aberdeen-music

Random Musical Facts

Stephen

My old English teacher was in Arab Strap during their early beginnings. He's also had books published, the only one that springs to mind at the moment is "Boy Racers". His name is Alan Bisset

Smilie from brilliant Glasgow act Julia Thirteen turned down the chance to play bass for Speedway (and a massive cheque). Clever Clever Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old English teacher was in Arab Strap during their early beginnings. He's also had books published' date=' the only one that springs to mind at the moment is "Boy Racers". His name is Alan Bisset

Smilie from brilliant Glasgow act Julia Thirteen turned down the chance to play bass for Speedway (and a massive cheque). Clever Clever Boy[/quote']

i met alan bisset, i also read that book, quite enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt Freeman of Rancid/Operation Ivy fame, used to be called Matt McCall when he was in Operation Ivy, because he looked like a guy called McCall from some T.V show.

Matt at one point played in the punk band MDC.

Another person who once played in MDC was Pat Smear of Nirvana(session guitarist) fame, he was in a little band called The Germs,

Pat went on to be in a band called The Foo Fighters with Dave Grohl, whos band before Nirvana was called Scream(discord records) they didnt include the title track to their first album , and released it later as a rareity.

Nofx liked this idea and did the same with their album Pump Up The Valium,

Fat Mike and Eric Melvin are both Jewish, Eric Sandin is white trash, El Hefe (real name Aaron) is half mexican, so he is a bean. hence the album title "White Trash Two Heebs And A Bean", which was originally going to be called "White Trash Two Kikes and a Spic" until Melvin's grandmother cried about the derrogatory comment.

White Trash Two Heebs And A Bean was released on Fat Wreck Chords which is owned by Fat Mike.

Fat Wreck Chords puts out a series of samplers called "fat music for fat people" and on fat music for fat people volume 2 :survival of the fattest, the japanese band HI Standard do a cover of " California Dreaming"

the Beach Boys covered that song at some point as well.

the vocals on the Beach Boys song "good vibrations" apperntly took 64 hours to record.

Mr.Wilson. (the wilson brothers from the beach boys' father) is a prick

Mr.Wilson. (the wilson brothers from the beach boys' father) is a prick

Mr Wilson would often lose his temper with his young neighbour, Dennis and his sissy 80's lefty parents. Oddly, the ghost train/mine that was at the end of the street in the show's title sequence was never seen again, probably because rolling around underground tunnels in a minecart is the type of thing you'd only do once.

dave mustaine quit metallica because james hetfield kicked his dog.....

ozzy osbournes name was spelt "ossy" in the liner notes of black sabbaths self titled album......and on the later Master of Reality' date=' it was spelt Osborne....

[/quote']

Wrong. Dave kicked James' dog and got thrown out rather than quitting- also because he was a violent drunk etc.

On the subject of names, I noticed that in the liner notes for Cowboys From Hell, Dimebag is referred to as 'Diamond Darrell', oh and like no one knows this, but Pantera released 4 albums as a glam rock band before Phil Anselmo joined and they did CFH.

jimmy page wrote stairway to heaven's guitar parts when he was 12....the lyrics were apparently about a set of stairs outside one of his mansions......

Don't know about the guitar parts, but you are wrong about the lyrics. The song was written during sessions in Headley Grange, an old mansion in Hampshire. They were there during the winter, and it was so cold that they were forced to burn pieces of the staircases banisters to keep warm. Apparently Plant wrote the lyrics for it while sitting on a stool in front of the fire.

This is all according to the August 2003 edition of Total Guitar(issue 112).

Also, apparently some of the guitar parts are major rip offs of a song. I forget the name of it though. Never mind, I'll find out at some point.

It 's actually quite well known. I thought it was only 2 like. Ah well' date=' learn something new everyday. :up:[/quote']

Look in the liner notes for Reinventing Hell if you have it. They were all mega small time independent releases so I'd imagine it to be pretty impossible to find a copy. I'm sure someone will post a link to prove me wrong now............

* finds link to disprove point * :p

Is that their best of you speak er.... of? Don't have the album' date=' so I'll take your word for it :up:[/quote']

Indeed it is. There's also an American version that has a slightly different track listing and it has some big long name that has parts of all the previous album names in it. The great Southern Vulgar Steel Driven Cowboys, or something to that effect (that's definitely not what it's called). It also has a DVD with all the Pantera videos through each album on it, which is pretty cool.

Guest allsystemsfail
Matt Freeman of Rancid/Operation Ivy fame' date=' used to be called Matt McCall when he was in Operation Ivy, because he looked like a guy called McCall from some T.V show.

Matt at one point played in the punk band MDC.

Another person who once played in MDC was Pat Smear of Nirvana(session guitarist) fame, he was in a little band called The Germs,

Pat went on to be in a band called The Foo Fighters with Dave Grohl, whos band before Nirvana was called Scream(discord records) they didnt include the title track to their first album , and released it later as a rareity.

[/quote']

Hey MDC. Great great band. Can't recommend them enough. Check 'em out. PHD re-issued four of their classic albums (plus a "best of") a couple of years ago.

And The Germs? Legendary US punk band. A lotta folks may not know this, but pop songstress Belinda Carlisle played with these guys. On drums.

And Nirvana? The Exploited's Big John played with them too.

Guest allsystemsfail

How did Rage Against The Machine come by their name? Well, vocalist Zack had been in a hardcore outfit called Inside Out. HeartattaCk's Kent McClard (Kent was a prominent figure in the DIY punk community) suggested they call their first 7" Rage Against The Machine. So there you go.