aberdeen-music

ISPs

Is that true?

On a similar note, I looked at BT's website yesterday, and the connection charge is about 120 for a new line, which I was kind of expecting through past dealings with BT, but my wife was speaking to a couple of BT engineers that happened to be doing a bit of work on our road yesterday, and because of our location (middle of nowhere), they seemed to think it could cost up to 1000 to get a phone line (due to it being underground cabling or something), despite the fact there's a house directly across the road, because they have to go under a road or something. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

That's correct. I was contracting for Openreach a while ago and learned that when they install new duct, cable etc. the costs are entirely born by whoever makes the initial order. However, I would check to see if that really is the case in your particular situation.

Guest Gladstone
That's correct. I was contracting for Openreach a while ago and learned that when they install new duct, cable etc. the costs are entirely born by whoever makes the initial order. However, I would check to see if that really is the case in your particular situation.

That's not entirely the news I was looking for, but cheers for the info :up:

MOBILE BROADBAND?

Does anyone have any experience of this? I.e. the one where you plug a usb stick thing into your laptop/pc without the need for a BT connection?

That's not entirely the news I was looking for, but cheers for the info :up:

MOBILE BROADBAND?

Does anyone have any experience of this? I.e. the one where you plug a usb stick thing into your laptop/pc without the need for a BT connection?

If you're on o2 you can pay 14 per month on top of you current mobile cost for mobile broadband with 3gb cap

or get simplicity 20 - if you dont intend to watch videos, stream music or download files

600min(unltd o2-o2), 1200text(unltd o2-o2), internet or wifi bolt-on included Tariffs - O2 pay monthly SIM only tariffs

If you have a sony-erricson or another supported phone you can use that to connect to the internet - via usb cable to your phone instead of 25 for a dongle

Guest Gladstone
If you're on o2 you can pay 14 per month on top of you current mobile cost for mobile broadband with 3gb cap

or get simplicity 20 - if you dont intend to watch videos, stream music or download files

600min(unltd o2-o2), 1200text(unltd o2-o2), internet or wifi bolt-on included Tariffs - O2 pay monthly SIM only tariffs

If you have a sony-erricson or another supported phone you can use that to connect to the internet - via usb cable to your phone instead of 25 for a dongle

Cheers - I'm on vodafone....

I know (or have looked - can't remember off the top of my head) the tariffs etc for hooking up with vodafone.

Has anyone used the service though? Just wondering how reliable it is.

Really? I have Demon at home and have had no problems whatsoever. Maybe their business broadband is different though.

Yeah, connection drops out a heap too, nae good. It normally drops out when there is something I really need to publish on our website, just for shits and giggles.

:swearing:

Cheers - I'm on vodafone....

I know (or have looked - can't remember off the top of my head) the tariffs etc for hooking up with vodafone.

Has anyone used the service though? Just wondering how reliable it is.

You would need to check if you get a 3G signal out at your new place. It'd probably be pretty slow if you don't. Saying that, you can buy pay as you go versions for next to nothing, so it'd be easy enough to find out how good it would be without signing up to a contract.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gladstone

Re-hash of an old thread.

My mobile broadband through Vodafone is complete bollocks. Just got a pay as you go stick, but only use it very occasionally because it takes so long to load anything!

However - our BT line should eventually be installed today. Upon calling BT, we were informed the connection fee would be 120, not the 1000 that the BT engineers reckoned. I'm sure the bastards that they are will probably send us an invoice for 1000 anyway though. It will be getting shoved firmly up their collective ass though.

Are most in agreement that Sky Broadband is the way to go? I have Sky TV in the house already - does anyone know if you still get all the deals etc on Sky talk/broadband if you're an existing Sky customer?

Plus, will they still pay our connection charge...?

Guest Gladstone
Only if they have their LLU (local loop unbundled) equipment on your exchange. Check at http://www.samknows.com/

Otherwise other providers may offer a better service.

I'm on this server apparently:

SamKnows Broadband - Availability - New Pitsligo (NSNPT) Exchange

It is only ADSL enabled. What the feck does that mean?

I'm guessing it means Sky Broadband ain't a good idea...

I'm on this server apparently:

SamKnows Broadband - Availability - New Pitsligo (NSNPT) Exchange

It is only ADSL enabled. What the feck does that mean?

I'm guessing it means Sky Broadband ain't a good idea...

It means Sky buy the capacity from BT Wholesale and therefore the quality of your service depends on how keen Sky are to phone them up and shout at them.

From working in LLU enablement, I can tell you they're pretty good at demanding to know why BT can't fucking do anything right but that's a different division.

Guest Gladstone
It means Sky buy the capacity from BT Wholesale and therefore the quality of your service depends on how keen Sky are to phone them up and shout at them.

From working in LLU enablement, I can tell you they're pretty good at demanding to know why BT can't fucking do anything right but that's a different division.

So...

Does that mean Sky is a good idea on that server?

Or would a different ISP be a better option?

Sorry for sounding ignorant as fuck, but I guess that's what I am... :up:

So...

Does that mean Sky is a good idea on that server?

Or would a different ISP be a better option?

Sorry for sounding ignorant as fuck, but I guess that's what I am... :up:

It just means that, in your exchange, Sky are no better than any other ISP who use BT Wholesale to provide broadband so you might as well shop around.