aberdeen-music

Anyone know of...

Guest Bob

...artists along the lines of Rob Dougan?

Also, any good musicians who do big, dramatic film scores?

I remember a particularly cool track by John Murphy used at the end of 28 Days Later called "In a Heartbeat", though that took the alternative route of being minimalist and creepy.

There was also a song used in the Sunshine trailer which has been used in loads of trailers - does anyone know what it's called?

Found it on youtube this morning.

YouTube - Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell

This is just GENIUS.

He must have had his cocoa pops the morning the wrote that one.

Clint Mansell is a film-score genius. He was also the singer/guitarist of Pop Will Eat Itself.

Vangelis does some cracking film-score music as well. The entire Blade Runner soundtrack is awesome.

Vangelis does some cracking film-score music as well. The entire Blade Runner soundtrack is awesome.

You read my mind. I was thinking the choral singing in that piece was very like the Vangelis Blade Runner score.

Great score, great film.

Found it on youtube this morning.

YouTube - Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell

This is just GENIUS.

He must have had his cocoa pops the morning the wrote that one.

That orchestral version is actually called "Requiem for a Tower" and was originally performed for the The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers movie trailer. It's used all over the place now.

If you like that then check out the soundtrack he did for the movie Pi (which is more electronica based) or if you like the more orchestral style then the soundtrack he composed for The Fountain is awesome (he collaborated with Mogwai on a few of the tracks on that soundtrack).

I'm a big fan of soundtracks as well. Some composers I highly recommend - Thomas Newman, Cliff Martinez, Mark Isham, John Murphy and Hans Zimmer.

I would also highly recommend the K-Pax soundtrack

You sir, are a fucking genius!

The books are pretty good as well if you ever find the time to read them.

I thought Sheryl Crow's 'Safe and Sound' track from that film was also pretty good.

Haha, yeah I have the K-Pax trilogy book which I have read a couple of times! Amazing. Probably my favourite book ever actually! Have you read 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' by Oliver Sacks? Or 'Moondust' by Andrew Smith?

When I am in the mood for atmospheric instrumental music, I usually listen to

K-Pax OST

American Beauty OST

Bladerunner OST

Metronomes 'Canoe' Metronomes on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Tobias Hellkvist 'Sides' Tobias Hellkvist on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

EL-P 'Cannibal Oxtrumentals' - amazing instrumental hip hop but totally scifi El-P Presents Cannibal Oxtrumentals: El-P & Cannibal Ox: Amazon.co.uk: Music

I also recommend 'The Fountain' soundtrack, it's ace, I listen to it a lot. I also really liked the movie. The 'Requiem For A Dream' soundtrack is worth having in it's entirety although the main theme is definitely the best part of it.

If you want something a bit more out there, the soundtracks Goblin did for Dario Argento are pretty good, start with 'Suspiria' and 'Profondo Rosso'.

Roy Budd's 'Get Carter' soundtrack is also good.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Rea...

...Well his 'Furious Angels' single fuckin sounded like the Reaster was singing on it, worst 99p I ever spent.

More seriously the wide world of Mo Wax records has a lot to offer, it is the label that Clubbed to Death, the only thing he's done that I liked, was released on, although the La Funk Mob mix killed the original, for breakfast. try the Headz or Headz 2 compilations, they pop up on EBay, and to my mind are some of the greatest records released in the 90s.