aberdeen-music

Weird goings on in town today...?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Was making some breakfast today when I was interrupted by the sound of a fighter jet flying VERY low overhead. WTF? I have never seen this happen in town. Where's the nearest RAF base, Lossiemouth?

Fast forward a couple of hours, I'm walking down Belmont street and see massive flames and smoke in front of Primark. Squeezed throguh the crowd and there was a car on fire in the middle of union street! It was an old jag mkII and in the end it appeared to be mechanical rather than some terrorist car bomb. Still pretty crazy to see though.

Heard it, shat it, looked out the window and thought it was a wee passenger jet.

But I now suspect this has something to do with it:

City to salute national armed forces

As the parade passing by the city's Town House a salute will be taken by the Lord Provost of Aberdeen Peter Stephen and representatives of the armed forces. At the same time there will be a military fly over by a RAF GR4 Nimrod and MR2 Tornado.

Shame I found out about it now just when all the free stuff is finishing, I'm a sucker for free days out no matter what rubbish it's in aid of.

**edit**

wait! freefall parachute display tomorrow~!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

It had a camo like paint job so I assumed military. It seemed like it was flying 'up' west nth street. Anyone got any info about the burning car?

I heard the jet and it was quite calming having grown up in and around lossie, good times, good times

I did a teaching placement at Lossie High; the regular jet zooooms weren't that fun...

In saying that... the time a jet produced a sonic boom at Elgin Academy was excellent :up:

The car was an old Jag, which had gone up in flames at the crossing in front of Primark.

Impressive column of smoke and leaping flames from the engine, with the poor owner looking very crestfallen. The traffic had come to a standstill, the police were there and the fire brigade were within earshot.

I'm guessing at a fuel pump/pipe leak, combined with already hot metal and the extra heat today. Or an electrical fault. Whoomph!

Was ther a rally or other sort of classic vehicle event on today? Saw a few spotless old bikes and cars on my way into town - Highlights were a Vincent twin and an immaculate Ariel Leader. :)

Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/SEX1i/R1AA Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2141; U; UK) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

weird to think a few of us were there at the exact same time without realising who each other was... saying that' date=' the crowds beside the car were massive. nosey buggers.[/quote']

Well Dianne, Given the concentration of bars & venues in that area & the number of folk involved in some way or other, I would be a tad surprised if there was not at least a couple of members in that area most of the time

In fact, I realised I was was sitting right behind one AM member when I had coffee with a pal in Books & Beans. Maybe best she didn't know it was me because we have had fairly strong words on here in the past but whenever I've met her in real life, she has always been quite charming. :)

In fact, I realised I was was sitting right behind one AM member when I had coffee with a pal in Books & Beans. Maybe best she didn't know it was me because we have had fairly strong words on here in the past but whenever I've met her in real life, she has always been quite charming. :)

Sandi Thom?

Nah - She was fine the time I met her! :D

More goings-on today. A jumper on Union Bridge. He was standing there being talked to when I first passed but on the way back, there was no sign of the guy but the police still had the area cordined off.

Anyone know if he did or not? :(

He did.

I just got a message from my friend who saw it happen.

I was downstairs in HMV, went out to see what the crowd was for and saw the guy on the bridge. Decided I didn't really want to see the worst happen so went back in. Unfortunately what I wanted was in the Metal rack and when I looked out to see if they had managed to get him down it co-incided with him going over. Fucking horrible to see, couldn't believe the sick cunts standing filming the guy with their mobile phones and folk running over to look over once he had gone.

I still feel weird.

I was downstairs in HMV, went out to see what the crowd was for and saw the guy on the bridge. Decided I didn't really want to see the worst happen so went back in. Unfortunately what I wanted was in the Metal rack and when I looked out to see if they had managed to get him down it co-incided with him going over. Fucking horrible to see, couldn't believe the sick cunts standing filming the guy with their mobile phones and folk running over to look over once he had gone.

I still feel weird.

I was working in Waterstones, turned around to see if he'd come down just in time to see him go over as well :down: I agree about the folk filming it on their mobiles and running over after he'd jumped...