aberdeen-music

Avoid - Red battle 09

Rickicaz1279

Not a great expense to themselves at all, they filled two 50-seater buses quite easily with alot of people driving down as well. Didnt cost them anything except from time advertising (which they do for all of their gigs) to fill the seats. and it paid off in the end with Recording, Equipment, Money, a Tour which the red battle(not sticking up for them still think its a bit of a joke comp) are supplying them with a driver/van and putting them up in hotels every night of the tour and also they have had quite alot of exposure because of winning.

That's fair enough.... but what if they didn't win? Fortunately they did and it paid off...

Guest idol_wild
But yet all you can do is nit pick his business strategy when that was really NOTHING to do with anything. Seriously... who cares if he made a loss or NOT?! Fuck Me! FUCK ALL to do with what he was trying to show people.

Erm, he posted his financial details/summary to justify his business strategy. His business strategy was being picked on from first hand experience. He was trying to justify why his strategy is the way it is, and he used financial figures to explain why he does things the way he does.

So his business strategy is a lot to do with everything, really.

Sorry for "making you sick".

It's clear all he was trying to do is show that he is not some con atrtist because some bitter folk have piped up because one band has more mates than the other...which has seen them through! No BOTB is any different, surely you must know that.

I'm going to refute this stupid comment, we are in no way bitter about Red Battle. Once we realised what was going on we didn't give a shit about it. Bitterness is not fuelling Ricki's post - it's a genuine wish to stop others wasting time on this competition. Like Dick said, if someone had made this post last year we wouldn't have wasted our time with it either.

So if you want to insult anything, insult our nativity by thinking that someone genuine wanted to run a genuine competition to help bands and instead of a joke like this was.

Erm, he posted his financial details/summary to justify his business strategy. His business strategy was being picked on from first hand experience. He was trying to justify why his strategy is the way it is, and he used financial figures to explain why he does things the way he does.

So his business strategy is a lot to do with everything, really.

Sorry for "making you sick".

Exactly, Redbattle's post was justifying that huge text vote and ticket costs which we felt were a complete rip off.

Others have proved his whole financial strategy is flawed. So yes, it was wholly relevant.

You lot called him a con atrist, pretty much. He has come back being a seeming to be decent guy trying to justify himself (albeit it's not perfect but its first time he has done thing and maybe lessons will be learned).

Just give the lad a break and appreciate the fact that it's not a huge money making scam like you first winged about!!

EDIT: It's also just the fact that you can see he has spent all night putting that together, then you lot pipe up and go in so many words "oh well, check the nick of your expenses," Fuck me.?( I mean, not even an acknowledgement, or like, "Fair enough pal, we see where you are coming from, BUT..."

Guest idol_wild
You lot called him a con atrist, pretty much. He has come back being a seeming to be decent guy trying to justify himself (albeit it's not perfect but its first time he has done thing and maybe lessons will be learned).

Just give the lad a break and appreciate the fact that it's not a huge money making scam like you first winged about!!

EDIT: It's also just the fact that you can see he has spent all night putting that together, then you lot pipe up and go in so many words "oh well, check the nick of your expenses," Fuck me.?( I mean, not even an acknowledgement, or like, "Fair enough pal, we see where you are coming from, BUT..."

"You lot"? I, for one, never once called him a con-artist. Stop generalising; it makes you come across as dim, and I'm almost certain you're far from dim.

I don't care if he's a decent guy or how long it took him to pull together that post. The fact is that what he presented was a very tired and weak-looking business strategy, and the business strategy is directly influenced by the financial condition of his company. He's giving us a bit of a sob story, but any of us merely empathising won't benefit him. Nobody is being aggressive or pugnacious towards him as such, so what's the problem? A lot of the input in this thread is very relevant and, if he took it on board, will probably help him.

If he really looked at his expenses, did a little more research, then his outgoings would be reduced considerably almost immediately. By that, I am referring to venue hires for the most part.

He posted his entire business strategy and his finances for last year. Are we just expected to accept them if we disagree with them, purely because he went to the effort to post?

"You lot"? I, for one, never once called him a con-artist. Stop generalising; it makes you come across as dim, and I'm almost certain you're far from dim.

