aberdeen-music

The Diet Thread

Le Stu

Seems like good company for The Fitness Thread.

I tried The Atkins diet for a couple of weeks once. It didn't work for me. I remained unwaveringly the same weight every morning for those two weeks. Plus I was constipated the entire time which was no fucking fun.

I think I'm just going to go the sensible eating route and cut out beer which is the main calorie offender. I managed a whole 6 weeks before succumbing to pleasures of ale last time.

Anyone got any special tips?

1. Eat at regular times

2. Cut down your carbs - you don't really need those extra tatties or slice 'o' bread

3. Where possible, avoid shite like ready meals. Utter junk.

4. Avoid salty snacks (e.g. crisp - easier said than done, I know)

5. Avoid prepacked sandwiches (e.g. Supermarkets, convenience stores, filling stations) -LOADED with salt, sugar and preservatives.

6. Don't replace meals with snacks (e.g "this Mars Bar has the same calories as the omlette/whatever I'm going to eat - so that'll be OK". Eat REAL food everytime

7. Never, ever tell anyone your cutting down or on a diet, coz invariably, they'll try to tempt you with food/drink "Go on! you KNOW you want to!"

im on a health kick after putting 3 stone on my already excessive weight over the last year, i count weightwatchers points but dont go to meetings just doing it meself. i do at least 15 KM on my exercise bike at least five times a week. the trick is to eat regular meals and when you inevitably crack just 'get back on the horse' so to speak.

try and stay off the drink and when you do go for shorts with a diet mixer. the best drink to have is smirnoff or triple distilled vodka as its only half a weightwatchers point a shot, ive gone back to binge drinking every two or three weeks but mainly staying off the booze. problem with booze is that it makes you eat more so if your serious about losing weight then you really need to try and cut it out as much as possible.

as for food, im eating lots of chicken, veggie stuff like quorn mix, turkey rashers, bran flakes, yoghurts vegetables and fruit. tesco light bites range are good, the lemon drizzle cakes are wicked and cheaper than the weightwatchers brand equivilant.

lastly the most important thing you need is willpower but if you eat the right stuff it makes the job much easier, managed to shift about a stone so far...

It's about permanent changes rather than quick fixes. Fad diets just result in putting the weight back on once you stop.

Learn to cook food from scratch and do it as often as you can.

Don't deprive yourself of nice things, just eat them less often (e.g. takeaway pizza once a month instead of once a week). They can also be a good motivational tool for yourself.

Drink diet coke. In fact drink diet everything, except irn bru. After a month you'll not miss the extra sugar and when you do have an occasional full fat tin of juice you'll probably think it's far, far too sweet.

Take fruit to work as a mid morning snack instead of having cakes/biscuits/butteries with your coffee. The big supermarkets have an amazing selection of weird fruit these days so there's always something interesting to try and you're bound to like something.

Eat breakfast.

cut out beer which is the main calorie offender. I managed a whole 6 weeks before succumbing to pleasures of ale last time.

That's really spooky: both times I said that I'd give up the booze for good, I lasted 6 weeks each time before giving in. It's like a fucking block......

cooking from scratch is simplistic and really easy i've found, i never buy those rubbish microwave meals even the low fat ones. turkey burgers are delicious and take longer to cook than to make! get yourself a george foreman grilling machine, its wonderful for grilling things and removes tons of excess fat. i avoid beef mince now replacing it with either turkey mince or quorn mince. i dont drink much fizzy drinks usually water sometimes added with low sugar robinsons. there's lots of little changes you can make that do make a huge difference.

scorge, if you only drank beer once every six weeks thats nae too bad! i used to say that but now just go a few weeks have some then a few more weeks that way your not depriving yourself.

That's really spooky: both times I said that I'd give up the booze for good, I lasted 6 weeks each time before giving in. It's like a fucking block......

That's been in the back of my mind. Onto the 5th dry week now and not a twitch. Weekends are boring as fuck though, makes you realise the whole culture seems to revolve around getting pissed...

:down:

• Upvote 1

you think going out and getting shitfaced is going to be fun but more often than not its a disappointing let down i've found.

That's why I prefer to do it in a residence, in the company of good friends :up:

But I think there are many other threads covering the cunts in this toon and their blight on our nightlife. Thanks for the good responses people.

you think going out and getting shitfaced is going to be fun but more often than not its a disappointing let down i've found.

And that's when you can remember what went on. 20 years of boozing has left me utterly sick of the whole drink thing. Worked with guys with Korsakoff's Syndrome over the years and there's no way I'm going to end up like that. Drink's cost me too much already without it completely destroying my mind.

Still hate straight edge though...

:up:

And that's when you can remember what went on. 20 years of boozing has left me utterly sick of the whole drink thing. Worked with guys with Korsakoff's Syndrome over the years and there's no way I'm going to end up like that. Drink's cost me too much already without it completely destroying my mind.

