aberdeen-music

Set lists

Ithaca

Any thoughts on constructing set lists. I've just got back into gigging and as such am thinking about order of play a little more. Does it depend on venue, amount of people, atmosphere, genre? Is there a fail safe formula that any of you have tried and tested? :up:

oh no, what happened to Belly Crawl?
woops!

Mistakes

Skeletal

Glorious Dead

Slut

Belly Crawl

Workhorse

Flesh & Blood

Buzzards

Betrayer

Stupid People

Mausoleum

though we may be taking Flesh & Blood out. And we haven't actually played this set yet, cos Stupid People is a new one. And we might have another new one as well by the next time we play Aberdeen.

I suppose it depends on how in depth you want to go with the running order, and how varied your songs are. You could look at issues like where you use capo's and possibly different tunings, and trying to streamline songs together if you want it to run smoothly with minimal downtime between songs. Also consider how songs start and end, how they link in to each other as well. But a bangin first and last song are a must. If you've any filler, use it as such, dont whap it at the start and think folk will forget about it as the set goes along.

I suppose it depends on how in depth you want to go with the running order, and how varied your songs are. You could look at issues like where you use capo's and possibly different tunings, and trying to streamline songs together if you want it to run smoothly with minimal downtime between songs. Also consider how songs start and end, how they link in to each other as well. But a bangin first and last song are a must. If you've any filler, use it as such, dont whap it at the start and think folk will forget about it as the set goes along.

Very very true, I personally don't vary tuning or use a capo and neither do my fellow band members but I have seen bands changing these things too much during a set and it takes up set time quite unnescessarily (unless of course the songs sound mental in the particular order they are being played but that isn't the case most of the time).

For the past few months we used pretty much the same setlist on tour or even in our Aberdeen gigs, possibly varying it slightly on occasion. We're on a wee break just now to write stuff so it'll change a bit then.

My advice would be that if you're playing in Aberdeen a lot to keep it fresh and change it about in order to avoid becoming repetitive, but if you're playing other cities just play whichever songs you deem as your strongest and will make your set most impressive. We tend to open with a tune called You There with The Haircut tat we recorded for the last Fat Hippy Sampler because it's pretty upbeat and catchy and finish with a tune called She Moves Without Tension because of it's outro......seems to work quite well but I don't feel like I'm in a position to pass judgement. A lot of people have said that our setlist is well thought out and that is pleasing.

Hope that helps!

josh and his magical beard :D

yeah he john is but is yet to meet him

until then he gets to enjoy pictures of his beard

and also Waddel - Set list is devised by me cause no one else will do it and they forget on stage.

Should really get pen and paper

josh and his magical beard :D

yeah he john is but is yet to meet him

until then he gets to enjoy pictures of his beard

and also Waddel - Set list is devised by me cause no one else will do it and they forget on stage.

Should really get pen and paper

I call him Josh Black, he hasn't shaved or cut his hair for months