aberdeen-music

The Ashes thread

Hugh_Jazz

1st test at Cardiff starts on Wednesday.....predictions?

I think England have a great chance this year. Definitely the weakest Aussie side for a while, but still a dangerous team as their recent series win against S. Africa proves. The Aussies also had some bad news today with Brett Lee being ruled out of the first test at least.

The balance of England's side looks decent, although overall they're weaker than the 2005 team....bowling attack looks strong and the lower order could contribue some useful runs unlike in previous years.

Think it's shaping up to be an awesome series. Can't wait.

well...it probably is our best chance to beat the Aussies, but I predict a drawn series and so the Aussies keep the ashes by default.

We don't have the attack to take 20 wickerts in 5 days. Our bowlers need to be inspired and a lot of hope is being placed on the shoulders of our new spinner. Our wicket keeper is a bit of a doubt too.

pete

inthehills

463-4 as rain is about to stop play. i can see whats going to happen, aussies will get a sizeable target, a lead of around 200 and england will bat woeful second innings (all out for under 200) and the aussies will win, same old story!

credit to england for getting themselves out of jail thanks to some gritty hanging on by the tail enders! apart from collingwood the england top order batsmen should be ashamed of themselves 2nd innings. still gripping stuff listening to TMS

• 3 weeks later...

So what's everyone's verdicts so far? Any predictions for the last two tests?

I'm staying with my original 2-1 England prediction. It says something that an Australian attack as ordinary as the one just now is still causing threats to England's top/middle order! Harmison should be brought back for the next test, I reckon. But I'm undecided on who should drop out - Broad or Swann? at the moment, all that's keeping Broad in the team is his batting ability, but isn't Swann an actual all-rounder? as opposed to a bowler who can bat a bit?

Strauss

Cook

Trott

Bell

Collingwood

Flintoff

Prior

Swann

Onions

Anderson

Harmison

or if Flintoff doesn't make it then:

Strauss

Cook

Trott

Bell

Collingwood

Bopara

Prior

Swann

Onions

Anderson

Harmison

I reckon. As for Australia, Watson should be straight out the team. Bring in Andrew McDonald. He took something like 4-11 off 10 overs and got two big scores against a good Northampton (?) side last week and offers something completely new, I think.

Thoughts?

I'm not too sure what will happen - I can actually see the remaining two tests being draws, especially if the weather's bad. England's bowlers need swinging conditions and Australia's bowlers need England to bat badly (which they might yet do, as they did in the 1st test). Australia have more selection problems. I find it strange that they've not picked Stuart Clark yet and their side looks a bit unbalanced. I think McDonald would offer more as a bowler than Watson (it was more-or-less Northants 2nd XI he took those wickets against though!).

Both teams need a heavy revamp of their bowling attack. If I was head of selectors:

England: Strauss, Cook, Key (more experience than Trott, and in form), Bell, Collingwood, Bopara (he is a decent bat, but not a number 3), Prior, Sidebottom, GBH, Anderson, Onions. Save Flintoff for the Oval, and leave Swann out as Headingley is not usually a spinners wicket.

Australia: Katich, Watson, Punter, Hussey, Clarke, North, Haddin/Manou, Clark, Lee (worth the risk IMO), Hilfenhaus, Johnson (probably worth one more chance).

:up:

Aye he's too much of a liability. For the Oval I'd pick:

Cook

Strauss

Key

Ramprakash

Prior

Flintoff

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Harmison

Onions

or possibly drop one of the seam-bowlers for Panesar (which would have to be Harmison as much as I wanted him in the squad). I know dropping Collingwood is a bit harsh but Flintoff and Broad are more than capable of filling the void of all-rounder (and Collingwood hasn#t made much impact as bowler)

Aye he's too much of a liability. For the Oval I'd pick:

Cook

Strauss

Key

Ramprakash

Prior

Flintoff

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Harmison

Onions

or possibly drop one of the seam-bowlers for Panesar (which would have to be Harmison as much as I wanted him in the squad). I know dropping Collingwood is a bit harsh but Flintoff and Broad are more than capable of filling the void of all-rounder (and Collingwood hasn#t made much impact as bowler)

Dunno...you've got 6 front-line bowlers in that side which is a lot, plus you've dropped our best fielder and one of our more reliable middle order batsman in Collingwood.....Colly isn't in the side to be a bowler. He's there for his batting and fielding.

This would be my 11:

Cook

Strauss

Key

Ramps

Collingwood

Prior

Flintoff

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Onions

I'm tipping Broad to come good at the Oval....it's usually a fast, bouncy wicket which should suit him. Harmison has just disappointed too many times for me....and once again, he failed at Headingly after a promising first couple of overs.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Panesar.....even if the Oval spins, he's been so out of form recently, I don't think the Aussies will be too worried.

• 2 weeks later...