aberdeen-music

It's been a long time coming

paranoid

That BBC article's pretty laughable, talk about hype.

At the end of the day the Google operating system is just another Linux varient (despite the BBC saying this is a blow to the Linux community, it's actually a massive boost), albeit one with the backing of a very, very large commercial company.

Here's a bit more of a restrained article:

Google to challenge Microsoft with Chrome operating system | 8 Jul 2009 | ComputerWeekly.com

Yeah I'll probably stick it on my netbook for a go. Can't see it replacing the Windows 7 install I've got on it just now though. Very happy with it, so Chrome will need to be amazingly fast and have a great selection of apps to make me want to switch.

I stopped using the Chrome browser because it seems to have loads of problems doing quite basic things like submitting an HTML form correctly. Loved the speed though, if they can fix the little bugs I'll go back to it.

The only issues I've noticed are from very poorly coded websites, the same ones that don't work in Firefox or Safari either.

They seem to have fixed a lot of the bugs with the 2.0.172.33 release they are on now.

I suppose the question now is:

Who can shut the fuck up quicker? A Linux, Apple or Google fanboy?

Some guy in my work sent out this email earlier:

Well the bottom has just fallen through everything people knew thought they knew about I.T.

Behold Google Chrome OS. Coming in the summer 2010. It will be:

- virus free (yup, it sits on top of the linux kernel)

- extremely quick (a missing feature altogether in Vista)

- extremely secure (online banking to the masses)

- extremely open (most of Googles software is open source)

- extremely cloudy (a lot of apps now sit in the cloud its the future! (and its my dissertation))

- extremely good software (e.g. chrome web browser in every web benchmark out there (including Acid 3 test, web standards, javascript just-in-time) it wipes the floor with IE8).

I particularly love these quotes from the BBC website:

- One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market

- Let's be clear on what this really is. This is Google dropping the mother of all bombs on its rival, Microsoft

- Google wants to eliminate Microsoft and it's a unique battle. The strategy is good.

I just replied with "Dear Google fanboy, please remove my subscription to the Google Fan Club newsletter. I don't care. Cheers"

I can only see this OS getting bundled with netbooks and laptops to be honest - most desktops are still going to be sold with Windows 7. A lot of people want to be able to play games and the suchlikes instead of wanking over how fast their OS is compared to Microsoft's.

• Upvote 1

I can only see this OS getting bundled with netbooks and laptops to be honest - most desktops are still going to be sold with Windows 7. A lot of people want to be able to play games and the suchlikes instead of wanking over how fast their OS is compared to Microsoft's.

You are basing this on the assumption that developers are not going to support the new OS of course, and as such it is all conjecture, correct?

:up:

You are basing this on the assumption that developers are not going to support the new OS of course, and as such it is all conjecture, correct?

:up:

No, I am basing it on the fact that the vast majority of new PC buyers (from beginners to professionals) are going to be wanting Windows because it is familiar territory to them. I use Linux at work all the time (command-based), and while it is far superior to Windows in a business environment (app servers, Oracle etc.), it is mince for home-use.

All Google are doing is adding their own addition to the already bloated open source line of OS' built upon the linux kernel. It's not the revolution all the Google fanboys are making it out to be.

The only way Chrome OS could potentially compete with Windows on desktops would be with Windows compatibility such as Wine on Linux, but they'd have to make it a lot better. Or they could find market niches like Apple have, and Apple have had to strong arm the market a lot to convince people to switch by developing key apps and buying others (Logic Audio for example.)

I don't see why they'd bother. If they can make a killer lightweight Linux distro on sub 150 ARM based net books they will have no competition from Microsoft.

It is Android, just bigger.

Not according to Google.

Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems. While there are areas where Google Chrome OS and Android overlap, we believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google.

Good luck to them I say. It's going to inherit the same problems as all other Linux distros - namely poor hardware support. If they can overcome that, then great, Microsoft will have some decent competition. I'm not holding my breath though. I think this might go the way of BeOS eventually.

Just had a thought. I believe because of the result of the EU anti-trust investigations into Microsoft that Windows 7 won't come bundled with Internet Explorer if you buy it in the EU when it's released later this year. Presumably that means Google wouldn't be able to bundle the Chrome browser with their Chrome OS. Something that I suspect is going to be rather difficult for them to do.

Guest idol_wild
Just told my mate about this, this is how the conversation went.

"See google have made an operating system now?"

"Really? god, only so long before Apple make one, call it the Isystem or something"

*Facepalm*

Is anyone else sick of this "facepalm" shit?

Just sayin'.

Just had a thought. I believe because of the result of the EU anti-trust investigations into Microsoft that Windows 7 won't come bundled with Internet Explorer if you buy it in the EU when it's released later this year. Presumably that means Google wouldn't be able to bundle the Chrome browser with their Chrome OS. Something that I suspect is going to be rather difficult for them to do.

Will Apple stop bundling Safari with OSX?

What about Linux distros only bundling Firefox?

I suppose Google could argue that it's just a browser.

It just goes to show how crap anti-trust legislation really is. You're only breaking the rules when you're massively successful.

Oh and to add, Google have said that the online aspect of their software strategy will be accessible from any compatible browser so I doubt they'll fall foul of anti-trust on that point.

Will Apple stop bundling Safari with OSX?

Technically speaking they should be forced to if they are going to apply anti-trust laws consistently. But like Le Stu says, people only seem to get upset when you've got a massive market share like Microsoft has.

What about Linux distros only bundling Firefox?

That doesn't matter 'cos Linux and Firefox are both open source. No-one is making money from them.