aberdeen-music

fat people

ben_1903

I'm just amused he called me a waste of bandwidth. Are you fucking kidding me???

Nope, given that you haven't contributed to this thread in any other way than making fun of people with weight issues i think it was justified. I assume that you're a relatively intelligent man but what you've contributed is tantamount to standing on the sidelines cat calling while the school bully verbally abuses the fattest kid in school.

Nope, given that you haven't contributed to this thread in any other way than making fun of people with weight issues i think it was justified. I assume that you're a relatively intelligent man but what you've contributed is tantamount to standing on the sidelines cat calling while the school bully verbally abuses the fattest kid in school.

No, but I have been calling you out for being pretentious and wanking all over this thread. :up:

Thread summary:

Alkaline:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Ultimate TL : DR moment.

/thread

Inertia_on_varying_densities_of_fat_cells.jpg

By the way, if you're going to sling shit at people you could at least do it out in the open where other people can see you being a dick rather than name calling on the sly.

PS Our TVs are competitively priced with all electronics and TV stores in Aberdeen.

No, but I have been calling you out for being pretentious and wanking all over this thread. :up:

How am i being pretentious? I'm having an open discussion on something i feel strongly about with other users of this site. The forum this thread is posted in is called "General Discussion" not "rip the shit out of people just for the sake of it to try and look clever".

If you have a problem with someone being able to sass you back then you might want to man-up a little :up:

How am i being pretentious? I'm having an open discussion on something i feel strongly about with other users of this site. The forum this thread is posted in is called "General Discussion" not "rip the shit out of people just for the sake of it to try and look clever".

If you have a problem with someone being able to sass you back then you might want to man-up a little :up:

Well, quit whining about people calling you a cunt when they leave me rep then!

This goes round and round...

Not really. Think about population dynamics and evolution. Say for example there is some sort of worldwide event that means that ridiculously fat people are suddenly in possession of the most desireable genetic traits, people's perception of what was and wasn't attractive would change quite quickly in terms of procreation (needs must etc.) Then the gene pool would lean heavily (no pun intended, honest) towards those particular genetic traits and the population may only consist of larger people with shorter lifespans. Stranger things have happened.

I think also if you were to casually ask someone from 150 years ago (where's my flux capacitor?) whether they thought interracial sexual/personal relationships was an attractive prospect they would probably poo poo the idea as ridiculous, whereas now it is commonly (and rightly so) socially acceptable. Who's to say that obesity or the larger form might not have the same fate. Just because it's socially and sexually frowned upon to be obese or fat these days that it might not be a desireable trait 150 years from now? Social attitudes change dramatically over time.

Couldn't give a shit if they were. I might feel a little bit uncomfortable but in a lot of cases i could move if i wanted to. They are as entitled to be doing whatever they like in those circumstances as i am.

I have been accused of not being able to argue, but i'd like to think that i'm not arguing just putting across a different point of view.

I actually quite like the argument here for evolution, brings in an interesting side to the debate :up:

BUT. The argument is flawed at a very basic level:

Natural selection would only select for fatties with a genetic basis for being a fatty, not for those who over indulge in macdonalds and then blame it on slow metabolism. That is to say, they would die like the rest of us.

Given this thread is regarding fatties who make themselves fat and not those with a medical condition, it's irrelevant.

In addition, if we were to have a world famine genetic fatties would probably not be selected for: they are inefficient in terms of energy conversion, they take the energy and send it straight into layers of fat - rather than sending it to be of use in the body.

I can just see it now... on www.imaddictedtocake.com, a bunch of fat people on a forum saying how ben is an oily little ned and should be sent to the moon.

Of course their insults would read something like; "Befemn issa anbn oilklky tlkiuytytlke njmdf5ercfd", unless they own special dialling wands to circumvent having sausage fingers.

must spread repuation around sadly...

I actually quite like the argument here for evolution, brings in an interesting side to the debate :up:

BUT. The argument is flawed at a very basic level:

Natural selection would only select for fatties with a genetic basis for being a fatty, not for those who over indulge in macdonalds and then blame it on slow metabolism. That is to say, they would die like the rest of us.

Given this thread is regarding fatties who make themselves fat and not those with a medical condition, it's irrelevant.

In addition, if we were to have a world famine genetic fatties would probably not be selected for: they are inefficient in terms of energy conversion, they take the energy and send it straight into layers of fat - rather than sending it to be of use in the body.