Still hate straight edge though...

:up:

I love google.:up:

I lost nearly two stone in the last few months, mostly by cutting out beer and drinking 4 pints of water throughout the day at work. It's the first time I've ever upped the water intake while watching what I eat and the results have been dramatic.

Have a 500ml bottle with you at work - refill it twice before lunch and twice before you go home - works wonders. Sometimes you think you're hungry when you actually just need a drink.

cooking from scratch is probably the best way to be honest and try to get in the habit of making big batches of soup, mince and such like because it saves time later in teh week. I'm really bad for coming home after work and just having something quick and easy rather than cooking and nine times out of ten that means eating rubbish.

Cutting out booze would probably help the most to be honest, it's pretty alarming how many calories are in a pint. Plus if you're out boozing you inevitably end up getting food on the way home and there's no chance that you're going to find anything healthy stumbling up Belmont Street. Also don't fall foul to other people's eating habits. My boyfriend eats utter shite most of the time and it's really easy to just end up eating what he does. It never seems to make him add much weight but I blow up like a balloon if I follow his example.

I'm trying to shed a bit of weight at the moment, I've stuck to a pretty simple rule over the last few years which has kept me at a fairly healthy weight (During the week eat fresh, healthy food, lots of fruit, nothing fried, no crisps, chocolate or fizzy juice - and eat whatever I like on Saturday and Sunday) but I've let it slide over the winter and I've picked up a couple of stone which has all going on my belly and tits.

At the moment my eating plan is this:

Morning - oats (with semi skimmed milk and just a little pinch of sugar for flavour)

Lunch - ham sandwiches in brown bread

Dinner - brown pasta with tuna and a big fuck off salad on the side - lettuce, cucumber, red onion, spring onion, celery, sweetcorn, beetroot etc.

And for snacks I've just stocked up the fridge with apples, cherries, nectarines, apricots etc. interesting fruit that I really like the taste of, and a few low fat yoghurts.

Pretty healthy for the most part but without starving myself, and a lot better than my previous diet which was usually just coffee for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pizza, chinese etc. for tea or a big pan of mince and a jar of Dolmio.

I've also upped my water intake, cut down my smoking intake and starting leaving the car at home and walking or cycling to work.

Cutting out booze would probably help the most to be honest, it's pretty alarming how many calories are in a pint. Plus if you're out boozing you inevitably end up getting food on the way home and there's no chance that you're going to find anything healthy stumbling up Belmont Street. Also don't fall foul to other people's eating habits. My boyfriend eats utter shite most of the time and it's really easy to just end up eating what he does. It never seems to make him add much weight but I blow up like a balloon if I follow his example.

This is a major problem in Aberdeen. The only places that sell sandwiches are the ripoff shops like the Buttery and that place on Crown Street which is pissing off, because I would rather eat a sandwich when I am wasted than something that will contribute further to my gut on a night out.

The only places that sell sandwiches are the ripoff shops.

Earls isn't exactly a rip off. Considering the price of a pre-packed sandwich anywhere else, paying around 2.50 - for a freshly made sandwich with high quality ingredients and, more often than not, a ridiculously deep filling - seems pretty acceptable to me.

It's not just on a night out though, if you're in a hurry and want to grab something quick for tea after work, mostly all you'll find is pizza, chinese, fish and chips, kebabs etc. Healthy convenience food doesn't exist for some reason.

Oryza Sushi - just newly opened on Huntly Street. Does takeaway and is brilliant. Not to mention the amazing Chef Jang down the market. I bloody love sushi.

Earls isn't exactly a rip off. Considering the price of a pre-packed sandwich anywhere else, paying around 2.50 - for a freshly made sandwich with high quality ingredients and, more often than not, a ridiculously deep filling - seems pretty acceptable to me.

think hes talking about at night

to get around the buying out stuff then make your own sandwiches! i know its more hassle but going on a diet means change anyway and you just get used to what is after all a small change of habit. id recommend hovis sandwich rolls, just 2 weightwachers points each (most rolls you buy in the supermarket are double that) and they're ready cut.

another thing im doing is keeping a food and exercise diary. i got an ace planner for free from the nurse - do go and see your nurse or GP (i found the nurse much more helpful than my GP). if you got a lot of weight to shift you might want to try xenical pills available from your GP, you have to show that you can lose a wee bit of weight before you'll get it prescribed (not much its about 3kg). dont be ripped off by the 'new' slimming drug Alli, which has been heavily promoted as its available on the high street (cannot speak for scotland but every chemist round here has a huge advert promoting it in the window). its a watered down version of xenical (50% as strong) but costs 50 quid a month! biggest scam ever! so get down to the doc and get the better, prescribed version if your thinking of going down the slimming pill road. but remember these pills will only work with a low fat, healthy diet - the side effects of xenical are to put it as best as i can... runny orangey shites!