aberdeen-music

The Wrong Choice - Aberdeen City Council budget cuts

I'm not sure how it all works but i think they should cap all council workers wages at 50,000 and have a maximum expenses count - say 3000 per year

The government should then create an institution called the 'Ministry of Common Sense' who would work with the general public, say on a jury style basis, to sort through things which people say are stupid. This 'Ministry of Common Sense' would sit between the High Court and European Court of Human Rights power wise

Not sure about this, personally. I can't say I'm keen on a leadership that chooses cuts in discretionary spending on services affecting the most vulnerable over playing hardball with the unions regarding salaries, pensions and redundancies, which has got to be where the most pork barrel spending is but I somehow doubt this will change that.

Not sure about this, personally. I can't say I'm keen on a leadership that chooses cuts in discretionary spending on services affecting the most vulnerable over playing hardball with the unions regarding salaries, pensions and redundancies, which has got to be where the most pork barrel spending is but I somehow doubt this will change that.

The system where people are made redundant and then immediately rehired under somewhat dubious consultancy contracts has to be one of the biggest scams going.

The fact that many casual council workers are getting far more than their equal in the private sector should be looked at as a priority as well - look at this for instance. Aberdeen City Council Job Vacancy . You're not telling me that casual catering assistants in the private sector are getting that kind of money!

Is 7.45 p/h that much for someone with food hygenie certificates etc? I really don't know.

Jobcentreplus website seems to suggest that the going rate is about minimum wage to 6.25 in the private sector - so yeah, I'd say that it's excessive.

There's other examples too, like people working in leisure facilities getting well over what the private sector would pay for the same person.