aberdeen-music

Hebridean holiday suggestions?

Kinnell

Awright folks!

Going on 10 day holiday to the west coast at the start of August and looking for suggestions for things to do. I'm a pisshead and a diver so that's two boxes ticked. Just looking for any recommendations from anybody who's been out that way. I spend Friday night in Inverness then get the train to Kyle of Lochalsh and hop over to Skye on the Saturday. Spend a few days in Skye and work my way through Uist down to Islay then over to Glasgow on my last day where I get the train back to Aberdeen. Any suggestions on islands to visit, sightseeing or activities?

I'd suggest booking hostel accommodation asap for the likes of Skye, as it is mega impossible during peak summer times. Set up camp in Broadford for a day, so you can explore the south of the Island; then do the same with setting up camp in Portree for exploring the north. I was there last year and loved every second :)

Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis had a great open-mike night on the Thursday night, in the main pub. Can't remember the name, but it was absolutely bouncing! Not sure if it will still be on, but worth investigating.

Can't really offer any other information, as most of my West Coast trips have been spent on the mainland in the likes of Lochinver, Ullapool and Fort William.

You'll have a blast :)

Cheers Ross!

I've already been looking at hostels on Skye and reckon I'll take your advice on that one. The only problem is the rest of the islands. I don't want to commit to anything after Skye right now. So, not sure about hostel availability the rest of the islands at that time of year.

Book Broadford Hostel, Isle of Skye, Scotland: Book Now!

That's the hostel I stayed in for Broadford. About 10 or so per night, and about a 5-10 minute walk from the main highstreet of the town. I had an awesome night in a hotel pub watching Andy Murray thump Djokovic in a US final, then got a carry out to drink on the moonlit coast on the way back. Fantastic scenery with beers and Ipod = epic win :up:

There's not much to do further south, other than hike up big hills and dodge ramblers if you are driving. But the scenery between Broadford and Portree is up there with the best i've ever seen.

If you are into your whisky I'd recommend doing some of the tours around the islands; i've heard very good things.

When we played a gig on Stornoway with Electric Eel Shock a good few years back, there was a spiritual guy in the hostel who suggested going to visit some ancient stones; I think this is them - Stornoway Things To Do - Stornoway Travel Reviews - VirtualTourist.com Try not to be there on a Sunday though... absolutely nothing is open!

Ullapool is lovely. Went camping there a couple of months ago and had a great time. Beautiful scenery, good pubs and a really good Indian restaurant as well.

The road from ullapool to Achiltibuie is a good drive. Really dramatic mountain scenery and one of my favourite parts of the country. On that road there is a mountain called Stac Pollaidh which is fairly easy to climb and the views from the top were breathtaking. Great views of the surrounding mountains and out to sea towards Lewis.

Lewis is worth a visit as well. Beautiful beaches, especially in Harris and one about 10 miles north of Stornoway called Tolsta, which on a good day has good views of the mainland. Some pubs in Stornoway are open on a sunday but they close fairly early and as Ross said pretty much everywhere is shut. The petrol station is open and thats about it.

Ullapool is one of my favourite places in the world. Heading back there with a group of mates on the 11th July for their annual '3-legged-fancy-dress-pub-crawl-quiz'; it's a sight to behold!! After we stumbled across that event last year, we are really making an effort to make it an annual trip.

I'd also love to go to Ullapoolooza (loopalu?) festival in Ullapool, but it's always during an awkward/busy time for work.

Looks like I'll have to stock up on the Saturday then cos there's no way I'm going a whole Sunday sober. As for St Kilda, already been thinking about that one. Quite fancy diving some of the caves out there. Times not exactly on my side though. Might have to leaver St Kilda to another time as I want to cover as much as possible without going too far out. Saying that, I did find one dive centre with a powerboat who do day trips. Think they there based somewhere in Uist. Quite fancy sea kayaking as well. Anybody tried this out that way? Cheers for the advice folks. Keep it comin!