aberdeen-music

I need 78rpm records!

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

I've just been given an antique gramophone as a wedding present, which is still in great working order and it plays 78rpm records.

Where can I buy such records? I'm assuming the Cavern is a good start?

I've never bought a record in my life cos I've never had a record player, so any nods in the right direction much appreciated!

I'll buy unwanted records from anyone on here too. Just want some cool records to play on our amazing gramophone!

Cheers :up:

Guest Gladstone
I have a box of 78's, which I " Inherited", when my dad died. From memory, there are various "Pop" things of the day, & some "Scottish" things.

Call me if Interested, although, I would need to retreive them from the attic at sometime.

07760 118161.

Am interested.

When you say "pop" things of the day - can you give an indication of what sort of thing you mean? As in what era? 60s?

Not so interested in the "Scottish" things as I think we're getting quite a few traditional type things from various people already - but doesn't mean I'm not interested at all - quite like the idea of jigging round our new house....!

Wouldn't want to waste your time digging it all out though - so if you can give a slightly better indication of what's in your box before going to the effort of digging it out etc, that would be cool.

Also - what sort of money you looking for?

(Cheers Frosty, shall check em oot)

Am interested.

When you say "pop" things of the day - can you give an indication of what sort of thing you mean? As in what era? 60s?

Not so interested in the "Scottish" things as I think we're getting quite a few traditional type things from various people already - but doesn't mean I'm not interested at all - quite like the idea of jigging round our new house....!

Wouldn't want to waste your time digging it all out though - so if you can give a slightly better indication of what's in your box before going to the effort of digging it out etc, that would be cool.

Also - what sort of money you looking for?

(Cheers Frosty, shall check em oot)

From my "vauge" memory, there are 50's & 60's things, some Elvis, Teenager in Love, Slim Whitman,Etc.

I'd really need to look.

Guest Gladstone
From my "vauge" memory, there are 50's & 60's things, some Elvis, Teenager in Love, Slim Whitman,Etc.

I'd really need to look.

Sounds good - I'm still defo interested :up:

Guest Gladstone
78s are usually hard and made out of shellac and are hard to the touch but brittle. They are usually only 10" and 12" as well.

Will it say anything on the sleeve? I had a very swift browse in One Up today, and picked up a couple of limited edition Radiohead sleeves (obviously no record inside the sleeve as that would be behind the counter) - there appeared to be no indication on the sleeve as to what format it would be. I didn't have much time as was on lunch and didn't bother asking (also thought I'd look a complete dick...)

Do Bruce Millers have a vinyl section that would sell any 78s?

Will it say anything on the sleeve? I had a very swift browse in One Up today, and picked up a couple of limited edition Radiohead sleeves (obviously no record inside the sleeve as that would be behind the counter) - there appeared to be no indication on the sleeve as to what format it would be. I didn't have much time as was on lunch and didn't bother asking (also thought I'd look a complete dick...)

?(?(?(

There are very very few 78s made these days, I think the uk stopped production in 1961-62 & i think India was one of the last in early '70s

The speed, if shown at all, will be in the centre bit of the record with tracks/label/etc. You'd just have to work it out if nothing is printed.

Bruce Millar's don't sell records, only One-Up and The Cavern, to my knowledge, sell vinyl in town. Both tend to be rather expensive.

As Free Tibet said, next to nothing gets produced at 78rpm anymore.

Nope, we don't sell Vinyl at all. As other people have said you'll struggle to get anything new on 78 as they don't make them on a wide scale at all these days. There may be some companies that churn them out but it'll be obscure shit. I'm sure we have a 78 cutting machine and blanks up in the store room actually (unless it got damaged or chucked out).

Car boot sales, charity shops, auction houses and the such-like will be your best bet. I'm not sure that One-Up would have any 78s at all, the Cavern might but it's a long shot.

Guest Gladstone
The speed, if shown at all, will be in the centre bit of the record with tracks/label/etc. You'd just have to work it out if nothing is printed.

Bruce Millar's don't sell records, only One-Up and The Cavern, to my knowledge, sell vinyl in town. Both tend to be rather expensive.

As Free Tibet said, next to nothing gets produced at 78rpm anymore.

I thought that was the case (through googling etc), but as I said above, I have zero clue about record formats etc as I've never had a record player before! Just cassettes and CDs...

But it's safe to say that those limited edition Radiohead albums are definitely NOT 78s? :(

I have a bid in on a couple of 60s records on ebay though :)

I thought that was the case (through googling etc), but as I said above, I have zero clue about record formats etc as I've never had a record player before! Just cassettes and CDs...

But it's safe to say that those limited edition Radiohead albums are definitely NOT 78s? :(

I have a bid in on a couple of 60s records on ebay though :)

Those Radiohead 12"s (the re-issued singles, aye?) will most likely be 33rpm, or depending on the number of tracks per side, 45rpm. In Rainbows was 45rpm but was three tracks per side on 10"s in the boxset thing, so god knows. They won't be 78rpm though.

Depending on what kind of stuff you're into, there are various websites that might help.

Dead Format - Vinyl News, Pressing Information, Tradelists, Message Board - Dead Format - offers pressing info, tradelists, sales forums, etc

STAYING TRUE TIL OOP - simliar kinda thing, perhaps more message board based

Vinyl Collective - more of a store than a source of information, might have pressing info

As I said, depends on what you're into. With regards eBay:

popsike.com - rare vinyl records auction results / price guide - record collector - allows you to search for records and see how much they're going for on ebay. I've never used it but heard good things. :)

Free Tibet......Ohhhhh yesssss!!!!!! A Ltd edition Matricarians 78 would sell well, I'm sure.

I've a reasonable collection of rock'n'roll and jazz/blues 78s (and a few local folk things too), but I wouldn't sell them. I picked most of them up from charity shops. (The Red Cross in Rosemount had some recently.....they might still be there). I've also got a worryingly large collection of old gramophone needle tins, some with needles, so if you need some needles I'll give you some free.

Bernardos on George Street has quite a hefty record section including a stack of old 78's at the bottom. Does your gramophone not have a speed switch? The one we have switches between 78 and 45rpm. We've got a few old 78's and 45's but I've no idea what they are. We inherited it from the other half's grandparents. It's from the 30's I'm led to believe.