aberdeen-music

The Diet Thread

Le Stu

Earls isn't exactly a rip off. Considering the price of a pre-packed sandwich anywhere else, paying around 2.50 - for a freshly made sandwich with high quality ingredients and, more often than not, a ridiculously deep filling - seems pretty acceptable to me.

It is pre-packaged and full of shite though, which makes it not worth 2.50 and therefore a ripoff.

If only Dublin Dave's was open till 3am....

Oh, well in that case, if you've been out on the razz, your health is probably the least of your concerns, so buy a fucking pizza and fall asleep face first in it like everyone else.

Not really - I drink nowhere near as much as I used to, and avoid beer.

I prefer falling asleep face first in burgers anyway, especially your ma's.

• Upvote 1

Unless you're putting away a fish supper on a daily basis, baguettes are not healthy eating. Same with pasta and baked potatoes.

Spend your money on smaller amounts of good quality food (especially when it comes to meat), and be creative with salad. Switching beer for cider or gin also works, so says I.

sandwiches aren't healthy - I went to tesco's to buy a snack dinner, so thought oh sandwich will do, until I checked out a pizza (meatfeast 12" Tesco's own) which was less calories than the fricken sandwich (egg & sausage on white)

diets are easy, drink plenty water, don't eat bad foods and do exercise lol! easier to type than to follow tho when faced with so many good foods

sandwiches are ok if you do them yourself but some of the healthy option pre bought ones are ok but some of them (such as all day breakfast ones) are absolutely lethal.

i look at the saturated fat content of things as well as the calories. another tip is to use spray oil when cooking, cuts out heaps of calories and saturated fat.

actually dieting really isnt rocket science. also however tempting it may be don't starve yourself. i'm having four meals a day and losing weight steadily. managed to comfortably fit into a pair of jeans i that were tight as well 6 weeks ago, its little things like that which are helping keeping me going.

sandwiches aren't healthy - I went to tesco's to buy a snack dinner, so thought oh sandwich will do, until I checked out a pizza (meatfeast 12" Tesco's own) which was less calories than the fricken sandwich (egg & sausage on white)

diets are easy, drink plenty water, don't eat bad foods and do exercise lol! easier to type than to follow tho when faced with so many good foods

that's unlikely... Are you sure it wasn't less calories for HALF the pizza? A lot of the information on the back is done in suggested portion sizes, rather than the total quantity of calories in the pack.

Saturated fat content is more important to watch out for than calorie content. Foods like peanut butter, nuts, and olive oil have a high calorie and fat content, but all the fats are poly/monounsaturated which actually helps break down the saturated fats in your body.

But yes, a lot of pre-packed sanwiches are pretty unhealthy - especially the ones with heaps of mayo.

Unless you're putting away a fish supper on a daily basis, baguettes are not healthy eating. Same with pasta and baked potatoes.

If you are doing any form of exercise, baked potatoes (filled with say cottage cheese, tuna or baked beans) and wholemeal pasta are actually very, very good diet additions. The same goes for baguettes - assuming it's not loaded with butter, mayo, bacon, and lots of high-fat cheese.

avoid white bread it's ridiculous how unhealthy white bread is....I love seeded bread well tasty!

wraps are a good alternative also, or a pitta

I love making salads, but end up with far too much on my plate - avoiding mayo type things of course ;)

Except for yummy delicious coleslaw..... also balsamic vinaigrette makes any salad great.

weightwatchers mayo is good, bit expensive (but what is price is weight loss as i always say) but tasty and you can be a wee bit generous with it.

i've lost well over a stone now, shame i did some major binge drinking at the weekend (and mixing my drinks an all - never good) which set me back a bit but back on track now!

Except for yummy delicious coleslaw..... also balsamic vinaigrette makes any salad great.

yeah totally agree it's good for or coleslaw mmmmm I just like balsamic vinegar on my salad straight up

I hate ready made sarnie's when it's caked in mayo yuck! Ham cheese & colesalw baguette's are good tho!

i've lost well over a stone now, shame i did some major binge drinking at the weekend (and mixing my drinks an all - never good) which set me back a bit but back on track now!

Congratulations on the stone!

This attitude worries me though. You have to continue to enjoy food and drink, otherwise what's the point? The occasional binge is not a bad thing and won't ruin your diet, so don't get hung up on it when it happens.

