aberdeen-music

Soul Fans

FatHand

A splendid label. I have a Binky Griptite 45 and a Naomi Shelton one, as well as a half dozen by Sharon Jones.

I'll shamelessly self promote my own record blog here - The North East Beast - but I'd really recommend Funky16Corners for all your funk/soul needs. The archive is awesome.

Yeah, noticed that post you put up a while ago. I'm always up for finding out and becoming more familiar with music in these genres. Currently on a Pfunk mission lastfming it. Yesterday was kind of soul and deep funk.

Tru Thoughts lable is really good. I'm sure ChrisAPA will pick up on this if he's looking. We had Belleruche come and play last month.

Any of you folks checked out anything on Salsoul?

I am probably in the same boat as everyone else in the sense that I discovered this label after a Loleatta Holloway sample making its way into 'Ride on Time' by Black Box, along with a cover of Runaway by India which is on the Nuyorican Soul album/12" release.

Might need to pick up a few random tunes from this label and see how things pan out.

Liking the direction of this thread.

I'd like to add to it... are there acts you'd like to see come through Aberdeen. That's what Funk Machine is for now. Got some interesting groups on the cards, just need the appropriate amount of interest for it to be financially viable!

People will go to a night of soul covers or a night of somebody playing records but will they come and see the real deal? There are a lot of interesting soul and funk acts getting the time of day now, it can just be a bit pricey getting a 7 or 8 piece band all the way up to Abrdeen from wherever, generally down south somewhere!

Liking the direction of this thread.

I'd like to add to it... are there acts you'd like to see come through Aberdeen. That's what Funk Machine is for now. Got some interesting groups on the cards, just need the appropriate amount of interest for it to be financially viable!

People will go to a night of soul covers or a night of somebody playing records but will they come and see the real deal? There are a lot of interesting soul and funk acts getting the time of day now, it can just be a bit pricey getting a 7 or 8 piece band all the way up to Abrdeen from wherever, generally down south somewhere!

I think you'd have to judge it from previous Funk Machine nights, although all the times I have been, it has been quite busy!

There are musicians out there that delve more into the realm of jazz (Mike Rae, Simon Gall etc.), so there seems to be a distinct gap in generation unfortunately. Some of the jazz standards Precipeace used to do at Kef were bloody excellent, especially when it went funky.

I guess I am kind of straying away from the point here - there are big fans of funk/soul out there in Aberdeen, but I think you would maybe need to get a better known local act on the bill along with some other great bands for support to open the gates even more. I would suggest Soul Funkin' Hot (even though they are a function band), although I am not sure how much they would cost.

i play with them so sure it wouldn't be a problem haha

Duh, I am so stupid - it says in your 'Bands' and everything -.-

I just realised something - you know Pauline Craib right? Plays trumpet in AKA Ska? She mentioned about 3 years ago about a band being formed by a Colin who used to be in Souled Asylum. She asked if I would be interested in playing bass but I stupidly turned down the offer. Was that new band eventually Soul Funkin Hot?

I might have the wrong Colin though...

Could have been me actually, sounds like just about the right time and we were looking for a bass player at start up, I was also playing with AKA Ska round then too. I think I remember Pauline mentioning you actually, that's coming from the dark recesses of my mind!

That's Colin Black.There's Zony Mash if you can dig them out of retirement or Klunk.

Either or man we'd be equally happy, just whoever is up for it! Give me a ring to sort something out soon, if Klunk are good to go then do that, or if Zony are good to go then we can do that also, just let me know.

Back to the out of town performers, Belleruche were a manageable price, as are all of the groups that are booked for the rest of the year, or more they accept the terms of playing a show with us rather than the other way round. We'll keep going down this route for the time being. There are some really ace acts that have expressed an interest in playing the night but they're on the slightly pricey side ... if I had unlimited cash I'd definitely be splashing out on all of them!

• 1 month later...

Should have called it the funk and soul thread never mind.

Check this awesome youtube vid of Sly and the Family Stone playing Woodstock. Now that's a performance! Can also tie this in with the old cliche thread... the singalong bit in a show. Although that's one cliche that I like.

YouTube - Sly & the Family Stone-Woodstock-I want to take you higher

Donny's cover of What's going on is off the hook,Everything is everything smashes it too,i'll copy the album for you if you want.A bit sad that the dude threw himself out of a window in NYC age 33.

Yeah totally, didn't know much about him until recently. Was expecting a huge volume of work then read about his illness and suicide. Tortured soul.

• 2 months later...

Ok, not added to this in a while... I'm back on it. Been listening to funk breaks all afternoon after listening again to the Craig Charles funk and soul show... here is one that I discovered from that show, the one that was played was a different version but couldn't find it so this is the original by the Sylvers.

I love this version of Superstition

Just a trumpet and not the massively layered clavinet parts that are in the record. Stick around to the end to hear some awesome trumpet.

Digging this today as well..

YouTube - Marva Whitney - Unwind Yourself (1968)

And this is awesome

YouTube - Fred Wesley & The Funk Band

and this too.

I'm looking forward to adding in trumpet to Super Six for next year. Makes a massive difference to the tapestry of a song. It also makes you think hard about how to use intonation and dynamics to best effect.

Saw Maceo Parker in the Music Hall about 10 years ago.....he is the absolute shizzle.

And this is awesome

YouTube - Fred Wesley & The Funk Band

and this too.

I'm looking forward to adding in trumpet to Super Six for next year. Makes a massive difference to the tapestry of a song. It also makes you think hard about how to use intonation and dynamics to best effect.

Fred smashed it at the Lemontree a couple of years back with,Clyde Stubblefield,John Jabo Starks and Bernie Worrell.He was reading out the tunes to the band off a scrunched up bit of paper in his pocket and Bernie was reading chords of a little filofax....lolz :D