I was waiting for someone to try that one. Genetics dictate physical size and proportion and they also dictate how people's bodies deal with things. Metabolism is a genetic thing as well and some people are more predisposed to the threat of obesity than others. Obesity is very much influenced by a persons genetics as well as how they react to external stimulus. Genetics can even dictate someone's appetite depending on the presence or not of certain genes (Leptin in particular being a major one for both appetite and metabolism).

Due to genetics peoples bodies obviously respond differently to exercise and eating some people gain weight very easily whereas others don't and some people develop muscle and tone a lot easier than others. Somebody who doesn't necessarily eat any more than your average person in respect to volume or type of food could easily be much more susceptible to developing a weight problem if their genetic make-up is predisposed as such.

Natural selection can be through linked genes as well. For example it may be that everyone in the human population that doesn't suffer from a Leptin deficiency is more susceptible to a particularly fatal external stimulus.

Not really flawed in my opinion, just common sense genetics.

I've no idea who she is, but there's nowt wrong with the figure on it if you like a bit more "round for your pound".

:up:

Round for your pound... Surely you don't have to pay for girls of that 'calibre'?

I wouldn't say she's the one for me to be honest, but she certainly doesn't fit into the same size category as the people I was talking about throughout this thread.

The other six of them do, however.

I was waiting for someone to try that one. Genetics dictate physical size and proportion and they also dictate how people's bodies deal with things. Metabolism is a genetic thing as well and some people are more predisposed to the threat of obesity than others. Obesity is very much influenced by a persons genetics as well as how they react to external stimulus. Genetics can even dictate someone's appetite depending on the presence or not of certain genes (Leptin in particular being a major one for both appetite and metabolism).

Due to genetics peoples bodies obviously respond differently to exercise and eating some people gain weight very easily whereas others don't and some people develop muscle and tone a lot easier than others. Somebody who doesn't necessarily eat any more than your average person in respect to volume or type of food could easily be much more susceptible to developing a weight problem if their genetic make-up is predisposed as such.

Natural selection can be through linked genes as well. For example it may be that everyone in the human population that doesn't suffer from a Leptin deficiency is more susceptible to a particularly fatal external stimulus.

Not really flawed in my opinion, just common sense genetics.

Yes and no.

You are quite right; genetics is the basis for different people's types of metabolism/energy conversion/development of fat etc etc

But like I said - in your theory only those with a genetic basis for being fat would be selected for.

Not the fatties we are arguing about - those who are fat because they just love burgers.

In addition - I doubt those with a genetic basis for beiong fat would have much of a selective advantage anyway due to the inefficient nature of their digestion - they would store food as fat rather than utilise it properly.

Yes and no.

You are quite right; genetics is the basis for different people's types of metabolism/energy conversion/development of fat etc etc

But like I said - in your theory only those with a genetic basis for being fat would be selected for.

Not the fatties we are arguing about - those who are fat because they just love burgers.

In addition - I doubt those with a genetic basis for beiong fat would have much of a selective advantage anyway due to the inefficient nature of their digestion - they would store food as fat rather than utilise it properly.

You're missing the point a little.

The people that you are talking about may (or may not) have a genetic disposition toward an overly large appetite which is not their fault.

Did you read my example? Their digestion process wouldn't matter in respect to certain situations. How they store fat in the example i gave is not important. Why don't you see skinny hippos? Why do whales have large amounts of blubber? I'm sure in both those cases natural selection has developed those species with those as desirable traits both socially and environmentally. Humans are animals and we're not exempt from the same selection processes as the other fauna on this planet.

You're taking a rather blinkered view of evolution, natural selection and science in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

You're missing the point a little.

The people that you are talking about may (or may not) have a genetic disposition toward an overly large appetite which is not their fault.

Did you read my example? Their digestion process wouldn't matter in respect to certain situations. How they store fat in the example i gave is not important. Why don't you see skinny hippos? Why do whales have large amounts of blubber? I'm sure in both those cases natural selection has developed those species with those as desirable traits both socially and environmentally. Humans are animals and we're not exempt from the same selection processes as the other fauna on this planet.

You're taking a rather blinkered view of evolution, natural selection and science in my opinion.

Diverting slightly from "fat people" here: a lot of species of female animals reproduce only with the alpha male of the group. The dominant male obviously being the biggest or strongest in the pack, where being massive obviously helps when it comes to fighting or intimidating other males. Generally humans don't work this way. However, union st on a saturday night suggests otherwise....