Eat better, eat less and exercise more.

Buy helman's light. Or make your own mayo if you're really worried what's going into it. Learn about food and what's in your food to make better, balanced, choices and enable yourself to keep eating fun, tasty things instead of counting the calories per 100g.

Counting calories and only buying low, low fat stuff like weightwatchers branded food don't strike me as long term solutions (i'm sure I've seen a report somewhere that low fat option like weightwatchers branded meals aren't actually very good for you or much better than the normal stuff).

Isn't light Mayo pretty bad for you too, with all the chemicals and stuff they use to take the fat out of it?

Probably, but if you're just going to cut out everything that is a little bit bad for you then you're not going to get any joy out of eating ever again. Or you'll completely cave 6 months after finishing the crash diet and put the weight back on.

avoid white bread it's ridiculous how unhealthy white bread is....

Generally it's much better to not have white bread, but if you have just done some intensive exercise, white bread is better for you.

After exercise you need to replenish your body's glycogen stores, and white bread is a high GI (Glycemic Index) food, and therefore does helps your body recover quicker than brown/wholemeal :up:

I find bread of any description addictive. I tried going gluten free for two weeks and got mad cravings. At the end of it I bought a small wholemeal roll from the supermarket and ate it plain.

I was absolutely smacked out of my face o_O Seems like I'm a little sensitive to something in wheat and probably the gluten. It's not the carbohydrate as I was eating plenty of potatoes and other foods that are rich in carbohydrates and starches.

Congratulations on the stone!

This attitude worries me though. You have to continue to enjoy food and drink, otherwise what's the point? The occasional binge is not a bad thing and won't ruin your diet, so don't get hung up on it when it happens.

Eat better, eat less and exercise more.

Buy helman's light. Or make your own mayo if you're really worried what's going into it. Learn about food and what's in your food to make better, balanced, choices and enable yourself to keep eating fun, tasty things instead of counting the calories per 100g.

Counting calories and only buying low, low fat stuff like weightwatchers branded food don't strike me as long term solutions (i'm sure I've seen a report somewhere that low fat option like weightwatchers branded meals aren't actually very good for you or much better than the normal stuff).

think you missed me point, i get disappointed when i over indulge a bit too much like i did last weekend and pretty much break the diet for three days. but totally back on track now.

doing 15-20km a day on the exercise bike at least 5 times a week and eating a well balanced diet, not just relying on low fat stuff either.

for example here's me food diet from yesterday

monday -

bran flakes and yoghurt

2 slices wholemeal toast, 1 egg, 2 veggie burgers

1 cuppa soup and 2 slices wholemeal toast

1 baked potato, 1 peice of breaded cod plus bar b q sauce

melon and an ice lolly

bran flakes and yoghurt

2 slices wholemeal bread plus 2 thin slices ham

think you missed me point, i get disappointed when i over indulge a bit too much like i did last weekend and pretty much break the diet for three days. but totally back on track now.

doing 15-20km a day on the exercise bike at least 5 times a week and eating a well balanced diet, not just relying on low fat stuff either.

for example here's me food diet from yesterday

monday -

bran flakes and yoghurt

2 slices wholemeal toast, 1 egg, 2 veggie burgers

1 cuppa soup and 2 slices wholemeal toast

1 baked potato, 1 peice of breaded cod plus bar b q sauce

melon and an ice lolly

bran flakes and yoghurt

2 slices wholemeal bread plus 2 thin slices ham

That's cool, it was just coming across like you were going hardline on the weighwatchers style diet. Which I don't think is healthy (not that my opinon matters much, but this is a discussion forum).

That's cool, it was just coming across like you were going hardline on the weighwatchers style diet. Which I don't think is healthy (not that my opinon matters much, but this is a discussion forum).

aye can see how it looked like! no, i count weightwatchers points because it helps reduce saturated fat and is much easier than counting calories. really just doing a combination of everything.

one thing i'm doing is eating a lot more vegetarian food. i cook quite a lot but keep some tesco veggie range in the freezer for when i cant be assed cooking. they do a good range of stuff, tried their chicken style peices tonight and whilst only slightly lower in calories, much lower in sat fat but very tasty and filling. their burgers are good an all, and i've started using quorn mince when making shepherds pie or bolognaise. as tesco says 'every little helps' :up: