aberdeen-music

Weird goings on in town today...?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I'm trying not to sound insensitive here, but I really think that chucking a net under the bridge is not the right answer. If someone is really that driven to commit suicide, they'll find a way even if the Union Bridge option is unavailable. Should we put nets underneath the likes of the Forth Road Bridge as well?

I'd much rather see money going toward organisations that provide support to those suffering from depression.

I'm trying not to sound insensitive here, but I really think that chucking a net under the bridge is not the right answer. If someone is really that driven to commit suicide, they'll find a way even if the Union Bridge option is unavailable. Should we put nets underneath the likes of the Forth Road Bridge as well?

I'd much rather see money going toward organisations that provide support to those suffering from depression.

I can't imagine putting barriers or nets up would break the bank. Well, maybe Aberdeen Council's budget remainder.. but still. I suppose an obvious flaw to this option is that it'll just drive the problem somewhere else, like one of the multi-storey car parks. That said, at least there won't be so many cunts around to film jumpers.

I'm trying not to sound insensitive here, but I really think that chucking a net under the bridge is not the right answer. If someone is really that driven to commit suicide, they'll find a way even if the Union Bridge option is unavailable.

Exactly, if you've decided to throw a seven you'll find a way to do it regardless. The cliffs at Nigg would be a good spot.

Mind you, I think I've said before that part of the "appeal" of chucking yourself off Union Bridge is the conspicuous nature of it, one last dramatic gesture for your existence to be recognised/validated. It's a horrible thing to subject people to, but if you're that far gone mentally you won't care.

And as for the ghoulish fuckers filming it, that is beyond fucked.

:down:

Yes. Union Bridge is higher.

But it is still not high enough to ensure certain death and the very worst thing is if they don't land square on their heads, a lot of jumpers either end-up dying of horrible compound injuries some considerable time after, or if they survive, are badly disabled by them. :(

Presumably cause the drop is greater as the ground runs down then back up under the shopping centre, plus it's more attention grabbing due to the number of people going about.

If it were me I'd scale Marischal College and dive head first into the tarmac under the carpark entrance or The University Chapel if I were religious.

My mind is quite enigmatic sometimes, if I were to run into a field of sheep shock/horror/panic would get me

I had a quick look at where he jumped this morning on my way to work as I wanted to see if it was likely to be surviveable or not - it was behind the phone boxes, it looks as if it is a smaller drop than over the road/railway and a tree looks like it would be largely in the way at the right hand side of the raised parapet where he was when he went over. I reckon he may have had a Rambo-esque plunge through the tree branches and then deflected over the steeper drop to the rail tracks as that seems to be where he was treated according to the news report. He didn't look to be heading straight over that way so I can't help but wonder if he picked that spot to jump so the tree would break the fall as he didn't intend to actually top himself and it went a bit wrong.I think the shorter drop would have been a sore one but not likely to cause serious damage, it would all depend how he got caught in tree branches and landed I guess.

Does this mean he is likely to be charged with offences due to the amount of disruption he caused?

Does this mean he is likely to be charged with offences due to the amount of disruption he caused?

Suicide and attempted suicide are both illegal, so he could be charged, but his "mental state" will be taken into account. Most likely he will get off with it, despite the trauma he will have cause the emergency services and members of the public. I've spoken to firefighters who have attended "jumpers" and they say it is horrifying to have to deal with.

Suicide and attempted suicide are both illegal, so he could be charged, but his "mental state" will be taken into account. Most likely he will get off with it, despite the trauma he will have cause the emergency services and members of the public. I've spoken to firefighters who have attended "jumpers" and they say it is horrifying to have to deal with.

Actually I don't think it's illegal in Scotland. I could be wrong though.

Edit: according to Wikipedia it's not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_views_of_suicide#Scotland

The news article says someone else has been charged in relation to the incident. Wonder if that was a member of the crowd that crossed the line with regards to their behaviour at the time or something more sinister, like the person that caused him to be depressed enough to jump in the first place.

Guest Gladstone

Suicide/Attempted Suicide is illegal in England, but not Scotland.

Ironically, when the first Suicide Act was enacted, suicide/attempted suicide was punishable by death. Hmmm.

A breach of the peace charge is about the worst a suicide attemptee would get (in Scotland). But I'd take a wild guess that someone trying to kill themselves has mental health problems, and will not land themselves on the end of criminal charges.

The news article says someone else has been charged in relation to the incident. Wonder if that was a member of the crowd that crossed the line with regards to their behaviour at the time or something more sinister, like the person that caused him to be depressed enough to jump in the first place.

I saw a guy being manhandled to the ground and cuffed. He looked like he was trying to get up on the wall as well, I got the impression he may have been an aquaintance trying to get the guy down and got lifted for refusing to co-operate with the police, he looked to be getting a tad aggressive. Of course I'm only supposing as I had no way of hearing any discussion. It makes sense that the police wouldn't want anyone else up there though. They didn't exactly look like they had any idea what to do about the situation, I guess it's a tricky one.

I saw a guy being manhandled to the ground and cuffed. He looked like he was trying to get up on the wall as well, I got the impression he may have been an aquaintance trying to get the guy down and got lifted for refusing to co-operate with the police,

They didn't exactly look like they had any idea what to do about the situation, I guess it's a tricky one.

I think I saw him remonstrating with an officer on the tape - He was clearly trying to get-in closer.

I would imagine situations like this must be high-up in the most difficult things an officer can face? I've no great sympathy with a lot of them in general but I would find it hard to wish having to deal with something like this on anyone.

That's the other reason they should stick a barrier of some kind up. It's not a 100% guaranteed fatal drop. Whether the poor bastard survived or not, I can only assume he wasn't the sharpest knife in the rack, or else he must really hate himself. Try the cliffs. Or get a flight to Switzerland.

Where does it say that in the article ?(

It's there - you've just got to decrypt it. It's in the headline. An anagram of "trains were delayed" is "re: News - it early. Dead."

But then again I did watch all of season 7 24 at the weekend so I could still be in conspiracy mode.