aberdeen-music

Nicknames

fatboy

Once I left it under a mates sofa and a few days later all these baby spiders came crawling out. Never invited back.

8o

Not suprised you never got an invite back!

Most of my nicknames are derived from my surname. Orf seems to have been the longest lasting over the years. Another one from when I was on the heavy side was Big O, but since I've lost weight and shrunk down my mates just seem to be going with O on it's own now.

Very occasionally someone will call me Evil Dave, which started when Dave worked in HMV for a few years. The staff there (actually I think the individual responsible was Greig Halcion Daze/Red Man Walking/Hidden Leaves) assumed I was the evil twin because I listened to heavy metal and had a goatee, so just called me Evil Dave.

Dave had a really good nickname at school...

Ive had some keekers.

Nostrils was one I got in primary school due to my odd shaped beak,liked that one

Moved to hong kong towards the end of primary, met a guy who didnt want to call me David so called "skitch", no reason, just a nickname, its stuck with me still when they get in touch.

For much of primary and all secondary school I was simply warden (surname), few people knew my first name.

I used to get called "gineger eubank" in my under 18 rugby team, again reffering to my odd nose.Moved to senior rugby and nickname being changed to "swampy", this was due to the fact that on a golf outing in Auchenblae I managed to nail my ball into pretty much the only hazzard on the whole course, a swamp.

Of course me being ginger has shaped many nicknames also.Used to get called Neil lennon alot in the boozers back home, as well as Ron weesley and others I cant remember just remember.Also being reffered to as "ginger bastard/cunt/twat" is also quiete common

These days its pretty much just Dave, although Ive never really been offended by any nicknames, daves just fine.

One time when I was in first year at school (age 11, pre-puberty) a guy punched me in the stomach and in my surprise / pain I emitted a small squeaking noise. For the rest of my 5 years at school I was known as Squeak, which I passionately hated.

In an early example of an internet username sticking, when I registered on this site in 2002 (and also started writing a blog) I just picked a username at random, I plumped for Elwood because I was watching the Blues Brothers at the time. As I started playing in bands and meeting people off the "scene", I was often introduced to people as Elwood and the name just stuck. Not a very interesting story, but 7 years later a lot of people still call me Elwood.

In my last job I shared an office with 2 other people called Ryan, and to avoid confusion the other folk in the office christened me Ray. I was happy enough with Ray until one day one of the other Ryans (who was a mischievous sort) sent an email out to everyone in the office telling that I am Jewish and had been circumcised. From then on I was known "Ray The Jew", which eventually just became "Jew". To this day if I meet anyone from that job I get "Alright Jew?!"

Other than that it's only really been stuff derived from my first name or surname, Ryano, Ryanio, Simmy, Simpsonian etc.

A guy at work calls me Barbara.

However, during that hazy gap between secondary school and University there were a few nights when 'Ninja Monkey' would appear. This is because I would get drunk and climb trees and I'm not tooting my own trumpet here but I'm pretty good at climbing trees. I'd generally snap off a branch when I got up there and call it my 'magic stick' and make people kiss it all night. Once I left it under a mates sofa and a few days later all these baby spiders came crawling out. Never invited back. Either way, after a few of those the nickname 'Ninja Monkey' stuck for a year or so.

you sound abit like holden caufield here

Back in Ayrshire, my nickname was "Diesel", a name given independantly by mates - coz I worked on diesel PSV's (before moving into IT) and by my manager at one of the Junior clubs I played with - alledgedly coz of my reliability, consitency, stamina, fitness - and lack of acceleration when running. Like a older diesel engine I could build up speed, but was slow off the mark.

Quinners - was the usual match-day term of endearment in Aberdeen, quite often accompanied by chants of "Paul-y Quinn's disco pants are the best ..." in reference to my famous cousin's signature song.

in school there was alot: Party Dave, Dangerous Dave, Death Metal Dave, Black Metal Barry, Dave the Bastard, Dod (my middle name's George) and Yoda.

thurisaz for a while, cos I was black metal as fuck, and needed a black metal as fuck name.

Shortly after I was Filthy Dave, cos I was in Filthpact, with another Dave, and I was the dirtier of the 2. This then evolved to Teabags. Basically to avoid confusion between the 2 Daves, I ended up branded Teabags, for no apparent reason (I don't even drink tea), but I did. I found out from a drunken cockney bird at 1 AM while coming down off acid, so it was news to me. The other Dave, Dave Rowlands, eventually got branded Mitch, cos 2 girls in Finland one night seperately said that he looked like David Hasselhoff.

Nowadays I introduce myself to people as Teabags. I do get asked alot "Why teabags? Do you teabag folk?" and I'm ashamed to say I don't.

One time when I was in first year at school (age 11, pre-puberty) a guy punched me in the stomach and in my surprise / pain I emitted a small squeaking noise. For the rest of my 5 years at school I was known as Squeak, which I passionately hated.

I almost gave myself an aneurysm trying not to laugh out loud at that.

The joy of having a musical pseudynom is that if it sticks, at least you chose it, so Mondragon*/Mondo/Mondy are mine. I once gave a dude at school the nickname Weevil, and that well stuck through school. The deceased Aberdeen band Korpse were an all nickname band; Sid, Fluff and Taff not being common names in Dyce.

My uncle ended up being called Rubble; Barron>Barrony>Barney Rubble, that was the 70s, now it would be a Simpsons ref.

*emphasis on the A