aberdeen-music

Moving to Aberdeen in August.....

TheDriller

Hi there,

:up:

as the thread title suggests, my girlfriend and i are moving to Aberdeen in august/september.

can anyone tell me a little bit about the place? :)

what is the job situation like? (especially in audio work)

i have been playing guitar and bass for years, i have a degree in Video&Sound Technology, and i have a modest home studio setup.

is there much demand for guitarists and bassists?

are we making a huge mistake? 8-)

thanks in advance

Guest droid
Hi there,

:up:

as the thread title suggests, my girlfriend and i are moving to Aberdeen in august/september.

can anyone tell me a little bit about the place? :)

what is the job situation like? (especially in audio work)

i have been playing guitar and bass for years, i have a degree in Video&Sound Technology, and i have a modest home studio setup.

is there much demand for guitarists and bassists?

are we making a huge mistake? 8-)

thanks in advance

There is a company called AVC,you should give them a ring for audio visual work.:up:

There is a company called AVC,you should give them a ring for audio visual work.:up:

I just sent in my cv there.

may i ask what the "general" jobs situation is like in Aberdeen?

I've been working in retail a lot over the years, (like any graduate), and have worked in bookshops a lot, and i wouldn't mind continuing along that line of work for a while.

Guest idol_wild

There is plenty of work in Aberdeen. It's quite competitive, like any city just now, but if you're willing to work then you'll find securing a job relatively easy.

I don't think moving to Aberdeen would be a mistake, but it does depend on what you want to achieve, I suppose.

Check the Trading Post > Musicians section on this website and you'll find people advertising for bands or vice versa. :up:

There is plenty of work in Aberdeen. It's quite competitive, like any city just now, but if you're willing to work then you'll find securing a job relatively easy.

I don't think moving to Aberdeen would be a mistake, but it does depend on what you want to achieve, I suppose.

Thanks,

My girlfriend is going to college in September so i've got to tag along. :)

I've been pretty apprehensive about finding work, i really don't want to end up drawing the dole for the year.

Like anywhere else, you're not likely to just slide into your dream job straight away, but if you're keen enough to stay off the dole then there really shouldn't be a problem getting something half decent. Anyone in Aberdeen who can't get any kind of job after a month or so really isn't trying. Far better than a lot of places I'd say. AVC is a good shout, and there are others so you have a good chance of getting something vaguely sound/vision related after a while.

Where are you coming from?

How you find Aberdeen depends on what you're used to and what you're looking for. If you're coming from a large city like Glasgow, Edinburgh or one of those big places in Englandshire then you might find it a little 'quaint', but if you're coming from the back end of Auchterturra Mains then it'll be like fucking New York. Granite is either grey, or silver, depending how you look at it.

Music scene-wise, you'll see from this site that there are plenty of bands on the go, lots of venues putting on small to mid sized bands and good practice facilities. There's gigs, open mic nights, club nights etc pretty much every night.Shouldn't be a problem finding like minded musos to work with on some level.

Where are you coming from?

We're coming from the planets arsehole, Limerick, Ireland. :D

Thanks a lot lads, its very encouraging reading this thread.

question: i've never worked in an office before but i can type well enough and i'm adept with computers, will i actually be able to do this temp work racket?

my objectives for the next year are to work hard, gather some cash and expand my home studio, so my first priority is getting a decent job of any sort and then looking for aome AV work later.

cheers! :up:

aye, office temping is an absolute piece of piss, i did it over summer when i was still in education. As long as you have pretty good typing skills, and can use all the usual programs (word, exel ect.) you will be fine,

Moneys usually pretty goo too, compared to retail :up:

I am dubious of yr typing skills after reading this post.

Anyone can temp. Every office I've ever worked in always seems to have someone (or even more than one) from an agency who types with one finger and can only just switch the computer with a bit of supervision. Alot of temp jobs don't even interview you anymore, and they just send you out on a Monday, and there you are, in a job for a bit.

Anyone can temp. Every office I've ever worked in always seems to have someone (or even more than one) from an agency who types with one finger and can only just switch the computer with a bit of supervision. Alot of temp jobs don't even interview you anymore, and they just send you out on a Monday, and there you are, in a job for a bit.

Sometimes you might get the option for staying perm too :)

Sounds like a winner :)

thanks