aberdeen-music

a new era for music

Jenni.

i've become less and less bothered by things like artwork. i can take it or leave it really. i still buy hardcopy music when i can, but i could easily get by without. i mean, hey, nice artwork on a cd/lp - great. but i'll look at it once and then never again. i think the relationship between the musician and listener is much more important. thats what makes me want to buy a record, not what its wrapped in.

As far as im aware, the only way to listen to a new cd is sitting cross legged on my bed with headphones on staring at the artwork and following the lyrics. This digital crap is killing the music industry. hence why there's so many shit bands. I mean.. theres even a digital download chart. kinda like the top 20 chart hits or whatever... but counted by how many itunes (and other things such as that) download are bought. It pisses me right off.

And as for the lp's/cd's/mp3's argument... lp's have superior sound quality. it's not as clean sounding as a cd but it's more of a real sound if you know what i mean...

This digital crap is killing the music industry. hence why there's so many shit bands.

actually you are wrong this "digital crap" is killing record companies not the music industry. i think it show that is artists like madonna and U2 can get rid of their label and put out records (which you can still buy in the shops, not only as a download) that the record companies are now rather defunct.

and as you your comment about this being the reason for so many "shit" bands is absurd, the reason there is so many "shit bands" as you put it, is because alot of these people spend too much of their time posting incorrect or irrelevant speels of jizz. and just because a band is not to your liking (or "emo" as you've put it so many time before) doesnt make them a shit band.

good day to you sir

why is there never a bitchslap smilie when you need one

• Upvote 1

for a start there's always been loads of shit bands around, its just in the digital age its easier to become aware of them!

i dont have a problem with sound quality at all, since i'm pumping the computer through an old second hand pioneer speakers and amp (bought in a charity shop for 60 quid) its as good as when was playing cd's through a player rigged up to the same system. even better if i want to be old fashioned i can record stuff to cassette to play in the car! sorted!

i love it, not having to root round trying to find a CD and finding old and new music to listen to all the time.

for a start there's always been loads of shit bands around, its just in the digital age its easier to become aware of them!

i dont have a problem with sound quality at all, since i'm pumping the computer through an old second hand pioneer speakers and amp (bought in a charity shop for 60 quid) its as good as when was playing cd's through a player rigged up to the same system. even better if i want to be old fashioned i can record stuff to cassette to play in the car! sorted!

i love it, not having to root round trying to find a CD and finding old and new music to listen to all the time.

Didn't you say all that in one of your earlier posts?

You're like a broken record. :rolleyes:

This thread is basically doing someones dissertation research for them, lazy arsed student!!, I'd like to steer it now indeed.

Why the hell would you want to pay for a collection of digital files?

Having bitten however, I'd say I agree on preferring the physical copy, but when it comes to rare tracks, or those extortionately priced (deletions, etc), then I'd much sooner have the track I desired than not, regardless of medium. Plus I like the PC jukebox vibe, its better than multi CD changers ever were, Playlist-tastic.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to a Blu-Spec CD yet? They have only been around for about 8 or 9 months, but I am interested to see how they compare to standard red books and MP3s.

I've not heard one yet but i'm a bit skeptical about it. I know that the difference in the pitting process should make a little bit of a difference but i think the best thing that could come out of it would be using the same hard-coating technology that they use on Blu Ray discs. However, i'm not sure that they use that on those discs.

As for digital music vs hard copies, i will always prefer physically owning a CD over downloading one as i don't think downloads represent good value for money and i would always worry about hard-drives going tits up. At least i have all my CDs and, despite the lengthy process, can still re-rip them onto a new hard-drive.

I do, however, use Spotify a lot as it's a good way of listening to things at work. For starters it means that i don't have to cart 100s of CDs around with me. I also find it a good way to check out music i might not on CD impulse buys due to being a bit more selective on what i spend my money on these days.

My general rule for downloading though is that i will only download free material that is made available by the artist themselves. I have broken this rule on the odd occasion to get my hands on rare, out of print material.

This thread is basically doing someones dissertation research for them, lazy arsed student!!, I'd like to steer it now indeed.

I was wondering that, seeing as she hasn't posted in about 2 years, along with the fact her posts weren't really answering other people, more putting out points she probably wanted to discuss in the dissertation.

It doesn't really say much about yourself if you rely on a music forum to obtain opinions of your own on this subject, or even worse, to cite users as a reference (which I doubt would be acceptable).

I've not heard one yet but i'm a bit skeptical about it. I know that the difference in the pitting process should make a little bit of a difference but i think the best thing that could come out of it would be using the same hard-coating technology that they use on Blu Ray discs. However' date=' i'm not sure that they use that on those discs.[/quote']

This is understandable - it doesn't matter if the pits on the CD are finer if the master recording has already been represented to its highest possible extent already on a standard redbook CD or any multimedia file formats (FLAC seems to be popular-ish these days).

It would be interesting to see if there are any differences with live recordings though. I am tempted to pick up Flood by Herbie Hancock, which was originally a Japanese only release and has just been reissued on Blu-Spec over there, and the Japanese dig good quality audio.

