aberdeen-music

What were you listening to roughly 10 years ago?

xDamerx

I would have just been getting into black metal. Prob a lot of Cradle of Filth then moving into Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Vlad Tepes. Also The Exploited, Wolfpack, Body Count. And alot of local UAE bands like Illuminatus, Perverse, Nervecell and shit like that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had a look at this

1999 in British music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It confirms my memory that, Britney and Fatboy Slim excepted, 1999 was a pretty crappy year for music generally.

Chart music maybe! I've got a Grooverider presents double mix CD with the cream of drum and bass on it from '99 (or thereabouts). Bad Company, Ed Rush & Optical, Dillija, Usual Suspects, Ray Keith. Absolutely bangin', groundbreaking stuff. :up:

1999 saw the rise of UK garage and two step. Most of the stuff that got into the charts was terrible but there were a few gems. (some of the stuff the Dream Team used to play was awesome).

I had acquired my first set of turntables at that point and bought a fair bit of garage vinyl to beef up my collection to more than hard house and hip hop. I remember I went to ayia napa on holiday with the parents but was too young to go to the duncin do I spent a lot of time in the record shops there. Picked up a garage mix by some DJ called Sparks that I thought was the epitome of underground music at the time. I still occasionally listen to it although the fad for that kind of music has almost completely died.

Also went through the obligatory skate punk/ska punk phase. Less than jake, Starting Line, sponge, fenix tx, capdown (who are still awesome) and anything on Fat wreckords.

Guest idol_wild
I listened to The Sun Is Often Out by the Longpigs and Ok Computer by Radiohead rather too much around that time.

That Longpigs album was beastin'. :up:

I would have been 13 going on 14

Which means that I was listening to a lot of Blink 182, The Offspring, KoRn, Limp Bizkit (basically, whatever my brother was listening to at the time)

However, looking at the Wikipedia page with all the album releases I also remember buying Sugar Ray, Chili Peppers, Dido, Macy Gray and a whole loada other nonsense I don't even have lying around anymore.

I listened to the same as what I listen to now largely, but I've discovered so much more since.

But I would say my main listening experiences at that time would have been -

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Dirty Three

Godspeed You Black Emperor

Fly Pan Am

Sigur Ros

Mogwai

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Remy Zero

Papa M/Aerial M

Lo Fidelity Allstars

Moby

EDIT - I've just recalled I was going through one of my periodic Ska/Reggae phases so was listening to some of those 3 CD Trojan box sets, The Specials, Selecter, Symarip, Undercover Ska amongst others...

The Eagles

Ben Folds Five

Super Furry Animals

Blink 182

The Offspring

Van Halen

Green Day

Guttermouth

Vandals

Pennywise

Ataris

Less Than Jake

Mad Caddies

It's odd the we're talking about this cos the other day at Ryan's Birthday BBQ we pulled out all the old tracks, NOFX and Bloodhound Gang and stuff and just annoyed everyone with it.

Slipknot

Korn

Limp Bizkit

Papa Roach (although I'm thinking Infest was probably released in 2000)

Spineshank (same, I think they released The Height of Callousness in 2000)

One Minute Silence

Deftones

Therapy?

Pantera

Soulfly

Sepultura

Metallica

Nirvana

Black Sabbath

Led Zepplin

+ heaps more.

Nu metal FTW!!

:up:

Like a lot of people here I was listening to and obsessing over 90's American alt. rock with the odd exception:

Nirvana

Sonic Youth

Smashing Pumpkins

Foo Fighters (they used to be such a great band)

Velvet Underground

Yo La Tengo

Weezer

Pixies

Dinosaur Jr.

Led Zeppelin

The Breeders/The Amps

Pretty much 90's alt. rock

Foo Fighters (they used to be such a great band)

Really did. Didn't get into Colour and Shape much, apart from the few obvious stand-out tracks, but the first album is boss. I love the sound of it. The way it's recorded and how it sounds just a little bit older than it is. Not a duff song on it, but nothing massively stands out either. Just great from the start.

I really love the 3rd album too, even though it seems to be quite overlooked. Aurora is my favourite Foo's song, as poncey as it is. Live-in Skin has such an awesome riff too.

Really did. Didn't get into Colour and Shape much, apart from the few obvious stand-out tracks, but the first album is boss. I love the sound of it. The way it's recorded and how it sounds just a little bit older than it is. Not a duff song on it, but nothing massively stands out either. Just great from the start.

I really love the 3rd album too, even though it seems to be quite overlooked. Aurora is my favourite Foo's song, as poncey as it is. Live-in Skin has such an awesome riff too.

I'm pretty much the same, I was bored after the first 2 albums, although I usually don't mind hearing their singles I don't buy them anymore. I'm actually quite disappointed how boring and stadium rock they turned out. I went to see them at Wembley last year because my other half still loves them and although it was OK, I couldn't believe how cheesy some of the patter was. For some reason I always thought Dave Grohl would be against all that. Fair do's to him for becoming so much more than the bloke who played drums in Nirvana though.

This is exactly how I feel about them.

Hmm, can't forget Fear Factory, and yes Spineshank for me as well!! 10 years I also got my Soulfly and Slipknot tattoos. My Soulfly tattoo is now covered up and I plan on lazering my Slipknot tattoo off to make way for more tats from the might Uncle Allan!!

Fair enough, I was 16, and I was pretty stoked when Soulfly came out with that song with Corey Taylor, Jumpdafuckup! Haha! I nearly got a Chimaira, Static-X and Korn tattoo as well, so glad I came to senses before I was covered in Nu Metal band tattoos! PHEW!!

Guest idol_wild

Having given it further thought, I have realised that I was also spaffing quite heavily over Unwound and Kristin Hersh about ten years ago too.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

Guest idol_wild
Unwound are great. I only discovered them this year because I'm a bastard.

My life changed when I first heard Unwound. One of those bands I really wish I'd have been able to see live.