aberdeen-music

Parks in this city for summer recreation

Guest Hobo

The sun is out in full force, people are out and about. Aberdeen: a rather green, cool and quaint looking city 'when its sunny' full of parks but sometimes we miss them.

The other day I stumbled across Victoria Park which despite often visiting Westburn I hadn't noticed.

Here's the idea: In the format below post a park or open area fit for anything from reading the daily paper to a game of footy in or around Aberdeen(suburbs included). Discover Aberdeen, Have a great time not necessarily in that order.

A useful resource for sunseekers, relaxers, those who just want to get away from it but can't(it's better than nothing)

Useful Links: Google Maps - The link to copy for linking to a certain point on the map is on the right hand side.

Park Name:

Victoria Park

Nearby/Close to:

Westburn Park, Rosemount

Features:

Fountain, Indoor gardens which aren't open anymore.

Toilets:

Yes, 20p

Map:

victoria park, - Google Maps

Park Name:

Westburn Park

Nearby/Close to:

ARI, Hospital, Hilton, Victoria Park, Rosemount

Features:

BMX/Skate facilities, tennis, Playpark, stream

Toilets:

Unsure?

Map:

westburn park - Google Maps

Park Name:

Seton

Nearby/Close to:

Hillhead/uni, tilly

Features:

grass and lots of it, trees, a stream next to which is prime bbq location, a bonnie garden bitty, tramps offering blow jobs for money (true story) , see saws

Toilets:

Enter at your own risk (see aforementioned tramp)

Its amazing how many people don't know Seton park exists.

Park Name:

Hazelhead

Nearby/Close to:

Hazelhead/Woodend/Craigiebuckler/Mannofield

Features:

grass and lots of it, trees, kids play area, pets corner, maze, ptich and putt, trampolines (may be closed now), memorial rose gardens, playing fields, woods to walk round, golf courses (last two not technically part of the park), cafe and vending machines

Toilets:

Free

Hazelhead park - Google Maps

If you are looking for a dogging spot, why don't you just say so?

we were all thinking it but you said it. well done.

incidentally:

Park Name:

Duthie Park

Nearby/close to:

River Dee, Ferryhill house hotel, city centre

Features:

Dried up boating pond, Winter gardens, Big Slide, Car Park with nocturnal activities.

Toilets:

Free

also girdleness is good on a summers day, though not when there's fog everywhere like today.

a stream next to which is prime bbq location

The "stream" is the River Don, also don't have barbecues on the grass, bring a slab or stand or something cos at the moment there are almost more burnt bits of ground than there is nice grass to sit on :(

(not aimed at ca_gere) And don't even get me started on the fuckwits who left this mess a couple of weeks ago, have some respect for others using the park, sheesh!

dq09060200_scw.jpg

Anyways, a relative unknown from the city centre,

Park Name:

Bon Accord Terrace Gardens

Nearby/Close to:

Union Street, Ferryhill

Features:

not much! just some peace for lunchtime if you work up that way

Toilets:

nope

Map:

bon accord crescent - Google Maps

The "stream" is the River Don, also don't have barbecues on the grass, bring a slab or stand or something cos at the moment there are almost more burnt bits of ground than there is nice grass to sit on :(

You are right. I tend to forget that the majority of the population are idiots and don't equate 'having a bbq' with 'not leaving your shit everywhere and burning up the grass.' Fannies ruin everything. That said, I bet there are just as much considerate people having barbeques, just you can't see any evidence of it afterwards... like it should be.

(not aimed at ca_gere) And don't even get me started on the fuckwits who left this mess a couple of weeks ago, have some respect for others using the park, sheesh!

dq09060200_scw.jpg

I was at that very spot a few weeks ago and managed to clear all our rubbish. Bins in the park were full so I just chucked it the boot of the car and binned it when I got home, why is this beyond some people?! Pisses me off too!