aberdeen-music

Women's Tennis

Guest Bob

I don't understand why women get paid the same prize money.

They grunt, grumble and moan about every single shot they have to play and then, half way through the working day they pack up and piss off home.

It's about time they stopped making silly noises and put in the proper effort.

:up:

Really not a fan of women's tennis at all and very rarely watch it. The Williams sisters do very little in between the Slams then just turn up and dominate which really isn't fair on those who are hard workers for the rest of the year. Fair enough they're the "best" around but the wham, bam, thank you mam of it all is so boring. I read that they miss mandatory events too without being penalised, which is rubbish. I'd love to see some of the Russians they churn out raise their game and get some serious competition on the go sometime soon.

As for the grunting, Jesus H. Early on the first week of Wimbledon McEnroe said it all on the highlights programme about just how ridiculous and unnecessary it is, and had a well-justified pop at that young Portuguese girl who said it's part of her game and personality. Whatever. How many of the top male players do it? A small handfull, and even then it's only a fraction of the noise. I really could not watch a match for longer than 5 minutes with that shit. Does it not waste energy too? Utterly pointless. I'd knock 100 off for every grunt, that'd teach them.

The women really need to start playing 5 sets like the men in my opinion. I know that screws up schedules but i'm sure they'd deal with that.

Aside from the Williams sisters i think that Elena Dementieva gave a good account of herself against Serena Williams in the Semi and if it had run to 5 sets the outcome may well have been different.

The grunting is ridiculous though.

The whole setup is in a massive rut just now.

I used to enjoy the women's game - it was entertaining, the players were skillful. Now most of the women on the circuit don't seem to have the same number of shots or even the mental ability to win against the Williams sisters. There's too many carbon copy players. It may be a cyclical thing that will self right, but even if it does, this whole grunting thing has put me off the women's game entirely.

It's total BS and totally unnecessary.

At the Australian Open a member of the crowd shouted out "shut up" during one of Maria Sharapova's particularly noisy rallies. It seems the Australians keep getting it right on this issue.

The girl has AD(H)D?

Isn't that just a doctor's way of telling you your kid needs a good fucking smack?

At the Australian Open a member of the crowd shouted out "shut up" during one of Maria Sharapova's particularly noisy rallies. It seems the Australians keep getting it right on this issue.

The girl has AD(H)D?

Isn't that just a doctor's way of telling you your kid needs a good fucking smack?

No.

Pretty dumb comment even for you :down:

Nice way to show your disapproval of moaning, by erm, moaning about it.

On a message board it's not so much a nice way as the only way.

Besides, you're being a very naughty boy with context and semantics, so stop moaning about it.

during wimbledon i heard a conversation on womens hour (apparently a fifth of the audience are men before any wise cracks!) about grunting and the powers that be are looking into possibly deducting points for excess grunting. who they plan to implement this they never said mind! maybe boffins are busy inventing a 'gruntometer'? i suppose if they have the technology to measure the speed of a serve, they can measure the ferocity of a grunt!

On a message board it's not so much a nice way as the only way.

Besides, you're being a very naughty boy with context and semantics, so stop moaning about it.

Given the idiotic, sexist comments you've doled out so far you're in no position to patronise anyone, so don't.

Given the idiotic, sexist comments you've doled out so far you're in no position to patronise anyone, so don't.

None of my comments were sexist. My objections about the women's game are not based upon the sex of the women who play it but upon the tennis itself. If you re-read through the thread you'll notice that a few other posters even "objectified" the female tennis players. I didn't.

I suspect your argumentative attitude is a symptom of the fact you're angry with yourself because you tried to serve us all an intelligent comment and only managed a double fault.

On the plus side you also know what patronising is, so very good.

It's not sexist at all. Thats like saying "women have vaginas" is a sexist comment. The womens game is far far noisier than almost any male game I've ever seen.

None of my comments were sexist. My objections about the women's game are not based upon the sex of the women who play it but upon the tennis itself. If you re-read through the thread you'll notice that a few other posters even "objectified" the female tennis players. I didn't.

I suspect your argumentative attitude is a symptom of the fact you're angry with yourself because you tried to serve us all an intelligent comment and only managed a double fault.

On the plus side you also know what patronising is, so very good.

"I don't understand why women get paid the same prize money.

They grunt, grumble and moan about every single shot they have to play and then, half way through the working day they pack up and piss off home.

It's about time they stopped making silly noises and put in the proper effort."

That isn't sexist? Or even just plain stupid?

Also, climb out of your own arse please. It's irritating.