aberdeen-music

fat people

ben_1903

Addiction to cake and allergy to exercise are not disabilities.

Boys... to your rascals!

but Arthritis & Emphysema are. Along with prescribed steroids and the just plain NEED for food... of which, very little is actually consumed.

A person very close to me fits your sterotype in appearance... my list grows longer. :swearing:

Steriotypical, but a lot of fat people really are just miserable, rude bastards. don't blame us, we didn't make you eat all those fucking pies.

Santa? Brian Blessed? Matthew Horne (or whatever the fat one is out of those two)?

Even if they are a fair bit unhealthy, it's not really directly affecting anyone else is it?

It does, though. I'm not being hypocrtical- I'm a smoker- but it's fact lots of NHS money is used helping fatties who chose to spend their life chowing down on shitty food and are now riddled with various ailments.

It does, though. I'm not being hypocrtical- I'm a smoker- but it's fact lots of NHS money is used helping fatties who chose to spend their life chowing down on shitty food and are now riddled with various ailments.

At least the cost of smoking (and drinking) to society is priced into the products via high duty tax. I saw some headline last week along the lines of 'smokers cost public billions' and it made me a little angry.

but Arthritis & Emphysema are. Along with prescribed steroids and the just plain NEED for food... of which, very little is actually consumed.

A person very close to me fits your sterotype in appearance... my list grows longer. :swearing:

I never said Arthritis & Emphysema weren't disabilties. There are a lot of unfortunate reasons why I'm sure a lot of people get overweight, but the fact remains that the majority of fat people are either greedy, lazy, have awful diets, or most likely a winning combo of all three.

If I eat too much, I put on weight/fat, and I then decide to do something about it. Happens every christmas/summer holiday.

I can understand how very simple it is to get overweight...

But we're not talking 'a little chubby' here. We're talking about people who are 25 stone, and didn't have the mental capacity when they were, say, 20 stone to go; "My fingers looks like legs, my legs look like a half-deflated bouncy castle and now my ears and hair are getting fat... I should probably do something about it."

you beat me to it.

Obviously you can't tar everyone with the same brush, and there are a very small proportion of people who are genuinely fat due to medical reasons, but when you see the likes of Michelle Mcmanus telling that poo gazer she eats 10 packets of crisps a day it's hard not to. Obesity is a major problem and a lot of it is due to bad education on healthy lifestyles but a lot of it is down to pure greed and laziness.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of a full figure, I think people on here aren't having a go at that. It's more the morbidly obese behemoths that are sucking money out of the public kitty with their various problems.

But this thread isn't about the strain they have on the NHS. This thread is about people thinking they are gross or whatever. It's easy for everyone to stick their oar in about how grim fatties are and how they should be "put down", but I think its very unlikely anyone who has stuck their oar in is going to relay this to the face of a fat person anytime soon. It's all very much a cowardly attempt to be contraversial. That isn't aimed at yourself either. Just everyone else barring a few.

But this thread isn't about the strain they have on the NHS. This thread is about people thinking they are gross or whatever. It's easy for everyone to stick their oar in about how grim fatties are and how they should be "put down", but I think its very unlikely anyone who has stuck their oar in is going to relay this to the face of a fat person anytime soon. It's all very much a cowardly attempt to be contraversial. That isn't aimed at yourself either. Just everyone else barring a few.

Yeah but you were the one who said "They don't harm anyone else"?

I live in a family full of fat people and I tell them everything I've said on this site. Though I realise that wasn't directed at me.

Do you not think it is better a few meaningless internet comments are made and let us have a bit of a moan and amusement rather than just being miserable and PC.

Although I hate the term PC, I agree with you completely.

Internet discussion isn't real life. I'm sure the person who said fat people should be put down doesn't actually wish death upon someone for being overweight. If that was the case, the pet hates thread would cause a speight of murders for loud chewing or bad parking.

I don't think people are making these japes and jibes towards fatties in order to be controversial, it's more an exaggerated, humourous representation of what they actually feel.

I admit that I have personally felt disgusted on more than one occasion by an extremely overweight person. I'm not proud of that but it was my natural reaction at the time. Sitting next to a sweaty, smelly fat person eating crisps on a hot summers day on the bus is not a pleasurable experience. I would never personally insult this person or want to cause them any embarrasment but i reserve the right to poke fun at the society/culture that allows a person to get to such a size. Weren't no fatties in the 18th century, ain't no fatties in, i dunno... Costa Rica or anywhere where they don't have two aisles of ready meals at the entrance of every supermarket.

• Upvote 1

Although I hate the term PC, I agree with you completely.

Internet discussion isn't real life. I'm sure the person who said fat people should be put down doesn't actually wish death upon someone for being overweight. If that was the case, the pet hates thread would cause a speight of murders for loud chewing or bad parking.

I don't think people are making these japes and jibes towards fatties in order to be controversial, it's more an exaggerated, humourous representation of what they actually feel.

