aberdeen-music

fat people

ben_1903

It wasn't a joke or supposed to be ironic or controversial it was plain speech and fair enough i could've used obese or fat but i felt that it was required to prove a point.

The fact is that this thread comes across terribly and the people involved can try and justify their prejudice as much as they like but they'll still come out of it looking stupid

It wasn't a joke or supposed to be ironic or controversial it was plain speech and fair enough i could've used obese or fat but i felt that it was required to prove a point.

The fact is that this thread comes across terribly and the people involved can try and justify their prejudice as much as they like but they'll still come out of it looking stupid

Well I'm not prejudiced against fat people. They have equal rights and I would never treat them any differently because of their size, other than in a "my mate fancies you, what do you think?" style situation. If they asked my advice on their weight I would tell them to excercise more and eat less calories. You never know, if I got to know them very well I may even admit to some flippant comments I made about obesity on the internet.

It's not a good thread but I see we're both 28 years old so to argue the toss further may make us both look stupid(er) ;)

Gordon Bennet - I opened a massove can of worms here.

I started this thread having been recently disgusted by a woman who basically wore a giant tent on the megabus.

If someone has an illness - fair enough.

If someone is still fit but has a belly - fair enough.

I have nothing against overweight people

All im saying is big fuck off fatties who are actually HUGE. are disgusting, and ought to be sent to the moon. Fair enough yeah?

• Upvote 1

I wonder what vehement responses i'd get if i posted a thread about my hatred of black people or homosexuals (not that i actually do of course, just for comedic effect).

I'd have fucking laughed my pants off and spunked rep points all over your face. But promise me you hate the jippos and working class as well :D

I jest.

I don't think you can really compare fat people to black/disabled/ginger/gay people, because being fat is something the majority of people can easily rectify and is something you're not born with. Whereas unless you're the king of pop you can't do anything about the colour of your skin. But I see that point has already been made.

Trying to put this in a more serious direction... you don't see many old fat people, I'd like to think that people would do something about their weight so that they may live to see their kids 21st birthday.

No. Maybe fat people find your propensity for wearing ben sherman shirts offensive and think you're an oily little ned. Be a little more tolerant. Live and let live.

I can just see it now... on www.imaddictedtocake.com, a bunch of fat people on a forum saying how ben is an oily little ned and should be sent to the moon.

Of course their insults would read something like; "Befemn issa anbn oilklky tlkiuytytlke njmdf5ercfd", unless they own special dialling wands to circumvent having sausage fingers.

When i see a supermassive fat mess i feel annoyance also then a little bit of guilt because i know i really shouldn't be angry at them.

But the first emotion i feel is pity, i feel desperately sorry for this behemoth, struggling down the street, pulling air through squashed lungs and blood through gungy arteries. It must be like walking home with 6 shopping bags under the sea.

Then this becomes annoyance i think due to the fact that i employ effort every day to stay as healthy as i can and this person appears to be a lazy bas. And then if they smell aswell..... :swearing: smelliness is definately laziness!

Also, i don't suffer fools gladly and i see obesity (excluding disorders) as stupidity. It's not hard to work out how to get thin, the hard part is will power right? But when you see a fat, one of the ones that looks really tired and sad, ordering a pie or a Macdonalds does logic not kick in at that point? I am convinced that one cannnot be obese and entirely happy. Some may appear and tell you they are happy but their health (and appearance) must seriously affect their mental state.

Choice is good. Choosing to damage your health is bad... and annoying to others in the end.

I wonder what vehement responses i'd get if i posted a thread about my hatred of black people or homosexuals (not that i actually do of course, just for comedic effect).

Can't have one rule for one thing and another rule for another. Prejudice is prejudice, no questions and you can't bleat on about one and ignore the other.

The colour of your skin or sexuality isn't a choice, but a lot of fat people are fat through their own actions.

Just the same with people who obviously don't wash and stink of BO, it's got nothing to do with their personality. The first impressions repulse you for health reasons; the sweating, huffing and puffing, walking awkwardly etc...

The colour of your skin or sexuality isn't a choice, but a lot of fat people are fat through their own actions.

Just the same with people who obviously don't wash and stink of BO, it's got nothing to do with their personality. The first impressions repulse you for health reasons; the sweating, huffing and puffing, walking awkwardly etc...

For want of a better phrase it's not always as black and white as that. Depression, genetics, culture, illness, disabilty etc can all be factors that affect peoples weight. I'm assuming that most people on here aren't stupid or naive. Yes, there are people who are just lazy and should really get more exercise but it's not always as clear cut as that.

Prejudice is still prejudice though. If everyone learned to be a little more tolerant of each other then there wouldn't be a problem regardless of what the motive behind it is (ethnicity, disability etc).

Don't you feel that the more tolerant you are though, the more people expect from you? If you start feeling that being that size is acceptable then the "average size" will just keep creeping up, as previously mentioned.

Also, isn't viewing obeseity as being repulsive something we can't help? I'm sure in my psychology notes it mentioned something along those lines.

I'm sure anyoneone from here that has known me at least a few years will agree that i was a fat fuck back then. It wasn't easy but over the last few years i've managed to lose 5 stone through excersise and healthy foods, and i feel much better because of it. now all i gotta do is kick the nasty smoking habbit. :up:

Don't you feel that the more tolerant you are though, the more people expect from you? If you start feeling that being that size is acceptable then the "average size" will just keep creeping up, as previously mentioned.