Also, a lot of animals store fat to deal with the cold climates, or because they have to store food for the winter when they hibernate or when food is scarce. Bears get really fat, for example, but after they hibernate they come out looking like something you keep your slippers in. People, on the other hand, have houses with central heating and pizza hut on speed dial all year round.

But I think it is unfair to compare humans to the full spectrum of species within the animal kingdom. If we're making comparison with hippos and whales, we should make comparisons with ants and bats. I've never seen a really fat ant for example. Or a human with wings and supersonic hearing.

Chimpanzees, the closest thing genetically to humans would be a little fairer for comparison. And having watched pretty much every David Attenborough programme and never seen a morbidly obese chimp, I can only conclude that either; the closest animals to humans don't view mega-fatness as sexy/useful, OR David Attenborough fucking hates fat chimps and won't give them so much as a cameo. The fat-ist bastard.

Diverting slightly from "fat people" here: a lot of species of female animals reproduce only with the alpha male of the group. The dominant male obviously being the biggest or strongest in the pack, where being massive obviously helps when it comes to fighting or intimidating other males. Generally humans don't work this way. However, union st on a saturday night suggests otherwise....

Also, a lot of animals store fat to deal with the cold climates, or because they have to store food for the winter when they hibernate or when food is scarce. Bears get really fat, for example, but after they hibernate they come out looking like something you keep your slippers in. People, on the other hand, have houses with central heating and pizza hut on speed dial all year round.

But I think it is unfair to compare humans to the full spectrum of species within the animal kingdom. If we're making comparison with hippos and whales, we should make comparisons with ants and bats. I've never seen a really fat ant for example. Or a human with wings and supersonic hearing.

Chimpanzees, the closest thing genetically to humans would be a little fairer for comparison. And having watched pretty much every David Attenborough programme and never seen a morbidly obese chimp, I can only conclude that either; the closest animals to humans don't view mega-fatness as sexy/useful, OR David Attenborough fucking hates fat chimps and won't give them so much as a cameo. The fat-ist bastard.

Human's in a much earlier form did operate in the manner you were describing but at our present evolutionary state we don't necessarily need that particular trait as others are just as desirable. That might not always be the case though. Having said that, that sort of natural behaviour is still prevalent in some cultures just now.

Human's might not always have what they have now. It's not a given that we'll always be blessed with the things that we have in abundance at this particular time so it's wrong to say that just because we've got warm homes now that we'll never need to be fat in a natural way.

Who's to say that ants won't ever get fatter due to natural selection. Ant's aren't required to be fat at the moment but it doesn't mean that they never will be. You can't categorically say that there will never be a human with wings or supersonic hearing. If either of those things occurred naturally which they could do via natural genetic mutation (obviously it's not the sort of thing that is going to occur overnight) they may lend an evolutionary advantage and we may over time become a redundant sub-standard version of our species or a piece in our evolutionary map like Homo Erectus is in ours.

The chimp thing is an obvious one in itself.

There's a tendency for genes to be used an easy excuse though. Lifestyle choices are still a massive factor. Genes alone can't be blamed for such a massive increase in recent history.

No there isn't. If a person has asthma because of genetics, it's not their fault they have asthma.

It doesn't mean that people can't adapt their lifestyles to be healthier though, it just means that for some people it is potentially harder to compensate for it due to the way their bodies work and they shouldn't be made to feel bad for that.

At the end of the day fat people whether morbidly obese or just chubby shouldn't be mocked for that by people who don't expect their comments to be taken to task. Nobody is perfect, we all have foibles that could be picked apart by anyone. There's jokes and then there's being hurtful and unfortunately this thread started out with the intent to be hurtful. I would've thought that the majority of users of this site would have been capable of leaving playground bullying back in the playground due to their age and life experience and we're supposed to live in a more tolerant social climate these days as well.

I can take a joke with the best and i dish out a fair amount of crap myself but if i genuinely offend someone i feel bad about it. I'm not sure that could be said about some of the people that have made less than worthwhile contributions to this thread desperately seeking kudos for the next overly contrived "funny" that they post.

a few points.

I think the evolution/genetics debate is a side argument, and I'm not sure that we are on the same wave-length. As an avid Dawkins reader and having studied evolution im fairly certain my argument made sense. Maybe no - lets put that debate to bed.

As for being mean to overweight people - its not nice to be mean to overweight people; true.

But being disgusted by those with gunts is only natural.