aberdeen-music

Attempt at getting black album tone

Dan G

Funnily enough I was just annoying fellow bus passengers by listening to The Black Album yesterday.

Sounds pretty good to me but (and I'm not being cheeky here, I really don't know anything about metal tones except it involves "scooped mids"), is this not a relatively easy tone to mimic anyway?

haha, no! It's one of the most holy grail guitar tones ever achieved. It was a ridiculous recording process involving mesa mk IIC+ amps (which went out of print years ago). and using so many different types of expensive mics to capture the tone. Added in the mix is hetfield having such his own playing style, it's hard to replicate perfectly. I'm not really there yet like... but I am trying to do it using just my Line6 POD rather than my fancy tube amps.

Cheers for having a listen though!

Doesn't Hetfield achieve the thickness of the tone by overdubbing the same rhythm parts over and over, around 8 times or so? That's what I'd heard he did on Master anyway. You seem to have captured the playing style quite impressively, but the tone lacks the presence (whilst the sound actually seems bang on), which you could possibly achieve if you overdubbed a few times possibly?

Doesn't Hetfield achieve the thickness of the tone by overdubbing the same rhythm parts over and over, around 8 times or so? That's what I'd heard he did on Master anyway. You seem to have captured the playing style quite impressively, but the tone lacks the presence (whilst the sound actually seems bang on), which you could possibly achieve if you overdubbed a few times possibly?

Aye I heard he does that a lot. He is also the master of down stroke playing. Playing MoP all downstrokes is probably one of the most painful musical related things I have ever done. I think I only did it once, but then again I'm not very good. I do notice it sounds so much worse it you alternate pick though, them upstrokes just don't sound the same.

I did actually track my small section 4 times, panned 100% left and right and then 2 panned slightly further in at 80%.

Puppets was done tracks 3 each side but 2 of these were just playing the open E chugs and missing out the rest of the riffs. I read a massive long thing written by flemming rasmussen on that.

Huw: have you heard my cover of master of puppets? I did that all down strokes a la hetfield (I tracked 4 guitars takes again)

Johnology: I tracked all my metallica stuff with a Gibson Explorer with its stock passive pick ups.... not the EMG 81/60 combo that hetfield uses.

YouTube - Michael Jackson-Beat it performed by Metallica

What does everyone think of this, just out of curiosity?

i would personally be quite disappointed if i paid to see Metallica and they played that weird medley but maybe some of you guys will appreciate it.

I remember sitting up and waiting for that metallica icon show to come on mtv a couple of years ago and absolutely loving that medley. It was just a one off that they performed it and there was a load of average musicians absolutely pissing all over metallica classics a la avril lavigne playing fuel.

Try searching snoop dogg sad but true. Funny as fuck.