I don't care if he's a decent guy or how long it took him to pull together that post. The fact is that what he presented was a very tired and weak-looking business strategy, and the business strategy is directly influenced by the financial condition of his company. He's giving us a bit of a sob story, but any of us merely empathising won't benefit him. Nobody is being aggressive or pugnacious towards him as such, so what's the problem? A lot of the input in this thread is very relevant and, if he took it on board, will probably help him.

If he really looked at his expenses, did a little more research, then his outgoings would be reduced considerably almost immediately. By that, I am referring to venue hires for the most part.

He posted his entire business strategy and his finances for last year. Are we just expected to accept them if we disagree with them, purely because he went to the effort to post?

You must spread reputation about... :love:

Fit like 'en! i know by now the forum is probably on to something a million miles away from the orginal topic, but i saw it and thought id stick in my 20 pence piece

Me and the rest of the guys in Enrapture thought that the Red Battle was simply asking way too much of local bands and their fans.

Now to be fair, playing at Moshulu was cool, getting that chance got the attention of a lot of the bands. The text voting thing also seemed decent at first, showed us how supportive people can be in town, wanting us to do well. As a one off it was pretty cool.

After that we started seeing problems. All that money paid for tickets and texts was only for one round; i think how it went down was that you were meant to do that 3 times in aberdeen before you got to a regional battle. The ticket prices were really steep, and for the 2nd round they even added a couple quid to the ticket price!

We felt the whole thing was asking way too much, we couldnt really see the point in hassling fans to pay for overpriced tickets and constantly send texts. We thought if anything we'd just piss folk off and lose fans. There was also nothing to stop anyone from putting a ton of credit into their phones and spending the day texting their band through, so its hard to rate it as a genuine band battle.

Take it easy guys.

More than likely. I wasn't going to say anything, but his threats of litigation really do deserve treated with the contempt that they deserve. It's always the line brought out with people with absolutely no experience of the legal system - and anyone who has even a passing interest in law knows that the threats are absolutely hollow. It's one thing when a company like Microsoft or the BPI threaten you - because they've got the money to drag you through the courts until you submit from how much it's costing you. But 'Redland' don't have the money to do it - and I doubt they could afford to even bring such a case to court in the first place.

Even obtaining the personal details of people posting to this site would surely cost quite a bit of money in obtaining the relevant court order - and what would they get except details of IP addresses and publicly viewable information? Then you'd be looking at a court order to force the ISP to reveal who '212.22.35.215' is - which again wouldn't be cheap, as the ISP would fight any such order to avoid setting a precedent.

As an aside, this is something we've tried to deal with carefully on the web site as unfortunately the threats of legal action do occasionally come across our way.

For those interested, the disclaimer the web site has (and what you have all agreed to accept by registering on the site) removes any liability the web site (i.e. me) has for the content of anything posted either publically or privately anywhere on the site. We'll remove specific content if asked, but that's normally as far as we would go.

It's the author of the post or private message that is wholly responsible for it's content. We could be forced to handover what information we have recorded for a specific member (IP addresses, e-mail address, location etc). This would be required if they needed to be properly indentified in order for legal action to be taken out against them by a third party. But we would only ever do this under the instruction of the relevant authorities and with the relevant warrant issued by court. In all the years this web site has been online this has yet to ever happen, thankfully.

Please do be careful with what you post about other people and organisations though. People can and do get taken to court for things like defamation because of making posts on message boards, news groups, social networks etc. Although you might think you are doing it anonymously, there really is no such thing. An IP address and an e-mail address are more than enough to identify a person if needs be.

Anyway, good thread this. Back to the topic at hand...

• 3 months later...

"Hey guys.

You've booked a gig at the legion in netherton which makes you in breach of our contract with you. You cannot book gigs within 3 weeks of the date of our gig for obvious reasons. If you want to play venues like that boozer with cowboy promoters like gigz then be my guest, but us and other barfly promoters will not work with you and you will not get shows at the barfly supporting bands like This Endless Sea.

You need to cancel that gig straight away in order to play barfly. Please confirm you have done so.

Sam @ Redland Promotions/Barfly"

Quote taken frmo one of those links

that was an email sent to a band playing at one of his venues. what a twat!!! that guy sounds like an absolute tool, even more of a tool then i thought he was

This is exactly why i started this thread init