aberdeen-music

DHC presents LIMBO v DHC - MEURSAULT / HAIGHT ASHBURY / THE LITTLE KICKS / DEBUTANT

THURSDAY 9TH JULY.

DHC V LIMBO NIGHT!

@ SNAFU

9pm DOORS (special early opening!)

Dirty Hearts Club on the 9th July sees a one off collaborative night at Snafu with a combination of two of Scotlands best club nights for showcasing new music coming together!

Aberdeens own Dirty Hearts Club combines forces with the fantastic Edinburgh based Limbo night. Limbo is the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburghs weekly Thursday event which is now a household name in the capital city. Andy and Davids carefully crafted nights are now legendary for mixing up and coming bands, along with The Black Spring DJs, aka Hobbes (also one half of Trouble DJs, getintotrouble.com) and DC, DJing at at the night too.

Since November 2007, Limbo has been staging the most exciting live acts on the circuit at Edinburgh's Voodoo Rooms, working with breaking Scottish bands such as Frightened Rabbit, Broken Records, We Were Promised Jetpacks, XVECTORS, Zoey Van Goey, Punch & The Apostles, Fangs, Unicorn Kid, Sparrow & The Workshop, Dollskabeat, Meursault, Come On Gang! and Found, plus up-and-coming touring outfits such as Modernaire, Micachu And The Shapes, Marina And The Diamonds, The Chap, Colourmusic, S.C.U.M. and Joe Gideon & The Shark.

The cream of the crop from the tail end of last year's Limbo was recently collected on a CD of top notch live recordings from the club, called Limbo Live Volume 1. Like DHC, Limbos focus is on creating great line ups with bands of different styles that compliment each other and work together make an ace night!

So for this night we have:

MEURSAULT

Meursault on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The shape of folk to come - Meursault are a blisteringly evocative electro-folk collective from Edinburgh.

"One of Scotland's records of the year" - The Skinny

"An unassuming triumph of glum-pussed Scottish charm" - Drowned in Sound

HAIGHT ASHBURY

Haight-Ashbury on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Glasgow based melodic folk rock with a decidedly 60s CSNY / Love / Bat for Lashes vibe!

THE LITTLE KICKS

THE LITTLE KICKS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Fresh from releasing debut album Boxing Clever recently, this will be the last chance to see the band locally for quite a while.

DEBUTANT

Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

A combination of simple, dreamy songs augmented by a build-up of shimmering atmospheres.

"Debutant's music ignores genres altogether, sounding something like what would happen if Mark Kozelek and Kevin Shields had an afternoon, a spare room and a multitude of ideas. Definitely worth checking out live" isthismusic?

FOLLOWED BY LIMBO DJS / DHC DJS TILL 2am

Guest idol_wild
I can see Debutant playing more 'last' gigs than The Damned....:up:

Ha. I expected Graeme or offramp to offer this, but it makes sense that it's you. ;)

I didn't even want to be included in the promo or anything - I just decided to play because some of my dear friends are also on the bill. So it'll be a reet laugh. :up:

yeah, two weeks ago was worse tho id say, me and lewis spent the two hours before DHC downloading Commodores and Fatback band tracks - then i downloaded various cheesy disco hits - one of which being a thing called Disco Intro (a 6 minute medley of intros to disco songs which borders on wedding music) and an electro version of Do you think im sexy? - Rod Stewart.

I havent played either yet - for good reason.

but the Commodores Machine Gun - id say it could be the best song ever.

That was a cracker of a night, i thought all the bands were grand!

Shame about the talking through Neils set but i think it spurred him on to just outdo them!

Was nice to see Phil play before he moves on , and for Bobbs last gig before he goes travelling he was really happy with how it went as a wee send off.

Cheers to all who popped down.

Guest idol_wild

Agreed. Good night. Everyone I spoke to had a good night too. :up:

I thought Meursault coped with the chatter quite commendably. But the chatterers did cut short Meursault's set, in my opinion. Which is a big shame - and it is evidence that those who attend gigs and talk all the way through sets really do ruin it for those who attended to see the live music. But that was always going to happen.

I think I'm not alone in saying that I would have liked to see Meursault perform a few more numbers.

I'm going to miss The Little Kicks. Every time I see them I can't help but smile, nod my head and tap my toes. Which is saying a lot, because I'm not much of a smiler, head-nodder or toe-tapper. Infectious songs, charismatic banter, and slick as fuck. I'll definitely be there at the next Edinburgh gig. They'll miss Bob - good sticksman, so he is.

It was my first time seeing Meursault and Debutant and thought both were awesome! Little Kicks were awesome as usual and I need to get out and buy a copy of your album asap!

Good Luck in Edinburgh Phil, may see you there as I move to Bonnyrigg in 3 weeks.

Can't wait till our show in Snafu on 23rd!