

What network are you on just now?

Im on the 35 a month deal, you get 500 texts, 600 minutes and free internet. I just have the original 3G one, which does everything I want it to, you can get the 3G S now off of O2.

The original 3G one is free for an 8Gb one on a 24 month contract. They're great pieces of kit and I've had no problems.

Oh yeah and considering your 350 for the 8Gb handset on pay as you go you may as well get the contract as your going to have to buy your credit on top of that.

Guest idol_wild
What network are you on just now?

Me? I have an O2 pay-as-you-go sim. I would quite like to transfer it straight over to the iPhone but it's highly unlikely that I'll have the ability to do that, right?

Me? I have an O2 pay-as-you-go sim. I would quite like to transfer it straight over to the iPhone but it's highly unlikely that I'll have the ability to do that, right?

As far as i know, You can do this. Scottst on here does this i think.

Just means you'd need to pay for the handset which is stupidly expensive.

Guest idol_wild
Oh yeah and considering your 350 for the 8Gb handset on pay as you go you may as well get the contract as your going to have to buy your credit on top of that.

Good advice, that. Definitely worth bearing in mind. :up:

Guest idol_wild
I've heard o2 can be ridiculously expensive if you go over your minutes or texts, like any company is, but o2 is the worst for it, just what a mate said so i can't say for definite, but just a word of warning if you are going on contract.

Cheers min. I'm not a big texter or caller these days, though. I'll mainly find an iPhone useful for keeping on top of emails and such like when I am away on tour. I bought an iPod Touch for this purpose at the tail end of last year, but it is goosed as of today. Plus, I need to be within range of free wi-fi with a Touch, but iPhones have permanent internet access.

Only problem is, as I'll be using it as my portable MP3 player, the memory isn't big enough. But hey, I can work around that.

only thing i would say is definitely do not go to o2 @ the carphone warehouse as they will destroy you if you use more than your allowance, plus they are a seperate entity to o2 apparently (they only rent the network, they set their own tarriffs etc), and they don't do bolt ons.

i didnt know this when i took their contract a few years back, and i only had 500 texts included so i phoned to ask for the unlimited text bolt on at 7.50. they said they didn't do that, and the best they could do was 1000 extra texts for 30. i was sending on average 3000 texts a month, plus going over my minutes, i sometimes saw bills upwards of 300. i'm now on o2 direct and get everything i need for 35 a month.

might be different now like, but just a word of warning!

1 x iPhone 3GS handset (on PAYG) - 440.50

1 x SIMplicity SIM card - 20 / month, 600 mins, unlimited texts + free bolt on (you'd be a fool not to pick the internet)

If you have the capital to buy outright it a) keeps monthly costs down and b) beats even the 45 / month contract on mins/texts.

EDIT = The SIMplicity 'contract' is 30-days notice to cancel, too. So you're not tied to any length of time if a better deal comes up.

Bear in mind that the HTC android phones have all the capacity of the Iphones but the OS isn't locked so you can customise it, takes micro sd cards up to the largest size available, currently on T-mobile and Vodafone with a third coming out soon, plus the Palm Pre is due exclusively on O2 round about October so may impact on the price/O2 exclusivity of the Iphone.

• 8 months later...

I've not tried out the android yet so can't add much to the vs debate but I do have an iphone after being very sceptical about it. I have to say it has far exceeded my expectations so far. As a phone it is really good, the contacts, missed calls, texts, etc are all really instinctive and not fiddly. I've got a bunch of apps that I don't really use but have found a select few that I now couldn't live without.

The only thing is the fragility of the thing. I live in constant fear of dropping it and know if I do it'll crack into pieces. That and the rubbish battery life but I've learned to deal with that and it's not an issue if you plug it in every night.