aberdeen-music

Powerpop

Soda Jerk

A bit of a dumb title for a genre, but I've been listening to alot of Big Star and Any Trouble recently, and now I'm captivated by Powerpop. Do you have any recommendations? Anything from pacey 60's jangly pop to the snotty, nasal early Elvis Costello new-wave/soul type stuff. I would like more of this and everything in between.

Share your recommendations with me.

I'd recommend the fabulous Jellyfish 1990-1993

Two great albums Bellybutton and Spilt Milk full of great songs brimming full of melodies, harmonies and general top poptasticness. Unfortunately they imploded after the ornate and complex Spilt Milk (More Beach Boys, Queen ish than the first album) but there's also a Best of which takes from both albums plus a few other bits n pieces.

The solo stuff / offshoots are cool too The Moog Cookbook (truly bizarre instrumental moog covers), The Grays, Jason Faulkner, Imperial Drag etc

Here's the AllMusic blurb:

allmusic ((( Jellyfish > Overview )))

Here's a few tasters...all live as the originals are no longer on YouTube

The Ghost At Number One

YouTube - Jellyfish - The Ghost at Number One (Live on Later...)

That Is Why

YouTube - JELLYFISH "That is Why" (1993)

New Mistake

I quite like Royworld. "Dust" is a cracking tune.

I'm finding this quite hard to bracket. Powerpop doesn't seem to have any real definition. The Rumble Strips are nae bad.

Ben Folds Five 'Whatever and Ever Amen' and his first solo album 'Rocking the Suburbs' are worth a wee listen.

It is quite an odd genre to put music into, but another good shoutis 'Something/Anything?' by Todd Rundgren.

Bits and bobs by Cheap Trick are pretty awesome. And, on the subject of Jellyfish, Roger Joseph Manning Jr's first solo album 'Land of Pure Imagination' is fantastic.

Can't beat good pop, in any of its various guises.

Another few suggestions

Badfinger

YouTube - Badfinger - Come And Get It

And the Raspberries

YouTube - Raspberries- Go All The Way/I Wanna Be With You

YouTube - THE RASPBERRIES Tonight

For a new bit of local powerpop there's:

Moray loon but Glasgow based Felix D'Arcy and Pictures from the Pavement

Felix D’Arcy on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Inverness band Jyrojets - Hollywood Hold On

Jyrojets on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

• 1 month later...
Ben Folds Five 'Whatever and Ever Amen' and his first solo album 'Rocking the Suburbs' are worth a wee listen.

It is quite an odd genre to put music into, but another good shoutis 'Something/Anything?' by Todd Rundgren.

Bits and bobs by Cheap Trick are pretty awesome. And, on the subject of Jellyfish, Roger Joseph Manning Jr's first solo album 'Land of Pure Imagination' is fantastic.

Can't beat good pop, in any of its various guises.

All three Ben Folds Five records are great. Roger Manning Jr used to be Beck's guitarist (during the Mellow Gold/Odelay years), so he is by default a dude.

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned Titanic Love Affair yet. Their guitarist, Jay Bennett, went on to be an important member of Wilco for three or four albums and tragically snuffed it a coupla months ago :-(

• 2 weeks later...