aberdeen-music

Prog / Space Rock appreciation society

Fast Caz

For lengthy discussions of Robert Wyatts utmost brilliance,Can Gong ever make a shit album,Would it be a crime to not want to embrace several forms of hallucinagenics whilst listening to Ozric Tentacles.

You get the jist.

Folk-Jazz-Heavy Prog-Ambient

Everything from Saint Just - Caravan - Syd Barret - Mahavishnu Orchestra - Van Der Graaf Generator.

:up:

Haha, maybe I'm getting carried away with my Caravany love.In the Land of Grey and Pink is just such a good album. I think For Girls Who Go Plump... is a hugely underrated record too, I think it's just quality. King Crimson are my favourite prog band though. Just so much better than Pink Floyd who, for the most part, churned out what is by comparison a raft of pish. True story. Piper at the Gates is pretty ace, but they have truly come out with some amount of rubbish since then.

What about Beggars Opera? Haha

Haha, maybe I'm getting carried away with my Caravany love.In the Land of Grey and Pink is just such a good album. I think For Girls Who Go Plump... is a hugely underrated record too, I think it's just quality. King Crimson are my favourite prog band though. Just so much better than Pink Floyd who, for the most part, churned out what is by comparison a raft of pish. True story. Piper at the Gates is pretty ace, but they have truly come out with some amount of rubbish since then.

Yeah i really don't rate much of the Pink Floyd stuff after Syd Barret.I liked The Wall Film but music is quite dull.

Fish era Marillion may be on the top spot for me. That's only because Script For A Jesters Tear is one of my top five desert island discs.

Can't actually say i've heard Beggars Opera.

To youtube i go.

Beggars Opera were a GREAT live band without doubt

BBC R6 Freak Zone Sundays @ 5.30pm is your Christmas present early.

check out their play list astonishing

Along with many of the above:

alpha.jpg

Still one of the ultimate space rock albums IMO, and possibly the one that got me into the genre. It is still one of the albums I am most likely to unwind to today.

Maybe neck and neck with:

1.jpg

And some of the early Eloy albums were no bad either, particularly:

thumbnail.asp.jpg

eloy_silent_cries_and_mighty_echoes_1978_retail_cd-front.jpg

I still have my vinyl of those, which I caried back from a school trip to Austria, some years before they had any release here and thankfully well before they took that god-awful metal nosedive!

And of course no small mention for Crimson and :

AshRaTemple.jpg

000b56fb_medium.jpeg

The Gong/Caravan/ELP etc kids used to run away from me - Lightweights!

I better stop now - Could be here all night. :D

• Upvote 1

Hhhmmmm really don't know about that. I mean you can't get any better than Piper At The Gates Of Dawn or Space Ritual.

I'm really not a fan of Syd Barrett-era Floyd at all. It sounds like Monty Python.

However, Wish You Were Here, Division Bell and most of Darkside... are stunning.

Floyd and Yes is where it's at for me.

And there's some cool covers there... but where the fuck are the Roger Dean painted Yes and Asia covers!

asiaqc1.jpg

cover_1145419102008.jpg

yessongs.jpg

I'm really not a fan of Syd Barrett-era Floyd at all. It sounds like Monty Python.

Sounds like Monty Python?

I got Division Bell a couple of years ago on tape and i was very happy with it. Very mellow and quiet ambient in parts.

The yes covers were one of the main reasons for wanting to start on about the covers.

Ah Asia a pleasure that never fails me. Soul Survivor and Heat Of The Moment ahhhhhhhhh.

Ah Asia a pleasure that never fails me. Soul Survivor and Heat Of The Moment ahhhhhhhhh.

Those two ant that first album, agree fully but I never got quite into the rest of the output.

Certain Yes albums, yup - them too. Up to Going for the one/Tormato anyway. After that, there is only brief moments IMO.

I'm the opposite of Dan.....I think early Pink Floyd is great, inventive stuff, but they got increasingly more average with every album post Syd.

I like Wyatt an awful lot, plus Kevin Ayers etc. Had the pleasure of seeing many great prog bands in the 70s (Caravan, Gong, King Crimson, Yes, early Genesis etc), and I agree with that other old chap's opinion of Beggar's Opera live (presume you also saw them at the Beach Ballroom?).

One of my favourite, underrated bands of the genre are Tonton Macoute who had a lovely album out on the Neon label. I play it a lot.

I'm the opposite of Dan.....I think early Pink Floyd is great, inventive stuff, but they got increasingly more average with every album post Syd.

I like Wyatt an awful lot, plus Kevin Ayers etc. Had the pleasure of seeing many great prog bands in the 70s (Caravan, Gong, King Crimson, Yes, early Genesis etc), and I agree with that other old chap's opinion of Beggar's Opera live (presume you also saw them at the Beach Ballroom?).

One of my favourite, underrated bands of the genre are Tonton Macoute who had a lovely album out on the Neon label. I play it a lot.

Even by todays standards the Barret era is still inventive and fresh sounding.

Anyone a fan of Robert Fripps solo albums? I have Rubicon and it aint too bad.

Sounds like Monty Python?

I got Division Bell a couple of years ago on tape and i was very happy with it. Very mellow and quiet ambient in parts.

The yes covers were one of the main reasons for wanting to start on about the covers.

What I mean is if Monty Python were a band they would sound like early Floyd! Kazoos, duck quacks, insane lyrics and general sillyness. The end of the track 'Bike' being the best example. Actually that whole song is utterly bizarre.

I love division bell to pieces though... it sounds so massive. Similarly I'm a huge fan of half of 'Big Generator' and '90125' albums by Yes because they have that same sort of huge synth driven ambience, although 80's yes is a little poppier than Floyd. If you don't know it, check out the song "Shoot High, Aim Low" from Big Generator. So, so good.

And well played, bringing up Prog album covers. :up:

HR Giger's cover for ELP's 'Brain Salad Surgery' is also a winner, although not so typically prog (think I was discussing this with Teabags the other day at the tunnels)

Similarly I'm a huge fan of half of 'Big Generator' and '90125' albums by Yes because they have that same sort of huge synth driven ambience, although 80's yes is a little poppier than Floyd. If you don't know it, check out the song "Shoot High, Aim Low" from Big Generator. So, so good.

Yup, those are good albums but I've never seen them in the same way as the more properly "prog" albums, before and since - They were much more of a straight-up rock band at that point IMO.