aberdeen-music

Movies

Flash@TMB

Welllllll

Tell ye this for nowt. On the occasions when we have done this (movie night thing), there are always punters that walk in and are bemused, firstly by the fact that nothing is happening and they have walked into the middle of a film, secondly as they try to order a drink at the bar, they are frowned at for chatting in a 'pub'. It's a fine idea in theory but tricky in actuality. Hope it works though. Myself? I prefer to shut the doors stick the sound system up high and enjoy whatever dvd we have to hand. The new Spiderman cartoons are ace on a big screen by the way!

Jim :up:

Guest haigyman
think theres enough movie suggestions to keep this idea going for a few decades im certainly up for it though perhaps stay away from the overplayed movies hidden gems are the best even better when you have not seen it before its much more enjoyable to watch a film new to you than one seen a hundred times.... though theer are obvious exceptions to this of course.

i vote that first film tro be shown is pirates of the carabean it fits well with the setting of your fine establishment we can all get drunk and cry aarrgghh!!!! and its garanted to fill the pub :).. plus we all have an excuse to dress like a pirate (not that we ever need an excuse!)

surely your second paragraph contradicts your first? pirates of the caribbean - hidden gem!?

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out the movies again after the bar shut last night with a small test audience. The sound is well sorted. MTA told me how to take a digital output from the DVD straight into the desk and convert it to the correct clockrate and signal type. Nobody seemed to notice how duff it was on Wednesday but it's first class now.

• 2 weeks later...

When we first showed movies the sound was a bit funny. It turns out that in cinemas the speakers are positioned behind the screen, and the sound EQ'd for travelling through the screen fabric. Home theatre systems take this into account and internally re-equalise the sound to take the absence of the screen into account. Obviously our PA system lacks this feature so we had to adjust things manually. Now after a little tweaking it sounds fine.

Unfortunately we are not permitted to externally advertise the movies under the terms of our PVSL license. It turns out that this includes posting details here (although I had hoped this would be considered 'internal'). Never mind because we are allowed to put up posters within the bar, so you can check out what's forthcoming next time you're in.

• 3 weeks later...
can i ask what legal rights' date=' persmission, and the likes what have you you have to broadcast these to an audience?

(MIGHT JUST BE ILLEGAL)

,might.[/quote']

Anything copyright requires one or more licenses when played in a public place. The same thing applies to CD players, jukeboxes, karaoke, and covers bands. With movies it's a bit more complicated though...

First there's the issue of a cinema license. We are exempt from this because we have elected not to charge an admission fee, however we did still have to go through official channels to get the green light.

There are also the usual issues regarding fire exits etc, and we were already complient with those.

If you are operating a reel film projector then there are additional issues relating to fire and storage of the films because film is very flamabale. This did not apply to us as we are using a cinematic quality CRT projector, and the films are on DVD not reels.

Until recently, in order to show a movie in public (and this includes inviting your mates round to your house), you had to contact the individual studio that owned the rights to that picture and request permission for a screening. That process had to be repeated for every film, and as you can imagine could often be quite lengthy - hence the reason that you didn't see many public performances other than cinemas. There were several organisations setup specifically to approach the studios on your behalf, but the typical turnaround period was several weeks, and the charges were prohibitive.

Only recently has a new license become available known as the PVSL, the Public Video Screening License. This covers a large selection of films, from a large number of studios BUT it doesn't cover EVERY film! It involves an annual fee AND there are several strict conditions attached. One of those is that we are not permitted to charge an admission fee (and that includes hiking the drinks prices). We must either rent or purchase the DVD's... we aren't allowed to use pirate copies, or borrow someone elses LOL. We are not permitted to advertise the films externally, although we can put up posters inside the bar. We also have to report back quarterly on which movies we have shown so that the royalties can be appropriated off our subscription fee.

The fee itself is based on the number of visits people make to the bar every week. In other words if 300 people each visit the bar 4 times then this counts as 1200 visits. The more visits, the bigger the fee. NOTE this applies to ALL the times we are open, not just when we are showing a film.

Incidentally we are not allowed to show movies off of TV!

There is one major advantage though, in that we can show CERTAIN films before they are released on DVD, or to the video shops, or to SKY etc. So far we haven't done this, mainly because we were keen to show some of the older films until the night had built up a following.

It was only when this license became available that it became viable for us to show movies in the bar.

So in a nutshell... YES!

Fuckin' A 'The Warriors'! Warriors' date=' come out to play...[/quote']

It's likely that we'll show this movie at some point.

Interestingly has anyone noticed that just getting across Aberdeen at 2am on a weekend night is not dissimilar to the events depicted in this film? Except none of the gangs in the movie wore Burburry. A similar movie Assualt on Precinct 13 always reminds me of the Ghostbusters riots.

Back when Ghostbusters was released in 1984 or 85? there were only 2 cinemas in town the ABC123 and the Odeon (now the Cannon Gym). Ghostbusters was in the Odeon. There was huge hype about this film and on the SECOND day it was on a huge queue built up that tailed about 1/4 of a mile down the Hardgate. We were about 1/4 way back.

So this bunch of casuals (neds) decided they didn't want to wait and tried to storm the place. Pretty soon the front of the Odeon was just a huge mound of sweaty teenage boys fighting each other to get in. I was one of the few that managed to squeeze through. There were people with crushed ribs etc, and the police had to be called.

It must have been scary for the cinema staff.

Back when Ghostbusters was released in 1984 or 85? there were only 2 cinemas in town the ABC123 and the Odeon (now the Cannon Gym). Ghostbusters was in the Odeon. There was huge hype about this film and on the SECOND day it was on a huge queue built up that tailed about 1/4 of a mile down the Hardgate. We were about 1/4 way back.

So this bunch of casuals (neds) decided they didn't want to wait and tried to storm the place. Pretty soon the front of the Odeon was just a huge mound of sweaty teenage boys fighting each other to get in. I was one of the few that managed to squeeze through. There were people with crushed ribs etc' date=' and the police had to be called.

It must have been scary for the cinema staff.[/quote']

Fucking hell.

• 11 months later...

Sounds awesome, defanitely come to quite a few of them. Can a list be put up of the films and dates of when they are going to be shown?

I remember when drakes put up a projector and showed a premier of a skate film, worked very well. Any chance of doing anything along those lines? Watching anything on a big screen, with better sound makes them so much better :D

Sounds awesome' date=' defanitely come to quite a few of them. Can a list be put up of the films and dates of when they are going to be shown?

I remember when drakes put up a projector and showed a premier of a skate film, worked very well. Any chance of doing anything along those lines? Watching anything on a big screen, with better sound makes them so much better :D[/quote']

We are permitted to put a list of future films, dates, and times up in the bar, and have a chalk board beside the jukebox for this purpose... although I need to update it. Sometimes the audience just selects the film from a pile on the night.

Under terms of our license we are not permitted to advertise what films we are showing externally. Like here for instance.

Guest blackadder

would be there is the easy part but finding a baby sitter would be the hard part ah well looks like i'll be waiting until i can give her to the garndparents for the weekend!

can i surgest the the origional Invisible Man would go down well would get Jake there and he can quote the whole bloody film! lol

Fi