aberdeen-music

Security Guards ... Grr

Just as they are not obliged to serve you alcohol or tobacco without your Id' or allow you into the store in some cases.

which i am well aware of. the important point here is that the guard was operating outwith his remit* by asking for id from a person who was simply browsing....

Point A: This is a reasonable enough request

Point B: The position part is reasonable as is a surname however they have the right to refuse this. The only information about the guard you are entitled to is their SIA License number.

with regards to point B, by challenging the guard the recipient of the id request is redressing the balance power, a groovy hat does not necessarily entitle the wearer to unlimited (or any) authority

i have no idea what an SIA number is... care to enlighten me...

Point C: This seems like it would be common sense if you are switched on, challenge 21? Challenge 25?

now this is where i may well be out of touch... it's been a good while since i got id'd for booze, and a hell of a long time since i was 21 or 25

I'm pretty sure that neither Sainsburys or the guard would care if you bought alcohol elsewhere, generally difficult customers aren't shown as much sympathy or understanding as those who are respectful of the fact that they have a job to do which may or may not include Id'ing.

i have no problem with stores being responsible and ensuring they sell alcohol to people of what is deemed to be an appropriate age, however, the guard asking for id from someone simply browsing, which is the crux of the initial post, sounds to me like he was behaving beyond his remit, his comments after the lass complied with his request sound more than a little unprofessional

Spot on but you seem to fail to grasp that sometimes you have to hand over Id' if you want something. The shop owner doesn't want to lose their licence by serving someone who 'refuses' to hand over their Id' because they 'know their rights'.

nope, i didn't fail to grasp this elementary concept. i dont believe any store is going to lose their license because they failed to demand id from someone browsing in the booze aisle.

thanks for the negative rep and the "your post is complete bollocks" from what i can see you have pretty much agreed with everything i have said...

They are allowed to ID you whilst browsing, i challenged a worker once in Asda because he ID'd me when i was just walking through the drinks isle to get to the bakery bit. Bit me in the fucking ass. I even checked when i got into Morrisons where i work, they told me they were allowed to.

you are missing the point i think....

i can ask to see your id, as can pretty much anybody, the point is that you are not obliged to present it to me, or for that matter a security guard (like i said an employee of a company, not a civil servant).

*if there is a formal policy now of security guards being instructed to id people for browsing (or even passing through) the alcohol aisle, in my view, this is pretty intrusive, i would simply not buy my booze (or any other groceries for that matter) from such an establishment.

if there is trully a government directive advising or legitimising such actions i'd be more than a little suprised...

your personal details are a precious commodity. look after them

Why is a security guard IDing people for just looking at the drinks shelf? I didn't realise you needed to be 18 to get into the beers wines and spirits aisle. I'm sure they can't ID you until you actually try to buy it.

I wouldn't take offence at all to someone asking me for my ID when I was buying alcohol, however if they then accused me of having fake ID I'd tell them to fuck off and go somewhere else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by northcountrygirl

to trot out that I looked 12 years of age and not 23 ... I think you'd take exception to that aswell.

Not really, I'm 12.

But no, some people are difficult, it's no big deal.

haha, you're missing the point ... I'm not a difficult customer and I don't normally complain unless I have to. As I said before, getting carded at a checkout is no big deal, getting asked for ID and getting told you look 12 years of age takes the piss. Being told you look 18 is a compliment but 12 is insulting, sorry. Shame that happened, because anytime I've shopped in there before now, I've never had any problems and the customer service has always been second to none.

The management at sainsburys wouldnt give a damn.Useless generally. When i worked there the security were toss pots too.

You should just go to Asda - Generally better prices, and the security can still be dicks but only at night it seems.

Haha, putting a complaint in crossed my mind but to be honest, its not worth it. I generally shop between the 2, tend to go into Asda more times than Sainsburys.