aberdeen-music

I - wanna rock and roll all night!

Lemonade

So KISS fans.....

I've been getting into a bit of Kiss recently and fancy picking up some of their albums. Thing is they have about a billion albums + compliations + live albums and I don't know which ones are good. I'm definitely thinking more 70s "Love Gun" Kiss rather than 80s "Crazy Crazy Nights" Kiss. Which albums should I buy? Is everything post Ace Frehley and Peter Criss quitting in 1982 really shit? What about the live reunion albums?

Also, wtf are the Ace Frehley / Gene Simmons / Paul Stanley / Peter Criss albums from 1978 that are on Spotify? Are they solo albums or something? If so, are they any good?

There's just so much I can't possibly listen to it all to make a decision, so if anyone would care to give me a bit of advice I'd appreciate it, ta.

"God Gave Rock & Roll To You" holds a special place in my heart. It is the first song that I can ever remember hearing and just going absolutely crazy for. It came out when I was 11 and I absolutely fucking loved it, I had a tape of it off Radio 1 and I just played it over and over and over again, used to run around my bedroom playing air guitar to it! I think it was my musical awakening.

The bit when they play it at the end of Bill & Ted is just fucking epic.

I've been on a bit of a kiss resurgance myself recently. Mid 70's Kiss is definitely the way to go for grea tunes!. Destroyer + Love Gun are great ablums. Also for a bit of a chuckle check out The Shreds videos of Kiss on youtube.

Beth is a fucking atrocious song i mught add. Why the ballads!!!????!!!!

So KISS fans.....

I've been getting into a bit of Kiss recently and fancy picking up some of their albums. Thing is they have about a billion albums + compliations + live albums and I don't know which ones are good. I'm definitely thinking more 70s "Love Gun" Kiss rather than 80s "Crazy Crazy Nights" Kiss. Which albums should I buy? Is everything post Ace Frehley and Peter Criss quitting in 1982 really shit? What about the live reunion albums?

Also, wtf are the Ace Frehley / Gene Simmons / Paul Stanley / Peter Criss albums from 1978 that are on Spotify? Are they solo albums or something? If so, are they any good?

There's just so much I can't possibly listen to it all to make a decision, so if anyone would care to give me a bit of advice I'd appreciate it, ta.

i went through a kiss phase in the early 80's... i've got a bunch of so called "limited edition" coloured vinyl imports from the far east - japan in particular was lapping this stuff up at this time...

i digress... "kiss alive" is pretty good for a live album as i recall,"dynasty" is more pop rock, with a fair amount of stuff being written by non kiss members... both albums have the pete criss, gene simmons, paul stanley, ace frehley line up... both albums have their moments. there's a pile of it on napster if that helps...

tbh it hasn't aged particularly well, but like i say they have their moments...

To be honest, "Gold" has just about every Kiss song you'll ever need on it.

As a rule of the thumb, I tend to stay away from any Kiss song that has a lady's name in it... because there's a good chance it'll be total fucking guff. Have you heard "Hard Luck Woman"?! Jesus Christ!

That 'Role Models' film gave me an urge to buy some KISS, so I bought Kiss Gold for about 3 quid on Amazon, 2 CD set, first CD was OK, never got through the other one yet.

The individually named ones were solo albums released simultaneously I believe and were supposed to illustrate the diversity of the different band members.

...And Part of Every Day.

'Double Platinum' is just about all you need, top up with individual tracks. 70s Kiss is mainly ace, even disco Kiss. Strutter is just awesome. As for the 80s. Lick It Up(1983)is well funny, even Animalize(1984)has a couple of decent tunes*, then a wasteland almost as big and empty as Gene Simmons money grubbing soul.

Common agreement is that Ace's solo album is the best, 'New York Groove' is PopRock-tastic, Peter Criss' one is a bit disco, the others are meant to be well dull, they used their best shit for Kiss. Frehley's Comet are mainly bad to middling.

*Under the Gun

To be honest, "Gold" has just about every Kiss song you'll ever need on it.

As a rule of the thumb, I tend to stay away from any Kiss song that has a lady's name in it... because there's a good chance it'll be total fucking guff. Have you heard "Hard Luck Woman"?! Jesus Christ!

What, even Christine Sixteen? :laughing: that's an ace song.

Cheers for the advice folks. I've got a weird issue with buying greatest hits albums, so I've listened to Gold on Spotify and picked my favourite songs and I'm going to buy the albums featuring those songs. Which is mainly Dressed To Kill, Destroyer and Love Gun :rockon: I'll start with those three and take it from there.