aberdeen-music

Security Guards ... Grr

Damn Security guard in Sainsburys Garthdee today ... I was casually looking at the drinks shelf cos I need drink for tomorrow night when the security guard approached me and asked whether I was on my own or in a group. He then asked for my ID and starting questioning how old I was from it, peered at my photo as if it was fake - okay it was taken 6 years ago, I was standing there going "That IS my ID, that IS me in the photo - I'm 23, I've got my University graduation this Thursday"

He then turned round and said "I know that ID is genuine but you don't look 23, you look 12"

GRRRRR. So not amused! What was worse when I bought my drink, I got carded by a guy who was clearly underage! Not impressed, defo not going back!

the security guard approached me and asked whether I was on my own or in a group..... He then turned round and said "I know that ID is genuine but you don't look 23, you look 12"

Did you not at any point get the impression that he might be hitting on you?

(Badly)

Its a total joke - I wouldn't be happy either if I was in that position. It used to grind my gears in my younger days. I wouldn't care when I left I found my passport in my bag which has a more recent photo of me, so will have to use it more if security guards aren't going to take it seriously.

I usually find getting ID'd funny or take it as a compliment but not by a powertripping security guard in the middle of a supermarket before I'd even picked it up haha

I don't mind getting carded cos I work in a bar and have worked on checkouts and I know how hard it is trying to tell someone's age so getting it from a checkout person, barperson doesn't bother me. It was just the whole security guard's tone, to begin with it was as if he was accusing me of shoplifting and the next that I was underage and my driving licence was not genuine. I was furious - I was just away to come the excuse me I've got a first class law degree, do you really think I would go about lying about these things? but stopped.

I remember last summer, a friend of a friend was queuing for the Priory - biggest scabhole nightclub out but nevermind and she came up against the foreign security guard who had a funny stunt with her ID card - tried to say it was not genuine when it was a driving licence and asked her date of birth and then tried to make out she was lying. He eventually let her in but while this was going on, in went a heap of underagers, it just makes me so mad - rather than pick on people who are age, they should spend more time sorting out underage and getting away with allsorts.

Last year me and a mate got very drunk and stood outside The Priory nightclub IDing people as they went in. This really annoyed the real bouncers on the door. When they asked us to move on we refused.

Since we weren't in the club they couldn't do anything about it so they had to radio the manager and he came out to ask what all the fuss was about.

The bouncer was like, "These two fucking clowns keep IDing people before they come in".

The manager told them, "Look, if these guys want to do your job for you, let them, it just makes your life easier".

Just then, as the manager and the bouncer were arguing about it a really young looking guy came out of the club. My mate stopped him and said, "Hold it mate. I need to see your ID please". The guy got out his ID to show it to my friend and the bouncer went fucking ballistic at us, "WHAT THE FUCK!!!!? You're even IDing cunts coming OUT of the fucking club!!!!"

At this point we doubled over pissing ourselves laughing in the middle of the street.

...but would you really hit on a 12 year-old?

It's the old story of the schoolboy who pulls the pigtails of the girl he likes in class.

In the case of the security guard I was suggesting that because he couldn't think of anything good to say he said something annoying/bad instead.

Forget the whole comment about her looking 12, he didn't believe what he was saying, he was just saying it to say something. Whether she looks 12 or not is totally irrelevant.

(Except to the police)

:up:

Damn Security guard in Sainsburys Garthdee today ... I was casually looking at the drinks shelf cos I need drink for tomorrow night when the security guard approached me and asked whether I was on my own or in a group. He then asked for my ID and starting questioning how old I was from it, peered at my photo as if it was fake - okay it was taken 6 years ago, I was standing there going "That IS my ID, that IS me in the photo - I'm 23, I've got my University graduation this Thursday"

He then turned round and said "I know that ID is genuine but you don't look 23, you look 12"

GRRRRR. So not amused! What was worse when I bought my drink, I got carded by a guy who was clearly underage! Not impressed, defo not going back!

a sainsbury security guard is not a civil servant, he/ she is an employee of a private company. you are not obliged to show him your id.

i'd ask him a. why he wants it, b.ask his name and position in the company, c. under what instructions/ pcompany procedures is he asking for it... finally i might tell him/ her politely to fuck off.... (ie i wouldn't surrender it to him, and buy my booze else where... their loss of custom)

not enough people in the uk know their rights.... it is your responsibility to know yours. pretty much only customs officials, immagration and the police can demand to see your id...

