aberdeen-music

Want to promote a gig / EP / new MP3? Stramash on Mearns FM, Stonehaven

ghost

Hi,

I waited a bit to post this as I wanted to make sure the podcasts were working (they are!) and get settled into doing the show.

I'm currently a volunteer presenter for Mearns FM doing an eclectic music / songwriting show from 9-10pm on Thursdays. The station itself has just started out and transmission area is really limited, however I'm now able to record the show as it goes out and upload it as a podcast later - increasing the exposure substantially.

I've got a blog site at listen.to free short URL redirect and web forwarding service where you can see the playlist and listen to podcasts of the most recent shows. From there you can get all the information you need to contact me at the radio station.

What I'm looking to do is pass on a bit more information about local bands and play their latest songs - I do trawl MySpace and other sites but as the downloader is currently out of action I am not willing to spend hours streaming and hoping the recordings don't stutter or skip.

If you are interested in being played on the show - take a look at the site first and gauge your chances - then please send me a PM.

There are also chances for interview and live sessions - I've done one of each so far and they worked out ok. Travelling to Stonehaven is not essential if you have broadband - I can do interviews over skype.

Cheers

Ian

I live in Stonehaven and want to get involved in radio work some time... what else does Mearns FM do? In terms of showcasing 'alternative' music in the area. Or just... what does it play? To who? I've seen a couple of posters for it but that's it.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm just curious about the target audience etc.

I live in Stonehaven and want to get involved in radio work some time... what else does Mearns FM do? In terms of showcasing 'alternative' music in the area. Or just... what does it play? To who? I've seen a couple of posters for it but that's it.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm just curious about the target audience etc.

Hi. Look at Mearns FM - Mearns FM - Community Radio Station - Stonehaven, Inverbervie, Laurencekirk, Johnshaven to find out more about the station. As to their target audience - I'm just a volunteer and am not on the committee, but they have a number of different shows - it's really up to the presenter. The only caviat seems to be "think local" and to keep in mind things that are happening in the Mearns area or provide a service. At the moment there are rock shows, vinyl shows, talk shows, storytelling, political chat, local interest, interviews but the schedule is mostly the automated system which plays songs at random (due to lack of volunteer presenters at the moment). They were speaking about rotating the schedule every few months to give new volunteers the chance to gain experience. I definitely am having a great time doing a 1 hr show every week but it takes about 5 hours every week to prepare it. Depends on the show though...

Bottom line is it's a community radio station organised by unpaid volunteers and funded by donation. It is not Radio 1 or even NS1. Presenters are usually inexperienced and do it to gain experience - otherwise they'd never get a show. As a comparison I've heard SHMU are more picky over their presenters now... this would be a good stepping stone if radio work was your goal...

Hi. Look at Mearns FM - Mearns FM - Community Radio Station - Stonehaven, Inverbervie, Laurencekirk, Johnshaven to find out more about the station. As to their target audience - I'm just a volunteer and am not on the committee, but they have a number of different shows - it's really up to the presenter. The only caviat seems to be "think local" and to keep in mind things that are happening in the Mearns area or provide a service. At the moment there are rock shows, vinyl shows, talk shows, storytelling, political chat, local interest, interviews but the schedule is mostly the automated system which plays songs at random (due to lack of volunteer presenters at the moment). They were speaking about rotating the schedule every few months to give new volunteers the chance to gain experience. I definitely am having a great time doing a 1 hr show every week but it takes about 5 hours every week to prepare it. Depends on the show though...

Bottom line is it's a community radio station organised by unpaid volunteers and funded by donation. It is not Radio 1 or even NS1. Presenters are usually inexperienced and do it to gain experience - otherwise they'd never get a show. As a comparison I've heard SHMU are more picky over their presenters now... this would be a good stepping stone if radio work was your goal...

I'd volunteer if i had any balls. Are they really lacking volunteers? Seems odd. I'll have a think about it.

Sounds like a good project, I really hope it takes off. The likes of Leith FM get fairly decent audience sizes considering funding, etc, so I hope enough people care to keep the project sustainable.

Two bands now.

im up for anything, if you need stuff to play, i have stuff to be played.

xterma on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

www.facebook.com/pages/xterma/52713337394?ref=nf

Thanks - could you pass on a direct MP3 link? MySpace streaming takes too long and is too error prone for radio play.

Send me a PM - cheers,

Ian

I'd volunteer if i had any balls. Are they really lacking volunteers? Seems odd. I'll have a think about it.

Sounds like a good project, I really hope it takes off. The likes of Leith FM get fairly decent audience sizes considering funding, etc, so I hope enough people care to keep the project sustainable.

Send me a PM if you want to come down one Thursday evening and just see what needs to be done - you could even try your hand at the software - it's fairly easy and quite addictive...