Chill out. I am not writing a dissertation, as I said, my initial post was based on a design brief. It is an extra-curricular competition for a place on a D&AD design course in London. I have a week to design a new way of browsing, buying and listening to music and so forums are an ideal way to understand the territory and a range of viewpoints. If I was required to cite my research, which I'm not, I would think forum research was not only acceptable but extremely relevant for a project on social media and the digital age.

A lot of people have posted their personal preference, and I am more interested in those who choose to download or use online streaming services because I believe this is the way design will progress. I also found it interesting that a lot of people use the service at work, and so wanted to think of places we listen to music where you don't have access to your vast personal library. I think someone here mentioned a portable spotify player, which is where things will go. However, trying to make a large website user friendly on a small handheld device gets into complex interaction design which is not my speciality.

My current concept is a digital radio for your car. Digital radio offers thousands of stations so it is hard to know what to listen to or how to navigate easily. When you're driving and listening to the radio you can push a button when a good song comes on to "love" the track (although I need to think about the semantics). When you get home you can remove the radio (as most can now for safety) and it has a flip out usb that connects to your computer. You then have the option to stream for free, or purchase the tracks you "loved", learn more about the bands, and the main selling point is that it will then recommend you radio stations based on the kind of music you "love" and you can update the preset buttons on the radio, so you can keep updating your top 5 stations. Now I just need to design the thing...

Chill out. I am not writing a dissertation, as I said, my initial post was based on a design brief. It is an extra-curricular competition for a place on a D&AD design course in London. I have a week to design a new way of browsing, buying and listening to music and so forums are an ideal way to understand the territory and a range of viewpoints. If I was required to cite my research, which I'm not, I would think forum research was not only acceptable but extremely relevant for a project on social media and the digital age.

A lot of people have posted their personal preference, and I am more interested in those who choose to download or use online streaming services because I believe this is the way design will progress. I also found it interesting that a lot of people use the service at work, and so wanted to think of places we listen to music where you don't have access to your vast personal library. I think someone here mentioned a portable spotify player, which is where things will go. However, trying to make a large website user friendly on a small handheld device gets into complex interaction design which is not my speciality.

My current concept is a digital radio for your car. Digital radio offers thousands of stations so it is hard to know what to listen to or how to navigate easily. When you're driving and listening to the radio you can push a button when a good song comes on to "love" the track (although I need to think about the semantics). When you get home you can remove the radio (as most can now for safety) and it has a flip out usb that connects to your computer. You then have the option to stream for free, or purchase the tracks you "loved", learn more about the bands, and the main selling point is that it will then recommend you radio stations based on the kind of music you "love" and you can update the preset buttons on the radio, so you can keep updating your top 5 stations. Now I just need to design the thing...

I'll take one! But what about the art work ;)

Chill out. I am not writing a dissertation, as I said, my initial post was based on a design brief. It is an extra-curricular competition for a place on a D&AD design course in London.

Ah well, I work in an academic library, so am very used to (lazy-arsed) students trying to get someone to do all the work for them. Good luck trying to steer anything on here though.

Personally, I think the digital revolution in means of production is far more important than that in means of distibution, and deserves infinitely more research, but it requires an element of technical comprehension. Its much easier to talk about I Pods*.

*Or in Latin, I Paudius.

Hmmm, what Digital broadcasting system offers thousands of stations? The roaming capabilities of Digital Radios are pretty pathetic as well.

Currently Digital Radio in cars is a very hit or (though mainly) miss concept. Now if you could come up with a 3G roaming car version of Spotify i think you might be onto a winner...

Hmmm, what Digital broadcasting system offers thousands of stations? The roaming capabilities of Digital Radios are pretty pathetic as well.

Currently Digital Radio in cars is a very hit or (though mainly) miss concept. Now if you could come up with a 3G roaming car version of Spotify i think you might be onto a winner...

Yeah that just clicked. You only get around 30 stations in most areas, scuppered! Think I got muddled between reading about internet radio.

There is a prototype internet radio, that relies on a 3G mobile phone contract to work:

CES: Blaupunkt debuts world?s first Internet car radio - Gadgets

plan b then.

Youtube is my main source for 'checking out' bands, even if it's a shit lyric video made by a 9 year old douche from the other sire of the world, most bands will have a good few songs up there somewhere. If I like a band will source the CD from Amazon Marketplace, Amazon, Town, or iTunes - in that order.

Streaming websites are OK, but I'd much rather own a CD or file to play as and when I want to, be it on the move or at home.

I listen to most digital music on Spotify and Youtube and I download free mixes by DJs all the time. I still buy my music on CD but I then rip it at 192kbps and stick it in the cupboard. I just like a format that comes with a built in backup of lossless data quality, for the day when I buy my new cybernetic ears.

As for the future of music... well, I love the streaming sites but they still don't have everything. It seems better than the early days of iTunes where some albums were only partially available. Hopefully the days of big labels cock blocking distribution will end. Logically, we should also be seeing 24-bit portable players with ultra high bitrate support coming out but, human hearing being a bit shite in general, there's maybe not as much of a push for HD audio except by the audiophiles amongst us.