So you're saying you shouldn't have been ID'd at the checkout? I work in the supermarket you're talking about, it doesn't matter if a cashier is under 18, they can approve an alcohol sale as long as they have the approval of a supervisor.

Also, it's company policy for any member of staff to ask for ID, just be prepared and old enough and it shouldn't be a problem. He wouldn't have been doing his job right if he didn't question the validity of your ID.

Diligence shouldn't put you off the shop, the people concerned were only doing as they were supposed to. Also, give the guy some credit, do you know how boring it is to be a security guard in a supermarket? Nothing ever happens!

a sainsbury security guard is not a civil servant, he/ she is an employee of a private company. you are not obliged to show him your id.

Just as they are not obliged to serve you alcohol or tobacco without your Id' or allow you into the store in some cases.

i'd ask him a. why he wants it, b.ask his name and position in the company, c. under what instructions/ pcompany procedures is he asking for it... finally i might tell him/ her politely to fuck off.... (ie i wouldn't surrender it to him, and buy my booze else where... their loss of custom)

Point A: This is a reasonable enough request

Point B: The position part is reasonable as is a surname however they have the right to refuse this. The only information about the guard you are entitled to is their SIA License number.

Point C: This seems like it would be common sense if you are switched on, challenge 21? Challenge 25? I'm pretty sure that neither Sainsburys or the guard would care if you bought alcohol elsewhere, generally difficult customers aren't shown as much sympathy or understanding as those who are respectful of the fact that they have a job to do which may or may not include Id'ing.

not enough people in the uk know their rights.... it is your responsibility to know yours. pretty much only customs officials, immagration and the police can demand to see your id...

Spot on but you seem to fail to grasp that sometimes you have to hand over Id' if you want something. The shop owner doesn't want to lose their licence by serving someone who 'refuses' to hand over their Id' because they 'know their rights'.

I'd personally have asked him to call a manager and proceeded to ask the manager just what the fuck he was playing at by letting his jobsworth demand ID from a customer who was browsing. Chances are that he was operating on his own without being told to do it - and chances are that he would've been told to go home.

If it's company policy, then you walk out and go to Asda instead. I certainly wouldn't waste my time shopping somewhere where people were demanding ID for merely browsing.

Always works if you point out how much you could potentially spend and how you've been put off spending it in that particular store by the actions of some idiot. But give an idiot a uniform and the power goes to their heads - even if the 'power' is about as limp wristed as it gets.

Likewise, people are stupid enough to submit to a search by a security guard on the way out of supermarkets/stores. You're under absolutely no obligation to agree - and any security guard stupid enough to lay a finger on you would open up the supermarket to a very easy unlawful arrest claim.

We tell our staff to remind anyone who looks too young to buy alcohol that is browsing alcohol that they will need ID at the tills. I've not heard of them being challenged before they've even bought anything.

But anyway, the point is, most companies now employ the challenge 25 policy. If a customer isn't happy about being challenged for ID, that's not our problem. We'd rather they buggered off and stopped causing a fuss than us risking our licence, and myself as Personal Licence holder, getting heftily fined and/or losing that personal licence.

Come September, the laws regarding alcohol will see a big shake-up which includes the banning of drinks promotions, etc, so get your cheap booze while you can!

So you're saying you shouldn't have been ID'd at the checkout? I work in the supermarket you're talking about, it doesn't matter if a cashier is under 18, they can approve an alcohol sale as long as they have the approval of a supervisor.

Also, it's company policy for any member of staff to ask for ID, just be prepared and old enough and it shouldn't be a problem. He wouldn't have been doing his job right if he didn't question the validity of your ID.

Diligence shouldn't put you off the shop, the people concerned were only doing as they were supposed to. Also, give the guy some credit, do you know how boring it is to be a security guard in a supermarket? Nothing ever happens!

I'm not saying that I shouldn't have been ID'd at the checkout - that doesn't bother me considering I work in a bar myself and worked in a supermarket last summer and I realise how difficult it is trying to suss out someone's age. I'd happily give the guy credit if it wasn't for his manner and tone and to trot out that I looked 12 years of age and not 23 ... I think you'd take exception to that aswell.