I admit that I have personally felt disgusted on more than one occasion by an extremely overweight person. I'm not proud of that but it was my natural reaction at the time. Sitting next to a sweaty, smelly fat person eating crisps on a hot summers day on the bus is not a pleasurable experience. I would never personally insult this person or want to cause them any embarrasment but i reserve the right to poke fun at the society/culture that allows a person to get to such a size. Weren't no fatties in the 18th century, ain't no fatties in, i dunno... Costa Rica or anywhere where they don't have two aisles of ready meals at the entrance of every supermarket.

I wonder what vehement responses i'd get if i posted a thread about my hatred of black people or homosexuals (not that i actually do of course, just for comedic effect).

Can't have one rule for one thing and another rule for another. Prejudice is prejudice, no questions and you can't bleat on about one and ignore the other.

Some of the things said in this thread are ludicrously stupid and without question could have a detrimental effect on how people perceive this site (I'm very surprised the moderators haven't shut down this thread already).

Lots of things can cause people to over eat or become overweight so it's not as simple as just stereotyping fat people as lazy and horrible.

I'm not PC by any means but this thread pushes the limits of taste.

Most of you should know better. Grow up.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what vehement responses i'd get if i posted a thread about my hatred of black people or homosexuals (not that i actually do of course, just for comedic effect).

Can't have one rule for one thing and another rule for another. Prejudice is prejudice, no questions and you can't bleat on about one and ignore the other.

Have to agree on this, chimp. Pretty sure the same folk posting these anti-fat cracks would be down on you like a ton of hot horse-shit if you were to rant about "coons" or "poofs". Aye, as a species we're beyond fucked...

The size of a person is irrelevant. Some of the cleverest, funniest people I've ever met in my life have been a bit on the hefty side. If someone's comfortable in their own skin, doesn't matter what shape you're in.

Mind you, wouldn't want to balloon up myself and it's the reason I won't give up smoking. I'll take my chances, thanks.

:up:

Some of the things said in this thread are ludicrously stupid and without question could have a detrimental effect on how people perceive this site (I'm very surprised the moderators haven't shut down this thread already).

Lots of things can cause people to over eat or become overweight so it's not as simple as just stereotyping fat people as lazy and horrible.

highhorse.jpg

HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR FROM UP THERE? I WAS JUST GOING TO SAY THAT IT'S JUST THE INTERNETS, CHILL OUT. WE'RE JUST A BUNCH OF NOBS ON COMPUTERS.

• Upvote 1

I thought your taste(buds) knew no limits :laughing:

It's a bit of a laugh, to me anyway, and I agree with what ca_gere said. I don't hate fat people at all. As for black and gay people, they can't help that.

Remember - offence is entirely subjective :up:

It doesn't matter if "it's just the internet" or not. This misconception that the internet is exempt from the consequences of real life is a heap of fucking shite. This thread is the worst one for ages, and it epitomises the level of idiotic children populating this place right now.

Agreed. I can't believe people still try to pull that one.

I'm not on any sort of high horse here at all either, i'm just fed up of peoples bullshit and the whole i can say whatever i like cause it's just the internet. Words hurt.

Am I alone in thinking that you can't compare sexuality and ethnicity with weight? Where are the bbc three programs dedicated to advising you on how to be not gay or how to lose your immigrant heritage?

You are right, there are a number of reasons as to why people are overweight. But, I'd argue the main one is... um... a lack of exercise and a bad diet perhaps. Prejudice against an unhealthy culture in which kids are given turkey twizzlers and chips and plumped in front of a playstation is actually beneficial to society. It should be viewed as wrong to be unhealthy in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Am I alone in thinking that you can't compare sexuality and ethnicity with weight? Where are the bbc three programs dedicated to advising you on how to be not gay or how to lose your immigrant heritage?

You are right, there are a number of reasons as to why people are overweight. But, I'd argue the main one is... um... a lack of exercise and a bad diet perhaps. Prejudice against an unhealthy culture in which kids are given turkey twizzlers and chips and plumped in front of a playstation is actually beneficial to society. It should be viewed as wrong to be unhealthy in my opinion.

I'm not unhealthy.

It doesn't matter if "it's just the internet" or not. This misconception that the internet is exempt from the consequences of real life is a heap of fucking shite. This thread is the worst one for ages, and it epitomises the level of idiotic children populating this place right now.

That's not the point I was trying to make at all. A racist is a racist whether he posts on the internet or not. I was more referring to the fact that an internet thread is a text (and occasionally image) based form of communicating. Senses of irony, sarcasm, social context and other nuances present in real life spoken language are frequently lost and what is a joke to one peron may appear to be an insult to another.

I agree though, this isn't a great thread. But, people taking the moral high ground is just as annoying as an out and out insult.

I'm not having a go at you. For the record, I enjoy your posts and find your discussion to be largely relevant and interesting