aberdeen-music

New Panda Eyes song (its a bit different)

Hello all,

Just uploaded a rehearsal recording of a new song that we've been working on. It's called "Only Tonight" (working title) and is a bit of a departure in terms of what we've previously done. I am quite pleased with it though, except for my inability to play in open D properly!

Thoughts?

Panda Eyes on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Guest idol_wild

Jan, I've been critical of the violin in the past, as I think you and I have discussed, but it's used beautifully here. I like that build up.

Sadly, the song cut off for me a few lines into MC's lyrical vocal.

But it was sounding really nice. A slight shift away from your early sounds, but in a good way.

I like it, it's a really pretty song and it's got a nice celtic folk-y feel to it.

My only negative comment (which feel free to ignore) is that the fiddle is a little bit too much at times. It sounds brilliant and really really adds to your sound, but there's like 4 minutes of solid fiddle before the singing even starts properly, then he/she plays under MC's vocals as well, it starts to grate a little bit. I think it would have a lot more impact if it was used sparingly. Just my opinion like, for what it's worth.

You guys have really come on leaps and bounds since you first started out, and you're doing something really different, which I have a lot of time and respect for. Keep it up....

• Upvote 1

I had a listen last night, I liked the song overall but to my ears it seemed like there were issues with the violin/guitar and singing being in key with each other, it sounded a bit off at times. It may be that my rubbish speakers hooked to my PC misrepresented the song but I don't think so. Sort that out and it's a good tune. The violin is probably the best part of it to make it different. MCJ's vocals are nice as ever.

I had a listen last night, I liked the song overall but to my ears it seemed like there were issues with the violin/guitar and singing being in key with each other, it sounded a bit off at times. It may be that my rubbish speakers hooked to my PC misrepresented the song but I don't think so. Sort that out and it's a good tune. The violin is probably the best part of it to make it different. MCJ's vocals are nice as ever.

I agree actually, although I think it's down to the poor sound in the rehearsal room more than anything else. It's just a really rough recording done on a mini disc...but it gives an idea of how the song might work. It's actually one of my favourites at the moment to sing.

Hey guys

Your new stuff is really great, but there are a few problems with intonation in the fiddle. Not to pick on Carol or anything, but I don't think she should be playing all the time, just leave it to the odd gem...? I think this would help a lot to tightening up your sound.

I think I would also like to hear a few more unusual sounds from the drums i.e. use toms more, snare, etc. But hey it's just my opinion, feel free to it out the window if you like :up: