aberdeen-music

What were you listening to roughly 10 years ago?

xDamerx

I recently put my iTunes on random play the other day, and some System Of A Down came on from their first album and noticed it was from 1999, and thought about what I was listening around that time. So put your pride away and share some of your shame(or not shameful) music from about 10 years ago!

Doesn't have to be exactly 10 years like!!

Mine are

Slipknot

Korn

Limp Bizkit

System Of A Down

To name a few!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently put my iTunes on random play the other day, and some System Of A Down came on from their first album and noticed it was from 1999, and thought about what I was listening around that time. So put your pride away and share some of your shame(or not shameful) music from about 10 years ago!

Mine are

Slipknot

Korn

Limp Bizkit

System Of A Down

To name a few!

Those are pretty much the same as mine.

But add Adema and RATM to that list.

Actually stil enjoy listening to them :)

Mine are

Slipknot

Korn

Limp Bizkit

System Of A Down

To name a few!

i was listening to this then, and still do now!

Mine are

Slipknot

Korn

Limp Bizkit

System Of A Down

To name a few!

Pretty much this along with Greenday, Foos, Offspring, Deftones & Rage

Guest idol_wild

I was spaffing my load over American alt-rock bands about ten years ago. Oh wait...I still do that. Oh well.

The main bands I was listening to 10 years ago were probably:

Sonic Youth

Nirvana

Dinosaur Jr.

Idlewild

R.E.M

Bikini Kill

Huggy Bear

Sleater-Kinney

Mogwai

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Joy Division

Geneva

Guided By Voices

Radiohead

Husker Du

I still listen to them all, aside from Geneva (though I suddenly have a hankering to listen to their first album), Huggy Bear, Bikini Kill and any new Idlewild material.

Guest idol_wild
90's American Radio Rock is the best.

Hells yeah! I should probably add Weezer to the list there too. I was on a healthy diet of Weezer around that time.

Guest idol_wild
It's slightly depressing realising that the albums I bought all those years ago still get played regularly... a lot of music nowadays is disappointing, especially compared to what the bands produced years ago!

Fuck that. New music > old music any day of the week for me.

Try other genres.

Unless you mean the new music produced by those same old bands. In which case, I tend to agree.

Fuck that. New music > old music any day of the week for me.

Try other genres.

Unless you mean the new music produced by those same old bands. In which case, I tend to agree.

I would usually agree with this, but the past few months I've realised the bands I'm liking alot right now are mimicking certain sounds from 10/15/20 or so years ago, and whilst they are cleaning it up and making it a bit slicker, they aren't neccesarily doing it better. The new perspective of the sound is definitely interesting and enjoyable, but I don't think I could ever decide whether I prefer it over older incarnations as clear cut as you just did. I just need both!! :up:

Guest idol_wild
I would usually agree with this, but the past few months I've realised the bands I'm liking alot right now are mimicking certain sounds from 10/15/20 or so years ago, and whilst they are cleaning it up and making it a bit slicker, they aren't neccesarily doing it better. The new perspective of the sound is definitely interesting and enjoyable, but I don't think I could ever decide whether I prefer it over older incarnations as clear cut as you just did. I just need both!! :up:

I hear you, comrade. But I was mainly taken aback by the bold claim that all new music was basically not as good as old music. So I wanted to attack the claim; some of the new music going about is brilliant.

But we cleared the issue up because the poster didn't mean that. I tend to agree that bands who have been around for 10 years plus can't quite reach the same level in their new material as they did with older material. Longevity and all that. There are, in my opinion, one or two exceptions but generally these bands fail to live up to early promise. It's the way it goes, I suppose.

And I'm currently loving how new bands mimick older bands but put a new slant on it or, even better, use the sounds to write good tunes. See: any band influenced by the Kinsella/Chicago movement of the 90s. I am not a massive Joan of Arc fan, I like them 'n all, but they are massively influential and some of my favourite contemporary bands mimick them a bit but write better tunes. I'm all for that. :up:

I guess I agree with that too. I kind of don't like bands being around too long anyway, spoiling legacy's, however long or short they may be, with forced mediocrity. Daunting back catalogues are also quite annoying. Especially when you just want to own every bloody record, but there's just too many. Or you want to get involved but you just don't have a clue where to start!