aberdeen-music

Mega Scary Film?

MC Nice Andrew

I liked both version of The Ring, but I thought the Japanese version of Ring 2 was balls. Haven't watched the US one.

I've only seen the US version of the Grudge but it scared the absolute shit out of me. I watch a lot of horror, I've got a bit of a collection and I tend to find I'm kinda de-sensitised to most it these days since I've watched it so much. Monsters, murderers, vampires etc do nowt to scare me but for some reasons ghosts still do. That creepy little bastard in the Grudge scared the fuck out of me, with his weird throat noise. Them Japanese know how to make a scary horror.

the original Omen is pretty chilling. The bit where she jumps off the roof with the rope round her neck while smiling and waving is classic scariness.

Good call, the scene where David Warner gets decapitated is right up there with Mrs. Voorhees losing her head in Friday the 13th. Headlessness/exploding heads freaks me out for some reason, to this day I've never managed to watch Scanners after switching off at the exploding head bit about 10 minutes in. David Cronenberg was a bugger for head destruction, see The Fly 2.

Even Vyvyan losing his head on the train in The Young Ones spooked me. What a fucking wendy I am...

:up:

Even Vyvyan losing his head on the train in The Young Ones spooked me. What a fucking wendy I am...

:up:

That spooked the fuck out of me as well! I was only about 6 and it absolutely stopped me sticking my head out of the car window when my dad was driving. Every time I'm on one of the trains that has the slide-open windows on the door I think about sticking my head out then I remember that bit and don't do it. Horrible!

That spooked the fuck out of me as well! I was only about 6 and it absolutely stopped me sticking my head out of the car window when my dad was driving. Every time I'm on one of the trains that has the slide-open windows on the door I think about sticking my head out then I remember that bit and don't do it. Horrible!

"Do not lean out of the window, I wonder why?" Train siren sounds.............................

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

Christ, I'm freaking myself out now...

:down:

OOoh I like this thread, I love trying to scare this shit mysel !!!

Saw a French film called Martyrs the other week. Scared the shit out of me and my flatmate and she's a massive horror fan. Best horror film I've seen in years!

Noted and ordered from Lovefilms

The Descent has some proper scary bits and is spooky and claustrophic as hell.... until they actually reveal the monsters and you realise they're stupid and a bit shit.
Yeah the caves are well scarier than the monsters good movie tho!
Audtion's scary in a fucked up way. Loved the Orphanage, thought it was pretty scary.

Has any one seen The Strangers? It's not the scariest film i've seen but those masks are pretty creepy.

Strangers was p1ss it's meant to be a true story, but lot's of it was unknown i.e. made up...! Along that lines Tthe last house on the left was ok

My fave horrors are oldies....defo Hellraiser - something about the old cinematics that do it for me and Candyman's quite a good one!

There was a TV movie I used to watch when I was younger called The Haunting or The Haunted, can't remember which, made in the early 90s I think, and it scared the fucking fuck out of me. It was a true story about a family that movied into a haunted house. I had nightmares for months, and some of the scenes still pop into my head these days if I'm in the house alone even though I haven't seen it in about 10-15 years. Like a bit where the guy hears whispering coming from his pillows. I think it was loosely based on the Amityville horrors or something. I don't think it's avaialbe from anywhere now. I had it on video but I lent it to someone and never got it back.

Edit - I think this is it:

The Haunted (1991) (TV)

edit 2 - In fact it was based on this:

Smurl haunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have to agree with everyone on The Orphanage, REC and the Japanese Ring quality horror movies!

I'm a total sucker for a good horror movie, even a bad horror movie here and there.

Some other good horrors worth checking out are Frontiers, Hatchet (Newish film made like an old school slasher) and for something a little different Behind the Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

Martyrs is on my wish list.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say slasher films or zombie stuff are great fun with mates and can give you some good jumps. However for scarability its ghosts etc all the way. The Others is a good flick with a great twist.(no spoilers please). The orphanage was fantastic. REC was pretty intense stuff. Babys Room was on telly recently its Spanish also and i suppose was on because of the success of The Orphanage etc. Yeah that was scary. Instead of a loud speaker for a baby monitor this couple get a video monitor. They fall asleep doting over their bairn saying ahhhh hes the star of our film. Later the dad wakes up stareing at the monitor only to see a ghostly man hunched over the kid's crib. Thats just the start. I went to see the Exorcist at the cinema when i was 18. That kinda stayed with me for a bit. Also i know Blair Witch gets a bad rep now but when it came out that medium hadn,t quite been explored as today.Well off i went to the cinema after a few too many herbal pipes and got well into it. Yeah i was well freked out. Le Stu will concur im sure:popcorn:

Anyone got any suggestions on the scariest film they've seen?

