aberdeen-music

ipod crash

What was happening when it crashed? Did you disconnect it when it said do not disconnect?

Tried holding down the play button to switch it off? Maybe leave it overnight and let the battery run down then charge it up in the morning (kind of like a hard reset).

stop with the "put it in the freezer nonsense"! That must be an urban myth - I've seen that advice given for everything from broken hard drives to car radios with no code.

sorry, enough ranting. I'm kind of fraught with out my ipod. Thanks for all your advice.

I was updating stuff and plugged it was in to my pc when itunes crashed. Itunes appeared to be still running but when I checked the task manager, itunes wasn't one of the apps running.

I tried to restart my pc, but that crashed too. So I had to hold the start button down until it turned off. My ipod has the "do not disconnect" bit displayed, but holding down the middle and menu button together hasn't worked.

I've heard rumours of an application you can download to reset your ipod so I'm looking for that on the apple website.

other than that, I'll just put in a corner and tell it not to bother me until its sorry and is ready to work again...

pete

inthehills

my ipod miraculously recovered after almost a year out of action, before i bit the bullet i looked about for a solution on the net, but my problem was the unhappy face icon, could hear the thing trying to boot & continuously fail, anyway long story short, i kept reading about & even saw on youtube some giving it a few whacks on the side & hey presto it's back. honestly. search on net and you'll see the same bizarre solution being advised but like i said it was a different problem i had but hey if you get to the try anything stage (well apart from the freezer thing?!),,,,

hurrah! its working again.

I tried the reboot thing this morning. On the apple website, it says that I shouldn't touch the outer ring when pressing the middle button and only press the very edge of the top bit of the ring when pressing the menu button. So I got two pencils and used them to press the buttons and it worked.

I'm happy again.

thanks for all your advice.

Pete

inthehills

my ipod miraculously recovered after almost a year out of action, before i bit the bullet i looked about for a solution on the net, but my problem was the unhappy face icon, could hear the thing trying to boot & continuously fail, anyway long story short, i kept reading about & even saw on youtube some giving it a few whacks on the side & hey presto it's back. honestly. search on net and you'll see the same bizarre solution being advised but like i said it was a different problem i had but hey if you get to the try anything stage (well apart from the freezer thing?!),,,,

That works! When my old one used to freeze up I would put it out in my car all night in the winter and it would get so cold it would think the battery was flat and it would completely shut itself down. Then when I went out in the morning and heated it up again it would work fine. Straight up, no word of a lie.

That works! When my old one used to freeze up I would put it out in my car all night in the winter and it would get so cold it would think the battery was flat and it would completely shut itself down. Then when I went out in the morning and heated it up again it would work fine. Straight up, no word of a lie.
Is that whart you were trying to do with your washing machine when it got nicked?

• 5 weeks later...

My one came back to life by giving it the 2 whacks treatment mentioned earlier, then holding down the 2 buttons. Then it died again a few weeks later, and doesn't respond to a beating.

However I dug out an old, dead 20 gig one, gave it the rough treatment, and it seems to have been reborn. Fingers crossed.

Throw it in the bin and buy a Sony Walkman MP3 player.

truth!

I have an ipod nano which kept resetting and freezing so I plugged it into the computer in disk mode and deleted all settings, folders and files via windows explorer then recreated the folder tree

When the ipod switched back on it put everything to the default settings and hasn't frozen or reset in over a month, used to do it several times daily

Do you have enough music to fill a 120gb mp3? Plus, i'd rather have smaller library of the select songs i know i want to listen to than everything i ever heard ever.

Sony Walkman has twice as good sound quality as Ipod.

I've had my 120gb ipod for about 6 weeks and its 60% full. There would be more music on it, but I've been a bit too lazy with transferring my record collection to my PC.

I would admit that the sound quality of my ipod is not as good as my old Creative Zen, but it is made up with the shear ease of use, small size and excellent battery life.

o_O Holy fucking shit, i can never imagine filling an 80gb and you've nearly done it!?

I don't believe you, Prt Sc of your itunes so i can see the size of your library or your lying:P

I don't use itunes for a start, I use Winamp. :p

And only about 40-50 of those are Smashing Pumpkins or Smashing Pumpkins related...