aberdeen-music

Michael Jackson RIP

ca_gere

Well, as they say dying is the best thing you can do for your career:

In the hours following Jackson's death, his record sales increased dramatically. His seminal album Thriller climbed to number one on the American iTunes music chart, while another eight have made it into the top 40.[158] In the UK, where Jackson would have performed less than three weeks after his death, fifteen of his albums occupied the top 15 spots on the Amazon music chart

I proudly already have my favourite albums by him.

do you think it could be people buying them in his memory? people did that with the tune Elton John released when princess Diana died, they brought hundreds of copies just in her memory. Tune was shit.

Incorrect. The tune was good. It was the mawkish lyrics that were shit.

do you think it could be people buying them in his memory? people did that with the tune Elton John released when princess Diana died, they brought hundreds of copies just in her memory. Tune was shit.

How old were you then? About 5?

I'm sure that's what it is. I've got my favourite ones on vinyl, I have been meaning to pick up the CDs so I can put them on my iPod, but I've already spend my CD budget for this month.

I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating. The day Johnny Cash died I was working in Virgin. Within ten minutes of the death announcement, we got an email from head office which went to every store in Britain saying "Double the price of all Johnny Cash CDs and put them on prominent display". Cretins.

Guest Gladstone

Heard the news this morning en route to work at half 6. Shocked, truly shocked. So out of the blue.

People are saying they wish he'd got the chance to do the gigs and rule the pop world again, but in a sense, it may be good that he never got to do the shows because what if he'd been shit, and didn't have it anymore? At least he'll be remembered now as being the King of Pop who went a bit off the rails, but if loads of people bought expensive tickets for the shows and he was shit, that would have tainted his music legacy.

Anyways. True Pop Idol.

The first music legend that I grew up listening to to die. Sad day.

RIP

• Upvote 1

Unfortunate that MJ never got to do the London gig, could have been amazing.

I have a feeling that a frail 50 year old man with big health problems and bigger mental problems is more likely to have been a let down rather than amazing. I doubt he can still sing and dance like he used to.

I like to think it would have been a success, however - but either way it would have been great to be there for the sheer spectacle.

i honestly think if he had done the concerts they could have been seriously embarrasing and would have tarnished his reputation. its no secret he was doing them for the money.

i always thought jackson was vastly overated but appreciate his talents.

his output since thriller has been in general pretty piss poor barring the odd track here and there. i always thought he was a better dancer than anything else.

Have they released information on cause of death yet?

Nothing yet, apart from it was a cardiac arrest perhaps brought on by a punishing rehearsal schedule and overwhelming pressure of a 50-day stint at the 02 in tandem with the medication he was on.

I heard it was probably too much medicine probably to keep up with all the work he had to put in to the shows. Must of been a OD type thing surely, there was health examinations before his insurance etc for the shows which he passed and that was only few months ago?!

Don't like to speculate but tis what i heard this a.m.

Too much dance practice did him in (blame it on the boogie).

Like all musical celebrity deaths the amount you're affected by it depends on how much you connected with the artist. I'm not a fan of MJ, so his passing doesn't register as much as the recent death of John Martyn.

At my age most, most of my heroes have kicked the bucket already.

I know I'll be very upset when Roy Harper and Robert Wyatt die.

anyone read popbitch yet? There are some jacko memorial jokes that are absolute corkers. I would post them but (unbelievably) people seem a bit touchy.

The man did a lot for music and I utterly respect him but he's so far removed from my personal experience I feel no shame in indulging in crass jokes about him.