Also, isn't viewing obeseity as being repulsive something we can't help? I'm sure in my psychology notes it mentioned something along those lines.

There's a difference between tolerance and ignoring the issues at hand though.

By the same token some people find black people repulsive or not as attractive. I don't generally find black women attractive in the same way that i don't generally find fat women attractive. Like i said, it's not always clear cut.

I must say I agree with Alkaline.....

What a set of ignorant/intolerant twats SOME of you are!!!!

I was jumped on from a great height for making a small mistake in a post a good few months back....and some folk on here have never let me forget it....

This is double standards of the worst degree.....

So, you don't like fatties eh....

who's next ??? Skinny Folk, People with freckles, Gingers, Spotty, Gay, Black, Baldies, The Old, Disabled?......

I personally hate the very healthy & fit.....

slow down, you make us all look bad, you fuckers !!! (Joke)

:up:

Well last year I got put on new medication (Tegretol) and it makes you put on weight really easily, my doctor warned me that I may put on a few pounds...

She didn't warn me that if I didn't eat every 2 hours I'd be doubled over with stomach pains, and I put on a stone. I ate healthily, worked out almost every night and monitored my weight. I persevered, and some of it came off finally.

Thankfully I'm on different medication and back to normal now, so I can understand how those factors can affect you but eating more doesn't help. Although it's sometimes outwith your control, I do know people who just can't be bothered who have been told how medication or a condition will affect them and they honestly don't care, but always complain about being out of breath and none of their clothes fitting them.

That annoys the hell out of me.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

I openly admit that I hold a prejudice against people who are obese through their own laziness, stupidity, etc.

I agree with Alkaline that it isn't as clear cut as some have painted the picture, and depression in particular is something that has a massive impact on this.

But, obesity is something that's been getting gradually worse over the past couple of decades. I remember when I was at school, there would be one token fat kid in the class. When I look at kids now, loads of them are overweight (obviously, you can't hold a prejudice against the kids - it's clearly the parents' fault if their kid is overweight, excepting illness/disability of course).

We live in a ridiculously fat nation, and it disgusts me (and I don't mean from a purely aesthetic point of view). People are so greedy and unhealthy. I like my food, don't get me wrong. I love a chinese takeaway or a cheeseburger and chips, but only now and again, because I know if I eat that shit all the time I'll get fat and die of a heart attack before I'm 40.

EDIT: And for the record, Alkaline is not fat, or wasn't the last time I saw him anyway.

I'm not slim or particularly healthy these days either but :

15 - 20 years ago we didn't have 24 hrs TV, Satellite TV, X Boxes, Nintendos, Computers..... etc, etc... WE went out to play !

I think thats why kids are generally putting on more weight these days....stuck in the house in front of computers.... (just like us!)

Guest Gladstone
I'm not slim or particularly healthy these days either but :

15 - 20 years ago we didn't have 24 hrs TV, Satellite TV, X Boxes, Nintendos, Computers..... etc, etc... WE went out to play !

I think thats why kids are generally putting on more weight these days....stuck in the house in front of computers.... (just like us!)

Yup. Doesn't make it any more acceptable though.

Watching TV/playing computers all the time doesn't lessen the chance of a heart attack/stroke.

If/when I have kids, the little bastards won't be fat. They'll be outside playing, and won't get fed turkey twizzlers. It's really not that difficult.

Lazy parents put their kids in front of a TV/computer ALL the time to save having to go out and play with them. Fine now and again (like having a burger and chips), but not ALL the time.

If we keep going the way we are, everyone will start getting laid up in hospital in their 30s, and nobody will ever see their kids growing up (/out).

Our culture needs to change, and it needs to change now.

• Upvote 2

Yup. Doesn't make it any more acceptable though.

Watching TV/playing computers all the time doesn't lessen the chance of a heart attack/stroke.

If/when I have kids, the little bastards won't be fat. They'll be outside playing, and won't get fed turkey twizzlers. It's really not that difficult.

Lazy parents put their kids in front of a TV/computer ALL the time to save having to go out and play with them. Fine now and again (like having a burger and chips), but not ALL the time.

If we keep going the way we are, everyone will start getting laid up in hospital in their 30s, and nobody will ever see their kids growing up (/out).

Our culture needs to change, and it needs to change now.

Hear, Hear, you nailed it !

I agree completely.....

If you break down it down to the lowest common denominator, the point of animal existance is to procreate.

How do you traditionally procreate? Dick in fanny, cum - of course. But beyond the literal mechanics of reproduction...:

a) by actually being alive for long enough to do so. (Not suffering a fried-breakfast-between-snacks induced heart attack at the age of 32 helps here)

b) by being attractive to the opposite sex.

c) by being physically able to fit your genetalia in someone else's without wheelbarrow loads of guts getting in the way.

People who have become morbidly obese due to their own doing* are not doing themselves any favours in any of those categories. If I choose to cut my dick off, I wouldn't expect any sympathy.

*we are not talking about every fat person here. This isn't the grey-area large people. I'm talking about the black and white 'you eat fish suppers for breakfast and lunch, and drive to the shops that are only a 2-minute walk away' types.

Anyone who has weight problems for any medical condition or such like genuinely has my full sympathy.

Furthermore, if the people who made themselves massive due to their own laziness and greed didn't exist, then there would be a lot more sympathy, resources and awareness to help and not judge so harshly those that have serious weight issues from medical reasons etc.