aberdeen-music

Prog / Space Rock appreciation society

Fast Caz

Transatlantic are very hit and miss. Liquid Tension Experiment are godlike though as much are Spocks Beard

I loved Transatlantic's first album, and saw them on one of the only 2 dates they every played in the UK, in support of the second album, and was bored senseless. They're doing a third album, having just reformed after 7 years.

Those two ant that first album, agree fully but I never got quite into the rest of the output.

Certain Yes albums, yup - them too. Up to Going for the one/Tormato anyway. After that, there is only brief moments IMO.

If you liekd the first Asia album i'd recommend egtting the reformation album Phoenix, very similar to the first album,.Asia's most interesting album except for the first one was possibly Aqua which was the first they did with John Payne which I thought was excellent.

I saw them live a few years ago and thoguht they were excellent, they each did a solo number from their respective bands, Wetton did a King Crimson number, Palmer did fanfare, Steve Howe did roundabout and Geoff Downes did Video Killed the Radio Star,

Yup, those are good albums but I've never seen them in the same way as the more properly "prog" albums, before and since - They were much more of a straight-up rock band at that point IMO.

Totally agree. I almost think of 80s Yes as a different band that did the earlier classics (Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, Yours Is No Disgrace etc). With Jon Anderson's voice being the only real similarity. In fact, other than Anderson and Chris Squire I think it was a completely different band!

Right. Here we go.

Steve Hillage would have to be the ultimate prog hero for me. Fish Rising is a work of genius. Saw him play at the Gong Unconvention in Amsterdam a couple of years back. He played the entire album. T'was brilliant. I believe he's doing his solo stuff at Glasto this year. I doubt they'll show footage of it unfortunately :(

Who's going to Edinburgh in November to see Gong play with Hillage and Giraudy?

Never really been keen on the newer prog stuff out there. Porcuine Tree are okay, but seem to steal too many pieces of other prog stuff out there. The likes of Dream Theater just piss me off. Too much wankery and any musical melody just gets lost in what sounds like technical exercises. The singer is crap and the lyrics are often dreadful. That "where do we go when we die?" song is awful. It raises philisophical issues using the poetic ability of a primary school pupil.

Other bands worth a mention are Hidria Spacefolk, Amon Duul II, Ashra, Acid Mothers Temple, and i guess Mahavishnu Orchestra (who are one of my favourite bands at the moment. The Robert Fripp solo stuff seems to be hard to get hold of. What I've heard if good though. Love the Fripp and Eno stuff.

Right. Here we go.

Steve Hillage would have to be the ultimate prog hero for me. Fish Rising is a work of genius. Saw him play at the Gong Unconvention in Amsterdam a couple of years back. He played the entire album. T'was brilliant. I believe he's doing his solo stuff at Glasto this year. I doubt they'll show footage of it unfortunately :(

Who's going to Edinburgh in November to see Gong play with Hillage and Giraudy?

Never really been keen on the newer prog stuff out there. Porcuine Tree are okay, but seem to steal too many pieces of other prog stuff out there. The likes of Dream Theater just piss me off. Too much wankery and any musical melody just gets lost in what sounds like technical exercises. The singer is crap and the lyrics are often dreadful. That "where do we go when we die?" song is awful. It raises philisophical issues using the poetic ability of a primary school pupil.

Other bands worth a mention are Hidria Spacefolk, Amon Duul II, Ashra, Acid Mothers Temple, and i guess Mahavishnu Orchestra (who are one of my favourite bands at the moment. The Robert Fripp solo stuff seems to be hard to get hold of. What I've heard if good though. Love the Fripp and Eno stuff.

I didn't know Gong were playing this year.Seems like a great excuse for a wee trip down.

Always noticed with prog fans that Dream Theater seem to be a sore spot. So i wont go into depth about them. I love them and cite them as a great influence on me.

I had some Amon Duul II stuff a while ago , god knows where i have misplaced it..... probably with my childhood no doubt. Ho ho ho.

Mahavishnu are the muts nuts for me just now! Just can't get enough of them.

If you liekd the first Asia album i'd recommend egtting the reformation album Phoenix, very similar to the first album,.Asia's most interesting album except for the first one was possibly Aqua which was the first they did with John Payne which I thought was excellent.

I have Aqua but have never got that into it. Maybe I will give it a few more listens. :)

Fuck yeah! That's John McLaughlin's band isn't it?

I picked up the Trio of Doom CD a while back (Jaco, John and Tony Williams live at Havana Jam, Cuba 1979) which is an apparent 'trainwreck' of sorts, but have yet to delve in the realms of McLaughlin's and Williams' own material (except when they were featured on Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way).

Any recommendations where to start?

Steve Hillage would have to be the ultimate prog hero for me.

I used to like some of Hillage's stuff a lot, although other stuff of his is the aural equivalent of watching paint dry for me. Never got into Gong though, not at all.

