aberdeen-music

Movies

Flash@TMB

Showing movies in the bar

After some discussion and research into the necessary licenses etc, it may be possible for us to show movies in the bar. We're looking at installing a large wind down screen immediately in front of the stage shutter door. The screen would be approx 9 feet x 6 feet 9 inches in order to show both widescreen 16:9 and also standard 4:3 films. We'd also fit a DVD CRT movie projector onto the first ceiling beam. The sound would come through the PA system.

The plan would be to show either 1 or 2 movies each week. The movies themselves would be highly regarded famous movies and cult movies. Everything from Pirates of the Carribian to The Godfather.

Drinking, smoking, and the bar in general would continue as per normal.

Please note that we would NOT be showing any sporting events!

Game on!!! Would deff be down there for a load of beers with a load of mates if such classics as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday 13th, They Live, Taxi Driver, Glengarry Glen Ross, Matrix, Se7en, Debbie does Dallas etc etc....were showing! :up:

One thing.....obviously in cinemas you have to STFU.....would the same rules be in effect? Obviously its never gonna be totally silent, else you'd be too afriad to order a pint....but its great to have a good crack whilst watching a film, altho sometimes I do appreciate a good bit of silence during a film....

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i like the sound of this...i get really bored in cinemas most of the time, it would be different in this setting. go for it i say!

We only admit underagers (14s-17s) on Fri night, Sat night, and Sun night. In other words for the Wrecking Ball and live music.

There would not be a STFU rule, life in the bar will continue as normal.

People less interested in the film could sit further back from the screen, or drink at the other end of the bar.

Sounds like a good idea.

Would you have to pay on the door like gigs or is this a free thing?

How recent would the films be, like would they have to be out of the cinems a certin amount of time before you could show them?

Obviously if you were doing one a week there would be a mix of old and new.

One of the things I like about the cinema is not having smoke in my face while i'm watching' date=' but you know, you make the rules.[/quote']

The bar has pretty good smoke extraction and air cleaning. This tends to suck all the smoke up up up and away. We've actually fitted 3x the recommended number of air cleaners. Some days it's virtually smoke free, other days it's less effective. For a bar we have decent quality air.

Would you have to pay on the door like gigs or is this a free thing?

The bar will operate as normal' date=' there will not be a door charge. Drinks prices will be as normal. The movies will be incidental to the operation of the bar.

How recent would the films be, like would they have to be out of the cinems a certin amount of time before you could show them?

Obviously if you were doing one a week there would be a mix of old and new.

Mostly they'll be older films. We're thinking along the lines of films that are well regarded by the critics. Goto IMDB.com and look at the top rated 200 films, that'll give you an idea. Or open a copy of Halliwells Film Guide and check out everything with 2 or more stars.

moviedeathrace2000.jpg

You've got to show this.... :rockon: Set in 2000 (made in '75) it's so funny seeing how they thought earth would be like 25 years after the film, it's also just randomly ace, funny, and it's got Stallone... can't really ask for more... eerrmmmm yeeaaa

About the sound, wil it just be the R and L speakers either side of the stage? Or will you be investing in full-on dolby surround sound... I'm guessing you'll be using DVD's and it's practically standard to have dolby surround on the discs... Can't wait to see what this idea ends up like, i've got band practice on tuesdays - but that gives me a reason to finish early...

• 2 weeks later...

As a slef-confessed Film Buff I'd definitely attend this kind of event on a regular basis.

Might I suggest some Cohen Brothers classics such as The Big Lebowski, Fargo, The Man Who Wasn't There and Miller's Crossing?

I dare say Fight Club would go down a treat!

The first rule of Moorings Movie Night is nobody talks about movie night.

The second rule of Moorings Movie Night is nobody talks about movie night.

(Sorry! Couldn't resist.)

that's a fucking great idea. could you get in kitsch movies too, like beyond the valley of the dolls or anything by john waters? ooh and princess bride, labarynth, the dark crystal. maybe once every couple months have a particularly kitsch movie night and encourage people to dress up for it. you should certainly encourage people to dress up for rocky horror picture show too. when people get a chance to dress up and make an effort, they tend to drink more.

Guest haigyman

yeah!! labyrinth!! you remind me of the babe... You should also show metropolis, black mask 2: city of masks, chopper, old horror movies like friday the 13th, nightmare on elm street, and plenty of kubrick's! clockwork orange, space odyssey...

think theres enough movie suggestions to keep this idea going for a few decades im certainly up for it though perhaps stay away from the overplayed movies hidden gems are the best even better when you have not seen it before its much more enjoyable to watch a film new to you than one seen a hundred times.... though theer are obvious exceptions to this of course.

i vote that first film tro be shown is pirates of the carabean it fits well with the setting of your fine establishment we can all get drunk and cry aarrgghh!!!! and its garanted to fill the pub :).. plus we all have an excuse to dress like a pirate (not that we ever need an excuse!)