I'm home alone alone this week and want to scare the shit out of myself.

Last film that properly scared me was REC, Spanish documentary style film.

REC is the best horror film i've seen. I've seen loads, but none really scared me like REC did.

Rosemary's Baby is pretty decent, it's the ideas that are more terrifying, it's not a jumpy ghosty oh no film.

I'm not very good with scary films - The Orphanage keeps getting mentioned, but I found it more mysterious than scary. Rec is a good choice though.

Eden Lake hasn't been mentioned yet? I found it exceptionally disturbing, rather than outright scary, but it did the job.

I saw EL and found it really nerve racking. I had to watch something funny afterwoods to destress. Man when she ends up at the house, then realises. God it was horrible and then the audience drifts away from the scene as the men get in the bathroom. That was so clever cos it left you with your own sordid images. Ahhhhhh the injustice. Magic film:up:

Also i know Blair Witch gets a bad rep now but when it came out that medium hadn,t quite been explored as today.Well off i went to the cinema after a few too many herbal pipes and got well into it. Yeah i was well freked out. Le Stu will concur im sure:popcorn:

Yes, I do concur. I don't usually find horrors scary either!

When I first saw the remake of House on haunted hill when I was younger I loved it as it was the first film that made me lose sleep. Absolutely awful ending but some outstandig scenes.

Irreversable was quite scary but not really in the conventional sense.

Enjoyed Rec quite a fair bit when I watched it at my brothers. The scene when the body is chucked from the stairwell was a riot haha.

Pet Semetary gave me the creeps as a kid. As did all parts of The Stand. Always felt sorry for the mute and the retard ...... No not the same person.

Guest Gladstone

I was going to say Pet Semetary which scared the shite out of me when i was younger.

Since then it has to be Blair Witch Project. I think that's one of the scariest film I've seen.

I don't really get scared watching movies. Sometimes a bit freaked out, but not scared as such, but Blair Witch really got me, especially the first time I watched it.

I remember my brother (older brother I might add, he's now 34) telling me Jeepers Creepers was the scariest film he's ever seen. Man was I disappointed. Not only is it not scary, but it's totally shit. It's more like a comedy.

I was going to say Pet Semetary which scared the shite out of me when i was younger.

Two things scared me in Pet Semetary:

1. Zelda ( Out of 3 Zeldas that i know of, i'm scared of 2. The other being Zelda from Terrahawks)

2. When Gage slices Herman Munster's achilles tendons and rips out his throat.

I haven't seen the film in 18 years though so i doubt the 2nd one would bother me that much anymore.

Two things scared me in Pet Semetary:

1. Zelda ( Out of 3 Zeldas that i know of, i'm scared of 2. The other being Zelda from Terrahawks)

2. When Gage slices Herman Munster's achilles tendons and rips out his throat.

I haven't seen the film in 18 years though so i doubt the 2nd one would bother me that much anymore.

The second one is gorier and pretty god damn dark, but it's not really that scary. It does have the two kids from Terminator 2 in it though, Eddie Furlong and that ginger one who he rides his motorbike with. Who ironically gets killed by a motorbike in Pet Semetary 2.

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is amazing. I didn't think it was scary, just really creep since it could happen, more so than a guy getting set on fire then just getting up like it was nothing.

Same deal with the Shining, first and only film that freaked me out, probably because it is really plausible that it could happen (I know some of it is far fetched but you get what I mean).

The best, scariest films will be in the World Cinema section IMO. Still keep meaning to buy Cannibal Holocaust to see why it was banned for so long.

I watched Martyrs on Friday night. Great film highly shocking and pretty scary in parts. I ended up watching a dubbed into english version which was terribly voice acted so if your gonna see it go for the subtitled one. I thought i had the film sewn up but second half totally goes up another notch. Enjoy and prey hollywood doesn't remake and thus ruin it.