Then a pal ended-up working for him and Miquette in System 7 and his tales of the complete and utter wankery he had to put up with from them did kind of put me off them altogether.

Although to my surprise I did quite enjoy them again when I wandered into a tent in an "enhanced" state at Solfest a couple of years back:

1351533547_035d33ca40.jpg

:)

Fuck yeah! That's John McLaughlin's band isn't it?

I picked up the Trio of Doom CD a while back (Jaco, John and Tony Williams live at Havana Jam, Cuba 1979) which is an apparent 'trainwreck' of sorts, but have yet to delve in the realms of McLaughlin's and Williams' own material (except when they were featured on Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way).

Any recommendations where to start?

Birds of Fire is my personal favourite album. Inner Mountain Flame is another good one.

System 7 are fantastic. It doesn't surprise me that they could be a bit of a pain in the arse for anyone working for them though.

At Wickerman Festival a coupe of years ago, I approached Mr Hillage in a tent while he was playing with Mirror System. He shook my hand but not without a look of disgust. I could tell he was thinking "what a dirty hippy". Indeed I was a "dirty hippy" though, so I didn't hold it against him.

We saw him a few times later walking around the festival site. We would start chants of "Stevo, Stevo, Stevo". Needless to say he avoided us like the plague and pretended not to notice us. Good times.

Great Thread. Has to be the 70's big hitters for me; Yes, and Genesis. Chris Squire is probably one of the main reasons I picked up a bass. "Close to the Edge" is one of my favourite albums of all. I'll take any point in the seventies for Genesis - unlike a lot of folks, I don't care if it's Collins or Gabriel singing. "Cinema Show" is amazing. I've seen the The Musical Box four times, and as gigs go, its good stuff.

Noticed a Gentle Giant cover posted earlier - I'm a huge fan of them and glad to see that some of them are back together and playing as Three Friends. Think "Octopus" and "Free Hand" are magic albums. Caravan are great too.

Tend to think that generally out there there's a divide in "Prog its OK to admit to Liking in Public" (Floyd/Can/Gong) and "Prog its not OK to admit to Liking" (Yes/Genesis/ELP).

Have to say I think ELP were 98% pish. Also take a fairly dim view of the Dream Theater type of prog going about just now - sounds awful. Think The Flower Kings are OK but the guitars usually sound pretty cheesy and that lets them down.

I had a Twelfth Night album once...

...It was well bowff.

Super Serial though I have much love for 'Rainbow Dome Musick' by Steve Hillage, although its more ambient than prog, and I am feeling curious about Hawkwind, whenever I get in to a bit of Phaser action, its great to veg out on Silver Machine. I liked Pallas when I was 16, but that may have been more local loyalty than anything else, I'd have to check the Sentinel again. I hate Pink Floyd though, and always will.*

*barring successful hypnosis.

Along with many others, I once donated some pennies to enable Daevid Allen to publish 'Gong dreaming', for which I get a namecheck.

Gong were VG at the Music Hall (with another hero of mine, Kevin Coyne, as the support). Also not bad at the Lemon Tree. I was going to see them at Kef, or whatever it was called, but they cancelled.

Yeah Kansas have some wicked songs. good choice!!

anyone listen to procupine tree..no had time to read all thread so no sure if they've been mentioned..?

I saw Porcupine Tree in 97 at the lemon tree and thought they were really terrible. I have to say, that imo Steve Wilson is hugely overated and wrecks most things he touches as well as being up himself, he produced Fish's Sunsets on Empire which is Fish's worst album imo, and he did some workl with Marillion that I really don't like either.

I'm a big fan of the Porcupine Tree guitarist John Wesley, top bloke with some great solo tunes :)

Yeah Kansas have some wicked songs. good choice!!

anyone listen to procupine tree..no had time to read all thread so no sure if they've been mentioned..?

I have a couple of their albums. Don't really listen to them anymore though. They seem to steal too many bits and pieces of other prog bands out there IMO. Saw them live last year and though they were enjoyable, Wilson did seem to me to be a little bit pretentious.

Jethro Tull, ELP and Yes are the bands that really do it for me. Got a few King Crimson CD's also and like them.

Listened to a fair bit of Ozric Tenticles, Greenslade, Colloseum, Gryphon, Kansas, Tangerine Dream and various others and liked them also.

Never been into Pink Floyd or Genesis as much, although i've tried they just seem like a different type of prog from the one i'm into. I like them, just not as much.

• 5 weeks later...

Having recently acquired a vast prog/jazz collection, I've discovered a few albums I had not heard before. Strawbs - Grave New World is a fantastic album. It seems to have bits of everything, from raga, folk, acapella, psych and prog.

Although there are LOADS more cds for me to work my way through, a few of the good ones I've found are Fruup, Terry Riley, Greenslade, Samurai, and Spirit.

The few albums in that collection that I already own are going to be donated to the Moorings Juke Box, much to the annoyance of my co-workers and customers. :gringo: