The Sunshine Underground @ The Lemon Tree - Wed 26th August

SMT promotions present..

THE SUNSHINE UNDERGROUND

@ The Lemon Tree

Wednesday 26th August

11.00 + bf

/ 14 plus event

Doors - 7.30pm (tbc)

TICKETS ON SALE FROM 12.00PM - WEDNESDAY 8TH JULY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sunshine Underground are an English, Leeds based indie rock band. The Sunshine Underground play a variety of punk, funk and indie, featured on their debut album, Raise the Alarm, released by City Rockers on August 28/2006. The group is named after a song from the 1999 album Surrender by The Chemical Brothers. The band are originally from Shrewsbury and Telford, and formed while studying at New College, Telford. After New College the band moved to Woodhouse in Leeds where the band started to develop its sound.

They sold out venues in London and Leeds on their first headline tour. Following their successful support slots for LCD Soundsystem, the group earned the Live Band of the Year trophy at the Leeds Music Awards.

Work on their debut album, Raise the Alarm, was completed in May 2006 and was released on August 28, 2006. They appeared on the 2006 spring/summer European festival circuit.

November saw the band play even more gigs, at increasingly large venues throughout the UK, including cities like Glasgow, Preston, Barnsley and London with the addition of other concerts in May 2007. Most notably they played the Other Stage at the Glastonbury Festival in June and played a headline set on the future stage at T in the Park in July and performed at the Leeds/Reading Festival in August 2007, playing on the NME stage. The band headlined the Strathclyde University's 2007 freshers week.

During their tour supporting Happy Mondays, the band played a number of live versions of new songs which are expected to appear on their second album - slated for a 2009 release. These include titles such as 'Fall in Line' (which has now appeared as a recorded demo on YouTube), 'Your Friends', 'What Are You Waiting For' and 'Coming Home'.

In November 2008, after several months of non-activity, the band posted several new demos on their MySpace page titled 'Malibu', 'Epic', 'Darktime', 'Animals' and 'An Introduction'. It was stated by the band that none of these songs would make their second album.

They recorded a song with FC Kahuna named "From the City to the Sea" which was made public and free for download in February 2009. It was released as a free download because it differed too much from the other songs to make it on the album. The song takes a sample from the Aphex Twin track Windowlicker.

On 16 April 2009, the band put up low-resolution versions of five tracks from their new album on their MySpace account; "Coming to Save You", "In Your Arms", "Spell It Out", "Your Friends" and "Any Minute Now". Their new album is to be released by the end of 2009.

The Sunshine Underground

PLUS SUPPORTS tbc

Tickets available from:

Aberdeen - Find Theatre tickets, dates and venues schedules

TicketWeb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMT PROMOTIONS also bringing you in 2009:

SLOW CLUB (Sept 27th @ The Tunnels)

TicketWeb

JAMES APOLLO (October 7th @ The Tunnels)

TicketWeb

THE WAVE PICTURES (October 17th @ Cafe Drummonds)

TicketWeb

and many more to come....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

Saw The Sunshine Underground couple of years ago at Glasto, at that time not really knowing much about them and was well impressed.

Actually tried to book them to play Aberdeen a few times myself, but got nowhere.

Might well get along to this one, should be good. :)

Superb!!

I was disappointed I was missing it as I play football on Wedensdays nights. Got home at 9.30 and thought "feck it, I'm going!". Really glad I did as I loved them. Got in just for their first song starting.

What were the supports like?

aye they fecking ace! such an under rated band! indian red lopez were ace! the second band were pretty gash like!

aye they fecking ace! such an under rated band! indian red lopez were ace! the second band were pretty gash like!

Sunshine Underground were good like. Thought the Romantic Killer Band were pretty bad. A two piece with just drums and guitar that werent particularly good at either

Indian Red Lopez were impressive though I thought there was too much tampering with their sound throughout their set from the sound desk. Was like the sound guy was playing an instrument more than just tweaking levels here and there. Just an opinion though, didnt spoil their set that much. Maybe its just because I was stood next to the sound desk and his bouncing about all over the desk was annoying to watch. :)