aberdeen-music

Royal Mail

Soda Jerk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of crap postmen and a lot of good ones!

Lemme explain some things...

One of the many problems is that things are constantly being changed lately and this is meaning there is an inconsistent and rather shambolic service all over the country as these changes are brought in at different places at different times with people interpreting the rules in different ways.

For example as part of Royal Mail's 'modernisation plans' a computer system was used to work out brand new delivery rounds based on a little man on a screen going round the delivery in question at 4 miles per hour. That is fact despite what RM says in the press.

In a lot of cases these rounds are not worked out based on local knowledge or common sense, the computer works it all out using postcodes and the speed this little computer man goes at. He doesn't stop to knock on doors, press entry buzzers, re fill bags, cross roads etc etc. He continually walks at 4MPH for 3 and a half hours stopping at each door for 1 second, the supposed delivery time for our rounds. Basically this is unachievable by any normal person thus the deliveries in some cases take far longer to complete.

Start times have gotten later so the mail is being delivered later.This is supposedly progress!?

A lot of deliveries have gotten longer(see above) this all means that we the postmen(who do their best to follow the rules) are leaving the office to start our deliveries at approximately 10am. A whole number of buzzers etc go off at about this time or about midday meaning we cannot gain entrance to a whole number of buildings.

The public expects that we should buzz every individual numbers do gain entry(this adds on a lot of time), but officially we are not supposed to. The official standard operating procedure is to press the service button and if you cannot gain entrance via that the mail gets returned for re-delivery the next day. after 3 days of no entry the mail is supposedly mean to be sent back to sender.

Things you can do to help a posman do his job better.

Make sure you're flat entry buzzer is working and is on till atleast 2pm.

Make sure that you're name and flat number is clearly marked on both the buzzer and your actual door. Names on doors at the very least is really helpful when we don't have complete addressed items

When you are receiving something try to ensure the sender uses your complete address, the more info there is the more likely you are to receive it. I receive a whole number of incomplete addressed items everyday, combine that with no names on doors and there's little chance for me to be able to deliver that item on time and to the right house.

Make sure dogs are not out in the garden during posting times, or that you do not let a dog get out when the postman knocks at your door. Basically If you're dog is out don't expect to get mail!

If you know you are not going to be in, you can have items delivered to nearby post offices instead so that you can collect them there.

If you are unhappy about the postal service you are receiving or you cannot get the entry system to your flat put on later etc there is what is called a call and collect service available. Basically your mail will be held at the relevant post office depot and you can collect it. It's free.

I know folks like to moan and see every postman as a lazy bastard, but there are a number of hard working people who do their best within the rules of the job.

There's a whole number of possible reasons why you are not getting your mail. It's not always down to the postman not doing his job properly.

Ramblin' post over.

:up:

Make sure that you're name and flat number is clearly marked on both the buzzer and your actual door. Names on doors at the very least is really helpful when we don't have complete addressed items

You'd be surprised how many posties can't tell the difference between 84a and 84b in my block despite it being displayed clearly on both doors.

For the most part though i have no complaints.

You'd be surprised how many posties can't tell the difference between 84a and 84b in my block despite it being displayed clearly on both doors.

For the most part though i have no complaints.

Is 84a and 84b on the items too?

Name and flat number/letter is really helpful, but there will always be mongs who'll continually get it wrong no matter what is infront of them. :down:

One thing thats changing shortly is that posties will no longer be able to sign for stuff (recorded or special delivery) for you and put it through your letterbox (if small enough) if you're not in, so if expecting signed things that have to be signed for maybe consider sending them to yer work address or yer ma (ohh err) if shes basically in all the time.

Oh, and thats fact.

(We send out over 600 of letters and packets every month).

if expecting signed things that have to be signed for maybe consider sending them to yer work address or yer ma (ohh err) if shes basically in all the time.

I always do this.

In fact, I'm sitting with my girlfriend's iPhone 3Gs on my desk taunting me because of that tactic.

o_O

One thing thats changing shortly is that posties will no longer be able to sign for stuff (recorded or special delivery) for you and put it through your letterbox (if small enough) if you're not in,.

Officially that shouldn't have been happening now or at anytime in the past, never mind after changes.

Who ever's been doing that is either doing you a favour, himself a favour or a combination of the two. :up:

Surely signing someone elses signature is very illegal?

... especially with special deliveries which could contain very important items.

Perhaps the postman simply prints the name, as it's sometimes the case that people/customers themselves are only able to do that in their just awoke haze.

My package turned up. Sat at the depot with no red slip posted, just as I assumed. Probably due to our post man not reaching our area til about half 1 and our service button switching off at 12. Oh well. Could have attempted to redeliver it, or actually buzzed my flat since I was actually in on the day it was being delivered.

Guest idol_wild
My package turned up. Sat at the depot with no red slip posted, just as I assumed. Probably due to our post man not reaching our area til about half 1 and our service button switching off at 12. Oh well. Could have attempted to redeliver it, or actually buzzed my flat since I was actually in on the day it was being delivered.

Was the item relatively large?

I bet it was the driver who failed to deliver it or leave a wee red note.

In my experience, the drivers were lazier than the walking posties.

Guest idol_wild
It was an LP mailer, so 12", about an inch thick. Would that have been the driver, or the postie?

Difficult to say. Probably the driver, as posties try and pass on as much as they can do the driver, to lighten their load a little, but drivers then either try to return the said item to the postie to deliver by foot ("I'm nae fuckin' tikken 'at oot wi'me. Ye can dee 'at 'een yersel") or they will do whatever they can do minimise the work - so they probably didn't even attempt a delivery and went straight back to the depot with it.