aberdeen-music

Rude Aberdonians

Guest droid

I think the rudiest people i've met in Aberdeen are old pensioners.

Amen Jesus. There are some right nasty old people nocking about. The other day me other half was in a shop with her philipino auntie, the auntie was returning a faulty item and complaining about it to the shop assistant. Some old biddy took it upon herself to tell my gf (Coz she's white and didn't appear to be 'with' her) that "they should send them all back" She was so shocked she couldn't spit out a reply and before she launched into a rant the auntie dragged her out the shop and explained that her experience has taught her just to ignore this kind of thing as she'd go mad if she didn't.

I can understand and accept the old colonial stereotypes and views still lingering in old people, like the army major in Fawlty Towers, but when it comes out as pure hate or spite it's a different thing entirely. Unfortunately Aberdeen is particularly bad for this.

That said, I find people in Aberdeen generally pretty nice and friendly. People in cities in the rest of Europe are a lot worse. Manners virtually don't exist on the continent. Nobody queues, its a free for all. And, the notion of holding doors open and other general pleasantries don't seem to be instilled in people.

I think the rudiest people i've met in Aberdeen are old pensioners.

I agree with you, Lord!! Whether they're barging in front of me in queues, or smoking in my face at the bus stop, they suck.

You'd think they'd feel a sense of urgency in improving their attitude since they will soon be facing Your divine judgement!!

I find Edinburgh to be full of much ruder people. Bus stops involve no queueing etiquette. Holding a door open is a thankless task that is also never returned. Seem to get barged into heaps of times by snobbish looking students and just general cunters. I have much dislike for that place and would happily never go back.

I was in that potters row place (Edinburgh union) a few months ago apart from the fact that it was absolutely shite the folk in there were the rudest motherfuckers iIve ever had the displeasure of being around.

As for Aberdeen, I've never really noticed a problem.

I held a door for a wifie with a pushchair in the Trinity Centre, but i was clearly only doing the "hold it till they get there" thingy. I got a right barrage of abuse when I let go of the door and it swung straight into the buggy.

Thatcher's Britain. :rolleyes:

Maybe you shouldn't have been rude and let the door swing into the buggy? Like breeds like...;)

Lets not mistake rudeness for complete ignorance. Many very very ignorant people in Aberdeen to stupid to even know they are being rude.

Also people with buggys who think its okay to clearly try and run people over with the buggy. Oh sorry i'll walk even faster should i? When theres a damned old person going dirt slow in front of me.

Grrr buggys...why do people always put them half way across the road when crossing...if it got hit by a car there's no doubt where the blame would be lying

I agree with you, Lord!! Whether they're barging in front of me in queues, or smoking in my face at the bus stop, they suck.

You'd think they'd feel a sense of urgency in improving their attitude since they will soon be facing Your divine judgement!!

I would be a moany faced pensioner if i was still in Aberdeen I reckon ha ha ha I'm in Aberdeen......Get me outta here

Grrr buggys...why do people always put them half way across the road when crossing...if it got hit by a car there's no doubt where the blame would be lying

Buggy's + several children on buses too. There's no way I'd even consider raising one child, nevermind several children, without being able to drive. It's just a nightmare, and causes a nightmare for everyone else on the bus. Thankfully, I rarely take the bus these days.

Maybe you shouldn't have been rude and let the door swing into the buggy? Like breeds like...;)

Aye, well obviously I didn't intend to hit the buggy, the mother of the woman pushing the buggy put her hand out to the door so I guess I just assumed that she was taking it from me as you would normally do, seems she was just offering moral support or something. ?(

...and people who stop and have a full blown conversation in the middle of the pavement ?(

Notably in the middle of Union St or the St Nick's centre, when it is busy. Then you walk into them because they have stopped so suddenly and get shouted at. Or if they are old you get the generic "young people today" rant.

I remember once an old biddy gave me shit for letting her on a bus before me. Still don't understand to this day what her reasoning was.

The automatic doors at Morissons are the worst. I mean, those doors suck anyway but there are regular fooljams. Humanity has not yet evolved to the level where it's possible to fiddle with your handbag or mobile while travelling at a normal well-guided speed.

Notably in the middle of Union St or the St Nick's centre, when it is busy. Then you walk into them because they have stopped so suddenly and get shouted at. Or if they are old you get the generic "young people today" rant.

I remember once an old biddy gave me shit for letting her on a bus before me. Still don't understand to this day what her reasoning was.

I stumbled over a woman on Union St when she suddenly stopped and bent down to pick up a bloody penny! Stupid bint!

I've always found Aberdeen quite good for manners. I'd say I have about a 90% "thank you" rate when I hold doors for people ?(

As for blanking people, maybe people are just shy or anxious. I'm pretty shy and usually spend a second or two wondering whether a person would expect a hello, or whether they even remember me etc, then by the time I have a pathetic wee argument with myself they're past and I'm left wondering what the hell is wrong with me and thinking I should have just smiled and said hello. Every bloody time, I never learn.

• Upvote 1

Guest droid
Especially the arseholes who use the "we fought in the war" line.

I usually ask "what war?".

Iv'e never heard that one....did you read that in a magazine or an Oor Willie book??(